Sign in to follow this  
d3bruts1d

How will extensions in Chrome change the browser wars?

Google Chrome Extensions  

55 members have voted

1. 1. I feel that Chrome Extensions...

• will put IE on a faster death spiral.
    • will be bad news for Firefox.
    • will not impact IE or Firefox, but could be a killing blow to Opera and other smaller web browsers.
    • will cause Apple to add extensions to Safari.
    • will drastically change the browser wars in ways we couldn't imagine.
    • will take a long time before it has any significant impact on the browser wars.
    • Who cares? I'm not dropping IE.
    • Who cares? I'm not dropping Firefox.
    • Who cares? I'm not dropping Opera.
    • Who cares? I'm not dropping Safari (or WebKit).
    • Who cares? I'm not dropping Netscape. (Really?)
    • will make my Chrome experiance even better. It is alreay my main browser.
    • Other - Reply with what you think.

Sorry for the late poll. We had some technical difficulties yesterday that prevented me from adding a new poll. ;)

Google is set to release extensions for the Chrome web browser this week. How do you feel this will impact the browser wars?

I'm ready to switch to chrome from firefox. Just waiting on the extensions I want.

i've been using opera for years now. since firefox didn't sway me, chrome probably won't either.

exactly my point...

I'm not really interested in switching to chrome unless Firefox starts to get bloated and insecure or something like that.

I'd maybe switch to Chrome if there was significant proof it was the best Web Browser out there.

I'm not really interested in switching to chrome unless Firefox starts to get bloated and insecure or something like that.

I'd maybe switch to Chrome if there was significant proof it was the best Web Browser out there.

I already consider Firefox to be bloated... at least compared to chrome.

:withstupid: Firefox works for me. Only reason I have Chrome installed is for website testing since I'm a programmer.

It's faster, more compliant IIRC, and is far better at running multiple heavy-duty sites at once. :P

When you open a tab you dont get a blank page......a simple reason to chose chrome everytime.

Opera is similar, but it didnt like gmail when i was using it, so i swapped to chrome.

The addition of extensions will make Chrome a more competitive browser alternative to Firefox. All flavors of IE will remain firmly entrenched in the corp/business environment except for those companies truly willing to be on the cutting edge. Overall I'd guess that IE7 is still the most widely deployed browser in corp networks/domains.

I really liked the latest Opera 10 release, but it still doesn't reliably save certain cookies (no where near as good as cookieculler for firefox). I use Chrome when I just want to surf the web or visit the forums. There are still some websites though that don't render properly when using either Opera or Chrome - so that can be a hassle. To me the most important feature of any browser is the ability to protect certain cookies/site preferences so you don't have to log back in each time you clear your cookie cache.

Unfortunately for any business/work related tasks I'm still relegated to IE.

IMHO Firefox has gotten steadily worse as far as responsiveness and system resources. Remember the good 'ol days of Firefox vs 2.0? Man that was a smokin' browser and fully functional.

Hopefully Chrome can get there someday. I would certainly use Chrome as my primary browser if it had add-ons for protecting cookies, some type of 3rd party add blocker (like add block plus for firefox), and of course rendered all web pages correctly - especially business sites like financial, banking, credit card etc.

And of course that brings us to the next problem with some of the newer browsers in general - remember how long it took for the majority of business websites to recognize Firefox as a legitimate alternate browser?

Microsoft doesn't help the matter. Hell - you can't even run some of their Windows Live apps if you are using a browser other than IE.