Is this a good $500 system?

zicogja421

Yes the video card will fit, it is low profile ready, but I comes with a full sized bracket. The ram will fit in the motherboard.

http://windowssecrets.com/2009/11/12/02-Cl...he-upgrade-disc

That is a link of how you can use an upgrade disk to do a clean install.

You can do a clean install using the upgrade disk, but that is only if you have Windows installed already. It is a clean install in the sense that you wipe out your hard drive (or at least the partition with the OS on it), but you still need a version of Windows installed on the computer in order to do that. In my case, my friends don't have a computer, so it doesn't apply. But thanks anyway.

Also, I looked on both the Corsair site and the Asus site, and neither compatibility list reports that the RAM will work with this motherboard. Does anyone, by chance, have this exact combo of RAM and mobo working? I would really like to stay with this ram and mobo because they are priced well, well-reviewed, have characteristics that I like, and they are part of good combo deals... so if someone can let me know if this RAM will definitely work, I will greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

why a 9500gt? we have those at school and they dont play much of anything. your much better set going with the build FearSpartan gave you. but i would suggest changing the motherboard for at least a 770 chipset and a 5750 if it will fit.. you have a little wiggle room in the budget for it

Well, supposedly it can play some games decently. My friends aren't really gamers, but I would like them to have the option of at least trying a game or 2 if they want to... they can always upgrade to a more expensive vid card later if they really want it. I just want something's that not crap. Oh, and this vid card is $25 off with the RAM I listed, and it comes with a free COD4 download. And I can't afford to add anything really. As it is, the last list totals to $555 including shipping. This is without the case, which I plan to get for $40, but minus a $30 rebate for stuff from Newegg, that comes to $565 (this is acceptable because the mom said she'd give me a bit more if needed, but I don't want to push it).

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get what iviythos told u

ull get a much more powerful system

with a x2 240 and dvd burner added u can get a good cpu cooler for OC with money to spare

then u can get a sexy case to impress ur frinds with all that leftover money :D

Don't know why you would want to skimp on the graphics card with a 9500gt.

If you want to do any kind of gaming you with your system you need to get a good graphics card.

It should be the most expensive part you buy for your system IMO.

Unless your overclocking don't buy an expensive motherboard.

Might wanna watch on the gamexstreams just had mine completely bite the dust a few weeks ago and it didn't even make it to the 2 year mark. There was also another member on here that just had theirs go as well. I'm usually very happy with ocz products so I was fairly shocked to see it go so soon. Might have just been a bad batch or something but just thought Id throw that out there so you don't have to deal with a dead psu down the road.

Might wanna watch on the gamexstreams just had mine completely bite the dust a few weeks ago and it didn't even make it to the 2 year mark. There was also another member on here that just had theirs go as well. I'm usually very happy with ocz products so I was fairly shocked to see it go so soon. Might have just been a bad batch or something but just thought Id throw that out there so you don't have to deal with a dead psu down the road.

How long did your friend's last??

How long did your friend's last??

Not sure. Not my friend but a member here. Their name is slick2500 and I'm not sure how long they had theirs but I'm sure they wouldn't mind being asked. What was weird is they literally died within days of each other that coupled with ocz selling these refurbs so cheap just makes me leery.

Not sure. Not my friend but a member here. Their name is slick2500 and I'm not sure how long they had theirs but I'm sure they wouldn't mind being asked. What was weird is they literally died within days of each other that coupled with ocz selling these refurbs so cheap just makes me leery.

then again they may have correctly that issue too in the process of refurbishing them??

was yours covered under warranty??

Be carefull about those rebates,,, I dont ever count on them because sometimes they just dont come

and print out the rebate form before you buy the item ,, i bought some stuff and then waited a bit to go find the form and i couldnt find it ,, stupid me ,,,

then again they may have correctly that issue too in the process of refurbishing them??

was yours covered under warranty??

It should be covered but between work, Christmas crap, and trying to have something close to a social life I haven't had time to look into it. It's very plausible that they did fix whatever was wrong however the gxs is still a decent psu considering wattage and amps on the rails even if it's efficiency may not be the best compared to newer psus. Seeing its price that low just throws up redflags for me. More often then not if it looks too good to be true then it probably is. Not trying to rain on the deal you found for the OP just trying to save a fellow member from some possible headaches down the road.

It should be covered but between work, Christmas crap, and trying to have something close to a social life I haven't had time to look into it. It's very plausible that they did fix whatever was wrong however the gxs is still a decent psu considering wattage and amps on the rails even if it's efficiency may not be the best compared to newer psus. Seeing its price that low just throws up redflags for me. More often then not if it looks too good to be true then it probably is. Not trying to rain on the deal you found for the OP just trying to save a fellow member from some possible headaches down the road.

It's tough to call since the OP has such a tight budget since he could buy a low quality PSU with known issues of poorness or a good PSU like the OCZ where the problems are unknown (if any). If he gets a brand new high quality unit however the rest of the build would suffer tremendously :closedeyes:

It sucks since I built a quad core x4 940 build for both of my dad and friend for $400 and $450 (400+$50 monitor). I just pieced together a whole bunch of hardware that other people were selling on here