First Time OCer... 3.79GHz!!! Tips??

Gopher Love

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I can help out around here. I myself need help sometimes and other members take the time to post in my threads so I just give a little something back. :)

Also ya all motherboards (even the older ones) have a place in the bios that will have options that are changeable and will determine at which point the PC will automatically take action for things like high temps, be it warnings, turning it's self off and some other things that I can't remember right now. Mine are in PC Health Status but every bios is different so it might be different for you but they do exist for sure. You should check them though to see if they are set to values that are convenient for you.

As for your cpu, I just want to remind you...or tell you if you don't know that loosening ram timings might help with the cpu overclock stability though it depends how much you want to loosen and if it won't actually make it slower. Also increasing the NB frq is helpful. For me it helps me get my cpu from 3.8 to 3.9 Without it, I simply can't.

Another little tip you might wanna try sometime: As you know, as of yet very little software/games takes advantage of quad core processors meaning that the extra 2 cores don't yield a great increase in performance. Now, if your bios supports an option called ACC aka Advanced Clock Calibration, you could modify how many cores you want active. This means that it is possible to disable 2 of 4 cores and transform that into sweet mhz. As you know games don't require a super fast cpu, rather a good gpu so for todays standards a 2.4Ghz cpu is enough. That means that if you actually get something good out of disabling 2 of 4 cores, that won't stop you to revert back to a quad when the quad technology starts to get implemented more. Of course this concept didn't work out with my cpu as it is a dual core, and making it into a single core...doesn't help, but a quad to dual it might actually give you some extra juice. This concept was already used on intel i5's though there is no reason to not get good results with an AMD. :thumbs-up:

EDIT: Hey freak, you wouldn't happen to have one of those magical guide for overclocking an xfx radeon 4870 now would you? (probably won't work anyway but I'd give it another go if I find a new way to approach it)

Edited by ballist1x

Yea I know there is no real performance increase... honestly it's pure ego here... I have my stable OC... I'm trying to push it further and keep it stable.

Like I said though, I think I hit the limit here at 3.8... it's as stable as ever and temps are just a little higher than i'de like (reduced voltage a bit and it's still stable... might get rid of some heat...) but anyways, I just want to get as high as I can for pure joy of it.. has nothing to do with actual performance increase. I have as much of that as I need just upgrading to this setup (had an old AM2 MB with a AMD athlon 64 X2 5400+)

But if you really saw those gains in your GPU then I might actually try to OC it eventually... I wanna get myself a little more knowledgable in OCing first before I mess with that... I really cant afford to F that up...

I'm sorry about a double post (i'll admit I didn't read the rules fully but most forums have rules about double posts... so sorry) but I didn't see the second page here. Thanks for that guide freak, i'll look into it.

And ballist1x, Thank you... lol i'm glad you decided to give back. And yea I need to learn more about RAM before I get into OCing that... Like I said I dont know that much but I know basics about OCing my CPU.. thats about it.

I have my NB clocked to 2460 from 2000 and the voltage up to 1.200 so I already pushed that one up a little to help out. I'm looking into memory now and studying up. If you guys know a good guide that gets nice and detailed then I would LOVE that.

As for the making the quad core into a dual core... Yes, my motherboard has ACC but I didn't have any idea thats what it could do.. My MBs manual says all it does is allow you to set your "CPU Ratio" higher and is only available if CPU supports it... I figured it was basically what a Black Edition AMD CPU does...

Oh and BTW... I gave in and let Prime95 run for a good 10-15 min and the temps spiked to 53.5C and then leveled out to 50C... So It was just the initial spike that gave me high temps and scared me...

I'll look into the MBs ACC and the temp shutdown thing your talkin about. I definately wanna set that right...

So if anyone knows a good memory OC guide or just a place that has alot of OC guides that I can browse through. I wanna keep reading on this stuff so I can really wrap my head around it.

I've got some nice RAM guides for you:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=588547 this one even I haven't finished reading yet

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/26706-info-r...gs-dummies.html read this first as it is a little more simple and it will kind of help you in the very beginning so when you read the more complex one you'll already know some stuff.

About the ACC: Well...nobody knows EXACTLY what it does as it does more that just unlock cores. Though that is enough for now. Since no one knows it's exact function, and it's whole capability, theres nothing more to it that just unlocking/disabling cores and telling it what kind you want, should it be a quad, a tri a dual or heck even a single.

http://www.edgeofstability.com/images/790f...s/feature_l.jpg This is what my ACC looks like. If I want to unlock cores, I set Advanced Clock Calibration to "Auto", and then I think after a reboot of the pc and another enter in the bios, I go into AMD Family 10h Down Core and I choose what kind I want. Thats all I know. The other things some say that increase stability if you play with them, some say they do nothing...so I don't touch em for now. Maybe AMD made a function that only they know what it does, and they're like "lol look at those noobs...they don't know what it does and only we know...we're so cool" OR, even they don't know what it does...idc lol.

Thanks, i'll look into those guides... still stuck at 3800 by the way... can't get stable prime95 runs with anything higher... Maybe i'll figure some ingenious way to bring in my nice 0C or lower winter air....

And as for the ACC.. i'm sure AMD doesnt know what it does either.. just sounds like a nice feature that they wanted to put in there....

Thanks, i'll look into those guides... still stuck at 3800 by the way... can't get stable prime95 runs with anything higher... Maybe i'll figure some ingenious way to bring in my nice 0C or lower winter air....

And as for the ACC.. i'm sure AMD doesnt know what it does either.. just sounds like a nice feature that they wanted to put in there....

Get a phase change unit or some ln2 lol

HAHA yea umm cheap is the name of the game for me.. cheap but still high quality....

I can't afford to be buying LN2 all the time

I want it to run constantly.. I'm thinking about setting up liquid cooling for my CPU and MB components and then making some sort of ice box for it.. Like find a way to make the refrigeration of a freezer work on my cooling fluid.. then add some sort of antifreeze to it so I can get it down nice and low... but thats complicated....

I GOT MY SSD!!!! WOOO computer is REALLLY fast now.. installed windows in just like 15 min or something (I wasn't here... ) but I can install programs (lots of writing to the disk) in like under 1 min.. for everything i've done so far...

One problem is size ( only a 32GB and reads 30GB when installed and i've already used 16 but theres only 10GB of physical files... know why? me either.. so i'm gonna post it right now...

I know nothing about SSD's.

I can tell you though, that liquid cooling is useless. Won't do much better than proper cable management, good case with fans and good heatsinks where needed. I mean....it might...might give you better results literally speaking...though considering how much you'd have to pay for a good system...the maintenance, the liquid. I'm not sure it's worth it. Also PC gets very heavy...you can't take to too many places...gotta watch out for that liquid...you don't want it to spill it or anything.

Really?? You dont think liquid cooling would do much??? I have great cable management because my case lets me run cables behind the MB tray and I have a HUGE case with 4 140mm and 2 120 mm (soon to be 140MM cuz the 120s I have are to loud at full speed...)

And by the way, this computer NEVER moves.. just the case is like 40 pounds, loaded with all my supplies I have like a 80 pound case... I have to be careful where I lift it or it'll bend or break the parts.

EDIT: Hey I got an IDEA!!! It's CRAZY but I think in theory it could work very well...

Ok so basics of liquid cooling and any other cooling. The CPU being cooled, CANNOT no matter what be cooled down lower than ambient temps... neither can the liquid cooling it. But what if the ambient temps for the liquid were 0C..??? I have a mini fridge that I dont use that much.

What if I get myself a nice little external pump/radiator setup (like one of the EXOS systems from Koolance) and just set it in my fridge, which on low can freeze anything...

Do you think it might be able to transfer the heat well enough to cool the water down to some nice cool temps???

I want to be able to get some extreme cooling with longevity.. i.e. not using LN2 or DICE and having to continuously buy the stuff and refill it... I want something thats nice and cold but can be run 24/7...

Edited by Gopher Love

Well...I guess it MIGHT work....Won't know until you try it though. Just don't put the PC in the fridge as that has already been tried and hasn't worked. As for the liquid set up alone, yes...with a case with fans like yours...it won't do much better. Except make it heavier, time consuming to maintain etc. Not worth it. I'd never buy liquid cooling....unless someone gave me like 5000$ for no reason..then maybe I'd make a new system for experiments with liquid...just to get experience with it as see how bad it is lol. Then spend the rest on useful stuff.

So you do agree that there is a possiblity a liquid cooling setup with the resevior and the radiator inside of a VERY cold fridge could cool the liquid down so that it has better results than a normal liquid cooling setup... good enough for me, gotta wait for my next couple checks and then its on!

I would just go straight for extreme cooling but like I said, I want something that is constantly cooling without having to continuously buy LN2 or DICE....