all lights on cable modem blink in sync

actionstan

hello again, the other day i came home from work and i had no internet connectivity (and still dont from my cable company i however do have internet from my dsl company) and i looked at the lights on the cable modem and they are ALL blinking at the same time, off and on off and on, and every now and then it will variate like two will bink at the same time and none of the others will blink at all... is my cable modem shot, is it telling me something and im just not catching what its trying to say, PLEASE HELP lol a new modem cost 100 dollars from radioshack... :( i have tried resetting it, nothing, ive tried unplugging it still nothing.. it just blinks on and off constantly.. to me it seems like it got hit by a surge... or something radical

Ever thought that your cable company is doing work on the cable lines? This happens to me every now and then and its because they are doing work on the lines. But if it continues tomorrow just give them a call and see whats up.

Ever thought that your cable company is doing work on the cable lines? This happens to me every now and then and its because they are doing work on the lines. But if it continues tomorrow just give them a call and see whats up.

+1, with cable, phone, and internet issues, it's best to wait a bit before sending a call.

If all the lights are blinking constant on, constant off, there's a possibility that the modem is bad. I've had experience with a motorola telephone modem (telephone through cable service) and if there was a short in the output telephone line, all of the lights would blink on and off. The only way to reset it was to pull the backup battery out.

Edited by airman

It has been days a new cable would have to be a cross over cable so I don't know where to find one exactly besides make one

Edited by actionstan

• 3 weeks later...
hello again, the other day i came home from work and i had no internet connectivity (and still dont from my cable company i however do have internet from my dsl company) and i looked at the lights on the cable modem and they are ALL blinking at the same time, off and on off and on, and every now and then it will variate like two will bink at the same time and none of the others will blink at all... is my cable modem shot, is it telling me something and im just not catching what its trying to say, PLEASE HELP lol a new modem cost 100 dollars from radioshack... :( i have tried resetting it, nothing, ive tried unplugging it still nothing.. it just blinks on and off constantly.. to me it seems like it got hit by a surge... or something radical

I've had the same problem before with my BThome hub. I fixed it by clicked on my internet browser, and it said that there was no internet connectivity. It displayed a web page which was coming from the hub not the internet, there was a link that said 'connect to internet'. I clicked this and it worked.