pezcore

Having a hard time pinning down audio crackle

Ok, so here's the scoop... I JUST installed an M-Audio Delta 2496 because I was getting crackling noises while listening to anything (movies, mostly) on my PC via the onboard audio. The problem is I'm STILL getting the crackling sounds. I even disabled the onboard audio in the BIOS, verified that windows no longer saw the device, and still get the crackles. What's the problem?

I KNOW it's not the amp or speakers because I plugged in an iPod directly and had 0 problems.

I also just remembered that before this build, I had 2 different Creative SB Audigy cards in here and they both did the same thing too. Is there an incompatibility with a sound card's output and certain amps?

AMP: Niles 2 channel SI-45 now using Sony Receiver

Speakers: Martin Logan Mosaic

Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 2496 now using onboard digital audio, same results :angry2:

Previous SC's: Onboard Azalia, Soundblaster Audigy SE, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, M-Audio Delta 2496

HALP!

Edited by pezcore

Might be a mobo problem, not an audio card problem. Or interference. Also do u get the cracking noise always or only when there is sound? A long shot I know, but maybe it will help u figure something out.

I'm also intrigued as to how u disabled the on board audio from the bios. I need to disable mine as well but never go around to finding ot the way to remove it. So what I did is simply disabled it from the DevMngr.

Edited by ballist1x

Might be a mobo problem, not an audio card problem. Or interference. Also do u get the cracking noise always or only when there is sound? A long shot I know, but maybe it will help u figure something out.

I'm also intrigued as to how u disabled the on board audio from the bios. I need to disable mine as well but never go around to finding ot the way to remove it. So what I did is simply disabled it from the DevMngr.

Well, this is the 3rd mobo I've had since I started noticing these issues. They've all been Gigabyte EP45's so maybe that has something to do with it?

The crackling is only when audio is playing back.

To disable the onboard audio I went into the BIOS and disabled the Azaelia Codec option.

Maybe try some different combinations of sound card/mobo? It will be time consuming but it's the only way I know that might tell you where the problem is. Unless you are 100% that all some of the parts work perfectly. If all 3 mobos have been the same thing than I guess that might be the problem. Do you have a different mobo to try your sound card on?

Edited by ballist1x

Well I had a EP45-UD3R, then a UD3P, then a UD3R again. I guess I could check the EP45 thread at xtremesystems and see if there is a recurring audio issue...

Maybe your sound card is over amped for the sound output your hooking it up too, go into windows sound properties and turn master volume down too half or more. Then turn your amp up.

Use an alternate wire if possible before proceeding to check that it's not some combination of your computer a strange wire and your amp.

Check equipment around your tower try and keep the area of the wire going from the PC to your amp away from any electrical device. Power strips, Adapters for cell phones or other electrical devices, routers, any game consoles or media devices, any electrical source what so ever.

Another thought is that you have a short in or near your case, a common short can be caused by miss wired powersupplys, failing hardware- check especially hard drives, Rom drives, and fans if you have an old fan that has traction in it's ball bearings it can cause power surging.

Your power supply could be making an incomplete connection to the case causing in proper grounding.

;;CAUTION!! you will release a fine grit of metal into your case I strongly recommend removing everything completely before proceeding

Try removing the screws, sand the screws, the screw holes and the case where the screws come into contact with it with a fine grit sand paper, make sure your case's paint isn't in contact with the screw area or else sand it off, vacuum and then wash with a clean towel dampened enough so that it will not leave water behind and scrub it down, you must get all the tiny metal grit out.

Edited by AnomalousX

Ok, gonna try and answer all these...

Reconfigured this again, using the onboard digital out (tried optical AND coax) and though it seems to crackle less, it still happens. Especially in Windows Media Center (I was watching scrubs)

I think me using onboard rules out over-amping issues, as well as interference (not possible with optical)

Also, I've used different high quality cables (AudioQuest) for each of my attempts (Mini, RCA, Optical, D Coax...)

I had a Corsair 750TX PSU, and had switched to the 750HX not long ago, and am using very few of the leads, plus my wire management is good.

No, my cell phone is not near my PC

I use CCC Pack for my audio codecs, and am on a pretty fresh install of Windows 7 x64.

I'm still wondering if it's an issue with these boards (otherwise it's a software issue, I think, because WMC seemed to be the worst offender when I was watching scrubs)

Things that I KNOW are not the problem:

My speakers

My speaker wires

My amplifier

My interconnects

Right now, I am listening to Windows Media Player, and it's crackling. WMP and Firefox are the only programs open.

My computer and receiver are on separate surge protectors, fwiw...

*edit - Oh, and all my music is kept on a separate hdd and I have plenty of RAM and processing power, so I don't see how I'm over-stressing anything... sigh

Edited by pezcore

I assume the board has a crappy Realtek 88x audio codec chip. The Realtek driver let's you set different output formats, it can go as high as 192KHz, 24bit. Can you play around with that setting a little bit?

Another thing to think about is the output format. Do you do an SPDIF pass-through, and if so, what format is it, compressed, uncompressed?

I've used CCCP for a while, but I found it lacking, since it relies on FF AV codecs for most formats, and I prefer AC3 for audio, and for video I want it to be close the the actual codec.

I assume the board has a crappy Realtek 88x audio codec chip. The Realtek driver let's you set different output formats, it can go as high as 192KHz, 24bit. Can you play around with that setting a little bit?

Another thing to think about is the output format. Do you do an SPDIF pass-through, and if so, what format is it, compressed, uncompressed?

I've used CCCP for a while, but I found it lacking, since it relies on FF AV codecs for most formats, and I prefer AC3 for audio, and for video I want it to be close the the actual codec.

I've played with those, didn't seem to make much of a difference. it was crackling alot yesterday, just when I was playing music, which I'm pretty sure does not activate any of the audio codecs (MP3's in WMP) because I checked the system tray and saw none of the icons.

What I don't get is why I'm getting the same trouble with both onboard and the PCI cards I tried, on DIFFERENT boards! argh!