RIP Verran

grounded87

Wow, I haven't logged onto OCC in forever. I used to be on here like mad. Verran always had helpful things to read or in response to my posts. Was a great contributor. I'm getting this news late. I would like to have seen the memorial, by chance you have videos?

RIP Verran. :foldon:

Wow, I haven't logged onto OCC in forever. I used to be on here like mad. Verran always had helpful things to read or in response to my posts. Was a great contributor. I'm getting this news late. I would like to have seen the memorial, by chance you have videos?

RIP Verran. :foldon:

I am not sure if they took video or not. I don't think that should be made public anyways. I forgot to get pics up on here I will get them up soon.

It was a public ceremony for his honor, I think OCC should be able to see it IF it was made.

No it wasn't, the first one was private invite only.

The second one was more like party and that was public, so two different events. The first one was where all the speeches were done.

Not it wasn't the first one was private invite only.

The second one was more like party and that was public, so two different events. The first one was where all the speeches were done.

There is not a video, there are some pictures but they are mostly of family.

I am completely shocked to hear of this :( It has been a while since I last browsed the forums and I just happened to log in today looking for some specific help. As I browsed through some threads over the past couple weeks I found myself asking "where are the intelligent, well written, witty responses I have come to expect from good ol Verran?" I worried to myself that maybe he had stopped posting here but it didn't seem likely as he has been faithful here so many years, some further investigation led me to this very sad thread..... What can I say that hasn't already been said? It's a little late but I just wanted to say what a tremendous loss this is for OCC and its members. As many have stated he was so gifted in the way he debated and gave advice. He freely gave of his time to help others including myself on numerous topics. I could always count on him to bring reason and great logic to any topic, he will be dearly missed. My condolences to his family especially his wife. RIP Ryan

• 2 months later...

hmm, I had a cancerous tissue in my right ear(80% hearing loss) called a Cholesteatoma (not overly serious, but if left alone could be fatal), only being 4 when I got it removed and at 6 with another removal, because of regrowth, I don't remember much about the procedures and surgery. Cancer is quite a mysterious beast.

My condolences

Edited by CowKing

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what kind of cancer Verran had? I have this submandibular gland that has been swollen for more than 5 months :(.. Went to see 4 doctors but all said to disregard it. I feel no pain but from time to time, I feel random pain radiation from the gland to my ear near it. Why do doctors seem to brush off such an issue and think the patient is a nut until they realized it's a bigger issue?

I was told but off the top of my head I cannot remember.

On another note I have been going through all of the entries and such preparing them for Ryan's family talk about tough.

Thank you again to all of you that submitted something I have enjoyed reading everything so far. I wanted to share this little poem that one of the members sent it. I won't name him but I really enjoyed it so I will leave you with it.

When they heard the news, their day stopped. It didn't matter if they were at work, at home, or wherever, they all stopped what they were doing.

Those that had been close to him had been the first to know, and they told everybody else he had ever known. "Verran," they sorrowfully said as they bowed their heads out of respect.

Those that had seen him around before had been the next to know. They raised a moment of silence as thousands of fans suddenly died, all in his name. "Verran," they quietly said after a minute had passed. Yet still their fans lay silent, their owners lacking the will to turn them back on after that news.

Next came those that had barely met him. "Verran," they said, not quite understanding exactly who he was. They regarded him as a mentor, one with many years of wisdom over them. They mourned him like they would if their favorite teacher had died. They rallied to have a memorial day for him each year, each time on his birthday.

Finally came those that had not met him before. "Verran," they said, following the footsteps of those that came before them. While perplexed at who he was, they would soon learn of who he was and what he believed in. Numbers came flowing in from proteins in his name, all sponsored by they who had not the chance to meet him.

Our beloved Verran, the best moderator around, passed away.