Need some double-checks on new CPU

Here's what I have currently:

ABIT KN8 SLI Motherboard: Supports AMD Athlon 64/64x2/64FX Dual core, 939 Socket CPUs

[not exact board]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-225R-_-Product

AMD Athlon 64 CPU - 2.2GHz

MSI N9800GT Video card

2G Memory

I need to upgrade my CPU because apparently it can't keep up with my newer video card and support its full potential [40 fps avg in CSS and general dx9 games]

So my questions are:

If I upgrade to the 2.9GHz dual core http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103279 will it support the 9800 card fully?

If the 2.9GHz is plenty, will it support dual video? [two 9800s]

Will I need more memory?

Etc.

And basically, are there any other problems with doing this

Thanks a lot =]

Edited by Vergo

The processor you linked is AM2, you would need 939. However, it's not really worth pouring money in an old platform. IMO, stick to it for a little while longer if you have to and upgrade your processor, board and RAM ;)

I run a 8800GTS with a dual core socket 939 processor. I haven't found a source game I can't max.

However, you're going to be hard pressed to find a good dual core 939 these days...and you'll pay a hefty price premium for one if you can.

I'd just hop ship and go for a AM3 setup. About $300 will get you an X2 550, 2x2GB of memory and a nice 790X motherboard. Getting SLI support may be more intimidating.

I don't know if a 9800gt would be able to do this but that is a pci express x16 slot. (version 1) and The graphics card you have requires a pci-express 2.0 to function to its full potential. I had the same thing happen with my 9800GT. only diffence was my mobo was a Abit KN9-SLI :D. given it is a good board but like Zertz said the System you have is slightly outdated. It may be time to upgrade if you want but I cna almost garuntee that the Board you have will never put the 9800 gt you have on edge. Here is a link to the boards page LINK THIS

Also Crazy-nate. Msi makes an am3 board 980a chipset that supports DDR3..... I cannot wait to get one. :)Link THIS

Edited by boinker

Yea i knew my comp was outdated, i just figured i could throw $50 into a new dual core and get much better video that what im dealing with.

I dunno about the PCI port thing, is that possible? That the slot is causing my video to be dulled down, not the cpu?

Edited by Vergo

When do the new AMD fusion processors come out?

Yea i knew my comp was outdated, i just figured i could throw $50 into a new dual core and get much better running video.

Like Nate mentioned, I don't think you'll find a good 939 processor at a decent price.

Oh yea im an idiot haha i linked that AM2 CPU and not a 939 =p

And yea I dont even see 939s anymore really ;/ Oh well looks like i have to get a few new components. No prob, just no money lol

Edited by Vergo

Alright well,

I run Windows XP

150G Harddrive [sata]

I have an Acer LCD 19" wide, 1440x900 res is almost always what I use

Nvidia and graphic settings in general are usually set to max [unless its a newer game]

That's about all the rest i guess. Or did you mean the rest of what I want? =]

Other games I play are Heroes of Newerth, Steam games in general [TF2, CS, HL2, Gmod, etc], and 'smaller' games. Honestly, CSS is the most 'intense' thing i play regularly.

*edit* DUH somehow I forgot all about the PS.. It's a Thermaltake, I wanna say 300-450W...that's a guess though

*edit* Double checked the res on CSS, it's usually 1280x1024. I tried 1024x768 and the FPS only went up about 20 (from 30 avg to 50 avg)

I think i'll make a new post with the hardware I want as well.

Edited by Vergo