I was wondering whether my computer is stable...I can run prime 95 for 10+ hours without a problem at 1.25v (i7 920) OC'd to 3.8 on small FFT's but when i set it to large FFT's it has fatal errors on all cores within 10 seconds.

I also get a problem with super pi - i can complete all calculations fine apart from 32M which is non convergent on the first Loop. But when I try and complete on of the previous ones e.g. 1M it comes up with the same message although 20secs before hand it was perfectly fine... :blink: Im pretty bamboozled by this odd behaviour - is my system unstable (i doubt due to processing of video files and 10+ hours prime without errors) or is there a problem with compatibility or just the software itself??

prime crashes straight away on blend, i tested the RAM and it came up with errors (memtest) but the RAM is at stock settings...i gave it some more juice and still got errors =/ Does that suggest that my RAM is faulty? Or would my CPU overclock have some effect on it?

GR -

Your system is not 100% toaster stable if you are getting errors in Prime blend mode and superpi+failing memtest.

First step here is to reload optimized BIOS defaults, leave everything at stock settings except for adjusting your four primary memory timings and dram voltage to factory specs.

Then re-run your stability/stress testing apps and see if you pass at stock settings. First thing we have to establish is that your hardware is top spot and will work at stock settings.

After that you can start working on your overclock.

I have tested everything stock and the RAM came up with an error after about 10 minutes. I tried upping the DRAM and QPI voltages but this seemed to have no effect on reducing errors. Im guessing I have some bad RAM so Im going to test each individual stick seperatly to see which is the culprit as it only seems to have errors within the 4thGB of RAM when testing (I run 5 instances of Memtest - each 1GB).

One of the stick seems to be unable to get to the rated settings which is a bit of a bummer. Thankfully i have until thursday to return them within the 28day refund time :D Im gonna get some different sticks as i can get better RAM now for the same price I got these...anyone suggest any? Budget of

GR -

What's your location so we can recommend something that you might be able to purchase in your neck of the woods?

Any brand name memory will probably do you just fine. Lately I've been using a lot of Mushkin and G.Skill products with a slight nod to G.Skill for price versus performance. But OCZ, Patriot, Corsair etc. all make great memory too.

I would be looking for a 3X2gb kit at DDR3 1600 speed with tight timings of say 8-8-8-21 or 8-8-8-24.

If I were purchasing right now and ordering from New Egg - here is the kit I would personally buy;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145236

Edited by wevsspot