Computer's Dead

FunkyMonkey

my desktop suddenly shuts down today and now it wont turn back on. i push the power button and nothing happens, psu fan doesnt spin, hard drive doesnt spin

i tested the psu by shorting the green and black wires on the main atx connector and only the psu fan spins

what should be the next step in diagnosing this problem?

Thanks

Edited by FunkyMonkey

when the psu is plugged in and the main atx connector is plugged into the mobo, should there be 12v between the yellow and black wire on the molex connector going to the hard drive?

Only when the PSU is turned on. There should be 5v between the red and the black as well.

i shorted the green and black wires on the main atx connector and checked the voltages of all the connectors and everything looks fine. i get 17V from the yellow wires and 7V from the red wires. i still dont know if its the psu because the issues could be from putting the psu under load.

i've also reset the bios and that did nothing

what else could cause a sudden shut down? can a mobo just suddenly die and if so how can i make sure its the mobo?

Thanks

i've also reset the bios and that did nothing

what else could cause a sudden shut down? can a mobo just suddenly die and if so how can i make sure its the mobo?

Could be a current issue still, make sure by trying another psu. That or the motherboard fried. Check if anything was de-soldered too.

sure, the motherboard could have had numerous things go wrong with it all the sudden.

how old is the motherboard?

is it still under warranty?

you may consider doing an rma on it...

maybe call the company if it's still under warranty and explain the situation to see what they have.

fixed a pc awhile back that was in a power surge, the motherboard was the culprit...

power supply is fine.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer