Fallout 3...worst rpg of all time?

Computation

LOL, FO3 has bad graphics?

No that isn't what I said at all.

Fallout has a brand new feel to it...It makes me really feel like Bethesda didn't dare try to glamourise it at all, which when you think about it is a very bold move, considering most of todays gamers are graphics whores who need rounded edges and a sharp stylistic look to everything.

Bethesda havn't tried to make a decrepit and broken wasteland based around Washington DC look like a fantasy world, simply because, well, it's post-war DC. You're thrown into a land of collapsed buildings, scorched earth, mountains of rubble, and people struggling to survive. The game looks beautiful, the graphics are still amazing, but what I'm saying is they didn't try to make the Wasteland look appealing to run around in. The game is set in 2277 but they didn't make it look modern!

They decided to go against the people who say "it looks crap. It's all broken rubble and yellowy-green and looks like a bomb hit the place :B" :blink:

Even the HUD looks old and dated. I love it =P But it still looks damn good, get what I'm saying now?

Edited by Danrik

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No that isn't what I said at all.

Bethesda havn't tried to make a decrepit and broken wasteland based around Washington DC look like a fantasy world, simply because, well, it's post-war DC. You're thrown into a land of collapsed buildings, scorched earth, mountains of rubble, and people struggling to survive. The game looks beautiful, the graphics are still amazing, but what I'm saying is they didn't try to make the Wasteland look appealing to run around in.

They decided to go against the people who say "it looks crap. It's all broken rubble and yellowy-green and looks like a bomb hit the place :B" :blink:

Even the HUD looks old and dated. I love it =P But it still looks damn good, get what I'm saying now?

I'm going to disagree with you here. If the gamers bought a post-apocalyptic game and found themselves in a lush game environment like in a fantasy world, THEN they'd find the game unappealing. I'm not saying Bethesda didn't do an awesome job with the environments and graphics, but I totally disagree that they took a risk in making a post-apocalyptic game look like a post-apocalyptic game.

I'm kind of late on the topic but I personally didn't like fallout 3. To me it didn't feel like an RPG but just felt like any other FPS out there, that's all there was to it was shooting, I mean you could talk your way out of stuff on there but why not just shoot them? As for stuff like the graphics or landscape, I personally didn't like it either, graphics were good but didn't make me want to play the game as I am not a graphics fanatic. The landscape looked very bland when actually exploring, like when you are standing out in the middle of now where and you look around and the only interesting thing in sight is a busted up bridge, you traveled to that bridge just to get attacked by the same bandits that attack you anywhere in the game and that was it, nothing special about this bridge or it surroundings. The only way to find something interesting was to go and look for caves and vaults because that's where all the really interesting stuff was, I would give some examples but it might spoil something for someone so I won't. There are probably a lot of things I could ramble on with this but I won't because I just wanted to give my opinion and not rant.

Exactly, you're pretty much thrown into a completely unknown world.

Fend for yourself, find items, talk to people, kill them, steal from them essentially anything goes...

I hate games like that....I do what I want irl. o_o

To me, playing fallout 3 is like a chore rather than a fun video game experience.

Edited by Computation

I hate games like that....I do what I want irl. o_o

To me, playing fallout 3 is like a chore rather than a fun video game experience.

Then why do you even play it?

Read the description before you buy games people, don't buy it if it doesn't interest you.

It's still much better than most of the crap they call "RPG" nowadays. Would of liked it much better if they used something more in line with Fallout Tactics combat system instead of the FPS+lol VATS. It does, at least, contain all the basic features a true RPG should have.

Edited by Fatedmeeting

VATS is optional so you could just run and gun. Its action point based and ties into your skills for the RPG-ey bit as well. A good effort at implementing turn based combat into a real time 3rd person/FPS.

See post #10

There's no way you could play it on hard difficulty and NOT use VAT...probably not on normal either, but I don't remember what setting I had it on. When you eventually get to super mutants, armored foes, etc., VAT is essential.

You get to some opponents in this game where you pretty much HAVE to use VATS if you are using ranged or close range weapons, you can get away with using explosives if you aim well enough bit thats not always the best option...

VATS is optional so you could just run and gun. Its action point based and ties into your skills for the RPG-ey bit as well. A good effort at implementing turn based combat into a real time 3rd person/FPS.

As I originally said, I wanted something more in line with what was seen in Fallout Tactics. I prefer that over the FPS thing in a RPG game.

Anyone else agree with this? lol. I bought it months ago and played through a bit of it. Couldn't stand it at all so I put it away and started playing it again recently. It's still the same garbage lol.

The combat system is just....blahh. There's no real point to the vat system is there? I mean I haven't played through 20% of the game but it looks like I can just shoot normally through first person view and kill more efficiently.

I don't like the landscape either. It just looks bland and boring. heh

YES! What a total noob this game is. Too bad so many noobs think it's good or has skill involved or something.