mizzl

Too hot for a Scythe Mugen 2?

I recently overclocked my i7 920 (D0) to 191x21=4011Ghz at 1.25v, and I think I'm getting absurdly high temps for .05v extra juice on my Scythe Mugen 2, namely core temps of 76/75/71/72 (Specs in my sig) Should I reseat my heatsink and reapply the thermal goo or are these normal temps?

thermal paste is not going to do a great change , maybe 0-3 temps will drop , if you are worried , and freaking out , i think a better cooler : prolimatech megahalmes..one of our memebers here got his 920 to 4.3 stable with nice temps ..

Those temps sound right, its just the heatsink, it aint the best. What program you using to measure them, what program is stress testing them to that temp? If that is idle then yes it totally needs to be reseated cleaned and have thermal paste reapplied.

Edited by xchrissypoox

I stress test with Prime95/IBT and measure temps with RealTemp/CoreTemp/HWMonitor :S

From what I've heard buying a better HS will save you at most about 3c, so I'm not going for that. If anyone has a suggestion to lower temps by about 5-7c, please tell me about them!

Edited by mizzl

Im using a cogage true spirit and with similar settings max out at 72C and average 68C, every little bit helps having a better HS decrease temps a lot (compared to stock) and then theres thermal paste which may help if you're using really crappy paste, my antec formula 5 slowly got lower and lower max temps over the first few weeks. Having proper airflow can help. Having a low ambient temp can help a lot, if your room is hot then that will definitely increase temps and that may be the problem. Do you have a front intake fan and 2 exhaust fans (rear and top)?

Nvm, I adjusted some stuff and now my temps max out at around 72 degrees on hottest core, at 4011Mhz and 1.23750v. Does this sound about right to you guys?