Sign in to follow this  
D@3HaM1nGuK

sound quality expectations

ok guy i have a sony str de 495 reciver and its connected to my computer via optical to the stock back panel optical audio output. my motherboard is the gigabyte x48 dq6, im currently using some crappy speakers in 5.1 set up and if not that i plug in my ear phones in which are $65AUD. i recently ordered the grado rs125i headphones and it should be getting here in 1 more weeks time. would i get much better sound quality with that?

what would give me better sound quality? by connecting the pc to the reciver then pluging the head phones in and listening through that or by pluging in the headphones directly to the computer?(headphone refering to grado headphones)

other option is:(if i do buy a that sound card)

asus xonar essence stx > reciver > headphone

or

asus xonar essence stx > headphone

thx for ur opinions ^_^

I am no expert when it comes to headphones but i would assume the reciever would be much more capable then your asus. Should have far more output. But don't take my word for it, just try it out both ways and let your ears tell you what is better.

if you are already considering buying the STX, go ahead and buy it:

the sound quality of the soundcard is much better than onboard audio

the headphone amplification on the card is on-par with $100-150 dedicated headphone amps, imo

so, the STX is better than onboard, the STX headphone amp is MUCH better than the receiver headphone amp... so it's double better :D

as for your current set up, headphones from receiver will sound ok (but the sound quality of onboard audio will be apparent), direct from soundcard will probably sound horrible/distorted/lame

so ur saying:

soundcard > reciever > headphone is best

soundcard > headphone is 2nd best

onboard > reciever > headphone is 3rd best

onboard > headphone is crap

right?

oh and headphone is referring to my grado rs125i... they cost about $150USD

Edited by [email protected]