Google's Chrome OS

d3bruts1d

Epic fail or win? What do you think about Chrome OS?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel Google Chrome will be a success?

• No way, Microsoft's grasp will be unfazed by Chrome OS.
    • No way, it's time for Apple and OS X to rule.
    • No way, only a real Linux OS can rule the OS world.
    • An OS that you don't install anything on? If it cannot play games, it'll suck.
    • No, Google has gone too far this time. They should stick with search and email.
    • I don't like Google, so that'd be a big NO.
    • I'll only give it a try if I can run Firefox.
    • So, it is just an OS inside a browser? Lame!
    • Absolutely not. I'm still on dial-up, and the thought of a cloud based OS scares me!
    • Chrome OS? No. But another distro based on it might be great.
    • Will it be? Who cares, I'm already running it!
    • It isn't for me, but it'll be great not to have to fix my _______'s computer anymore.
    • A web based OS? Sounds great for my needs.
    • Maybe. It is still too early to tell.
    • Maybe. I'll certainly give it a try.
    • Absolutely, everything Google does turns to gold.
    • Sure. The only things I do are web based anyway.
    • Windows? OS X? Chrome? I'm done with them all.
    • Other - Here is what I think... (leave a comment)

Actually, that could be done also!
I will never leave it up to other people to decide how my game looks.

If this ever went mainstream and "cloud" gaming became popular it would kill nvidia and Ati because consumers wouldn't need powerful graphics cards as all of their content would be streamed to them.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this ever went mainstream and "cloud" gaming became popular it would kill nvidia and Ati because consumers wouldn't need powerful graphics cards as all of their content would be streamed to them.

Then why is ATi working on their own cloud? OTOY is of their making and it's for cloud gaming and they seem to think the future is in cloud computing. I don't think it will so much kill them, but just change the market. There will still be people who prefer to play games on their PCs, bring in card sales. And then there will be the need for cards to be put into cloud servers to give them the horse power to do what they need to do.

All in All though I would much prefer to keep my gaming local, but cloud computing would be wonderful for things like video editing and whatnot, that is if the internet bandwidth ever reaches the point where the streaming would be able to keep up with the processing power server side.

Edited by XxHellxRaizerxX

From what I have seen of this OS, it will make a great netbook / low end PC OS... I don't really think google is making it to compete with Apple/Microsoft, they are trying to make a product of their own and target it at a product that is somewhat different than the big two offer...

It is based on Ubuntu/debian from what I have read, just striped of the GNOME desktop, and replaced with google's UI. I dunno if their are any other differences than that...

If they do it right, it could very well work wonders on the upcoming wave of Tablet PCs that will be hitting the market in the future..

FYI it runs like crap on a VM, to try it at its full experience I suggest running it off a Flash drive.

Edited by greengiant912

I meant browser based games?

For the life of me, I can't remember what this FPS was called, but it played just like Enemy Territory.