What's better ATI or nVidia?

robsamberg

Where the concern for me is on new game titles. We always seem to have to wait for for weeks or months thats the frustrating part as a gamer.

True, then again if you are a penny pincher like me (hence why I usually have ATI cards) you're waiting for the games to hit ~$15 :P

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pricepoints at launch were:

HD 5850 - $260

HD 5870 - $370

HD 5970 - $600

Hardly price gouging. The 5850 was on par with the GTX 285, which was $320-380ish, depending on brand and store. The 5870 blew everything but the 4870x2 and GTX 295 away. The 4870x2 was priced below the 5870 but the 295 is still $450+ typically, usually in the $500 range. The 5970 is far and away the best card, and is priced appropriately at just under twice the price of the 5850 (CFX 5850 ~= 5970).

I see no price gouging.

Currently

5850 $309

5870 $409

5970 $625

Price gouging by raising the price from what it was to make more because they cannot get enough ASICs from TSMC! A $49, $39 and 25 dollar increase. Everyone complains when Nvidia does it so Why is no one complainuing now when ATI does it? I'm not talking comparative prices. I'm talking about jacking the price up in an effort to supposedly "stall demand" but more like lets make all we can because we cant make enough.

Currently

5850 $309

5870 $409

5970 $625

Price gouging by raising the price from what it was to make more because they cannot get enough ASICs from TSMC! A $49, $39 and 25 dollar increase. Everyone complains when Nvidia does it so Why is no one complainuing now when ATI does it? I'm not talking comparative prices. I'm talking about jacking the price up in an effort to supposedly "stall demand" but more like lets make all we can because we cant make enough.

Nvidia did not have a shortage with the GTX200 series. :)

Currently

5850 $309

5870 $409

5970 $625

You really don't understand the concepts of supply and demand or capitalism do you? :unsure:

You really don't understand the concepts of supply and demand or capitalism do you? :unsure:

I'll give you capitalism, but not supply and demand. You keep accusing us all of ignorance, so tell us how this is supply and demand. (and no asking your econ professor ;))

However, if you'll admit that price gouging is an extreme form of supply vs. demand, and is what is going on in this case, then yes I will agree with you.

I'll give you capitalism, but not supply and demand. You keep accusing us all of ignorance, so tell us how this is supply and demand. (and no asking your econ professor ;))

However, if you'll admit that price gouging is an extreme form of supply vs. demand, and is what is going on in this case, then yes I will agree with you.

:blink:

Supply is low, demand is high, price rises.

I fail to see how that's confusing in the slightest... :unsure: As for asking my econ professor; I had economics about 9 years ago. No chance I'm going back to her for questions. :lol:

Edited by Waco

Supply is low, demand is high, price rises.

Lol we even learn this before high school. Funny how it has to be reiterated for some.

Also rr, in this case the distributors (HIS, MSI, XFX, Sapphire) are raising the prices. The MSRP's given by AMD/ATI are still the same. So venting our anger of $30 at ATI would be ridiculous, whereas when Nvidia sets a price of $850 for a product that isn't worth that much in terms of price vs. performance, we have a right to raise our voices at them.

Edited by tkrow21

Nobody remembers the $850 dollar 8800 Ultras?? Thats the reference model too, OC'd ones were even more! :lol:

Look, you can still buy one here for only $863 - save $156.85! :lol:

My 4870X2 was $560 at launch, I don't see a problem with a much faster and more advanced card being $39 more. The small price increase is totally normal, and I have seen every card of the last few generations do the same exact thing. The MSRP is the same, newegg just always jacks up the prices as they sell out. They did the same thing with the wolfdale C2D CPUs when they released.