What's better ATI or nVidia?

robsamberg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what's the best card on the market right now, and who makes it?

5970 that was made by ATI

but Nvidia will release new cards gtx 300 and i think 5970 will not be the king after that ..

5970 that was made by ATI

but Nvidia will release new cards gtx 300 and i think 5970 will not be the king after that ..

*sigh*

It's ALWAYS like this though...

I think the more relevant question would be "which video card is best for my budget". It is irrelevant who has the "fastest" card at the moment. Just worry about your price segment.

Come back with a budget and then maybe you will get a proper answer.

*sigh*

It's ALWAYS like this though...

I think the more relevant question would be "which video card is best for my budget". It is irrelevant who has the "fastest" card at the moment. Just worry about your price segment.

Come back with a budget and then maybe you will get a proper answer.

+1

Well, yes, I see your point. Hypothetically, let's just say that money is not an issue.

I want to know what's the top of the line graphics card right now. Who makes it? I'm assuming it's either ATI or nVidia.

Actually, beyond that, all things being equal - who makes a better graphics card, period? ATI or nVidia.

Thanks.

Well, yes, I see your point. Hypothetically, let's just say that money is not an issue.

I want to know what's the top of the line graphics card right now. Who makes it? I'm assuming it's either ATI or nVidia.

Actually, beyond that, all things being equal - who makes a better graphics card, period? ATI or nVidia.

Thanks.

nvidia always wins , but lately ATI was able to compete head on with nvidia , especially after 4800

now ATI has the best card ..

Thanks.

Its not like that, you have to think something more like this:

1) Personal Preference! (do you prefer one company over the other?)

2) whats your budget? (ATI has much better value for money)

3) (assuming price is no issue) What resolution do you game at?

4) Features, ATI has DirectX 11, and nVidia has Physx (but there are physx Hacks that let you Use physx on ATI hardware)

5) At the Moment the ATI HD5870 is the best Single GPU card on the market, The ATI HD5970 is the best Dual GPU Card out right now.

6) Come Fall 2010 nVidia will releace its GT300 series and it will no doubt beat the Current ATI series in performance BUT expectedly at a much higher price.

7) ATI responds with its New card beating nVidia.. and the process repeats

So If you want the best right now, Get yourself an ATI HD5870/5970 if you want to wait till 2010 check out nVidias cards, but also bear in mind that ATI will Probably Lower its prices and also releace a new card in response, so take your pick, because at this point in time (where graphics hardware is so awesome and a new card come out every month or so) you really cant go wrong with either company.

Personal preference is an important factor in your choice though. I personally am an ATI man myself because i always thought nVidia were ripping people off with sky high prices and products that actually wernt that much better then ATI. Also nVidia are anti-competitive (blocking physx on Ati hardware, and all sorts of other dirty little tricks to try and beat ATI) but thats me. You should also take into consideration that both companys are always releasing new hardware so there is NO POINT in waiting for the next big thing because you will just keep on waiting forever, you have to jump in at some point! ;) Hope this helps!

Edited by SenitaL

Its not like that, you have to think something more like this:

1) Personal Preference! (do you prefer one company over the other?)

2) whats your budget? (ATI has much better value for money)

3) (assuming price is no issue) What resolution do you game at?

4) Features, ATI has DirectX 11, and nVidia has Physx (but there are physx Hacks that let you Use physx on ATI hardware)

5) At the Moment the ATI HD5870 is the best Single GPU card on the market, The ATI HD5970 is the best Dual GPU Card out right now.

6) Come Fall 2010 nVidia will releace its GT300 series and it will no doubt beat the Current ATI series in performance BUT expectedly at a much higher price.

7) ATI responds with its New card beating nVidia.. and the process repeats

So If you want the best right now, Get yourself an ATI HD5870/5970 if you want to wait till 2010 check out nVidias cards, but also bear in mind that ATI will Probably Lower its prices and also releace a new card in response, so take your pick, because at this point in time (where graphics hardware is so awesome and a new card come out every month or so) you really cant go wrong with either company.

Personal preference is an important factor in your choice though. I personally am an ATI man myself because i always thought nVidia were ripping people off with sky high prices and products that actually wernt that much better then ATI. Also nVidia are anti-competitive (blocking physx on Ati hardware, and all sorts of other dirty little tricks to try and beat ATI) but thats me. You should also take into consideration that both companys are always releasing new hardware so there is NO POINT in waiting for the next big thing because you will just keep on waiting forever, you have to jump in at some point! ;) Hope this helps!

:withstupid::blink:

but ATI made nvidia lower their prices ..the best card from nvidia that you can be and you wont feel bad is gtx 275

it performs exceptionally and is sold for good price ..

i have a reason for nvidia's prices , their gpus have more transistors than ATI and are much bigger i think x 2 if not x3

so this costs a lot ..

ATI is lowering prices by lowering the manufacturing cost ..this is why nvidia cards are expensive ..ofcourse gtx285 is overpriced but that is because it was their top end single gpu ..the same thing with gtx295

what i was talking about was gtx260 275 280 their prices are justifying .

its a silly question to ask who's better same as asking who's better with amd and intel. with AMD products including ATI theres always the price advantage and you always have to ask yourself if a few extra fps are worth that much more money. this month yea the 5000 series are animals but nvidias going to come out and beat that, then ATI will come out again and beat that. Personally ive always been an AMD/ATI guy so you know where my opinion stands :P but thats not to say nvidia is any step down

its a silly question to ask who's better same as asking who's better with amd and intel. with AMD products including ATI theres always the price advantage and you always have to ask yourself if a few extra fps are worth that much more money. this month yea the 5000 series are animals but nvidias going to come out and beat that, then ATI will come out again and beat that. Personally ive always been an AMD/ATI guy so you know where my opinion stands :P but thats not to say nvidia is any step down

lots of good point ..i am intel/nvidia/ATI guy

but i think i will be AMD/ATI/Nvidia guy ...:D

do not forget that there are some places where AMD wins , like the onboard graphics..and budget quad and dual cpus , and triple cpus ..

:withstupid::blink:

but ATI made nvidia lower their prices ..the best card from nvidia that you can be and you wont feel bad is gtx 275

it performs exceptionally and is sold for good price ..

i have a reason for nvidia's prices , their gpus have more transistors than ATI and are much bigger i think x 2 if not x3

so this costs a lot ..

ATI is lowering prices by lowering the manufacturing cost ..this is why nvidia cards are expensive ..ofcourse gtx285 is overpriced but that is because it was their top end single gpu ..the same thing with gtx295

what i was talking about was gtx260 275 280 their prices are justifying .

That is huge fanboy talk. Yes I know there is an ATI logo in my avatar, but i'm still unbiased towards which card I buy.

That out of the way, can you please provide the relevent sources to back up what you are saying? Yes some nvidia cards have more transistors, and yes that makes them more expensive. What it does not do is make them "higher quality" like you are implying. If an ATI card can perform as well/slightly slower than an equivalent nvidia card with less transistors and a significantly lower price would you not call that efficiency rather then "lesser quality".

The myth that nvidia make "better quality, longer lasting" products is typical from the uninformed or fanboys. Does anyone remember the failing nvidia graphics chips not too long ago?

It also won't be long until someone starts talking up how bad drivers from company X are compared to company Y. In reality, lots of people have problems with drivers from both camps, and even more people have no issues from either company at all. View them as equal.

As above, the question is not "who makes the best video card at the moment" because neither do. There is the "fastest" video card, but that is completely irrelivant for cards not in the same league

Sorry to ramble on, but it crap me tears the amount of people making their decision to buy a certain card "because my mate who is an IT expert said company X is better".

That is huge fanboy talk. Yes I know there is an ATI logo in my avatar, but i'm still unbiased towards which card I buy.

That out of the way, can you please provide the relevent sources to back up what you are saying? Yes some nvidia cards have more transistors, and yes that makes them more expensive. What it does not do is make them "higher quality" like you are implying. If an ATI card can perform as well/slightly slower than an equivalent nvidia card with less transistors and a significantly lower price would you not call that efficiency rather then "lesser quality".

The myth that nvidia make "better quality, longer lasting" products is typical from the uninformed or fanboys. Does anyone remember the failing nvidia graphics chips not too long ago?

It also won't be long until someone starts talking up how bad drivers from company X are compared to company Y. In reality, lots of people have problems with drivers from both camps, and even more people have no issues from either company at all. View them as equal.

As above, the question is not "who makes the best video card at the moment" because neither do. There is the "fastest" video card, but that is completely irrelivant for cards not in the same league

Sorry to ramble on, but it crap me tears the amount of people making their decision to buy a certain card "because my mate who is an IT expert said company X is better".

yes i admit that i like nvidia just because their cards supply what i need , i owned lots of ATI cards ..the only two cards i had /have from nvidia were 8800gt and gtx275 , i had 2900xt , 4850,4650,

and i did not say lesser quality ...

what i wanted to say is nvidia makes cards with more transistors than ATI

therefor their cards cost more to be produced , and about the drivers , 190.72 made a lot of troubles to some of us ( me included )

same thing to be said about ATI drivers ,

when some one asks who is better N or A

i answer name me a card from each company and i will tell ya who is better

each company has it's own architecture , and i never said that company x is better than company y ,

i study industrial relations , and some of my words are based on that

yes ATI makes cards with less transistors to cut down expenses ( cost )

but in order to catch up with nvidia and not to lose performance they do other things

such as the astonishing GDDR5 and Eye Finity

and they lead nvidia in manufacturing process they have the first 40nm card and first DX11 card ..and right now they have the performance crown.