Data Recovery?

Renigade

Came home from work and the PC didnt recognize the drive it did not see any of it. My RMA is being shipped from Seagate but before I send the old one back is there anything I can do to retrieve over 80 gigs of football games? I was a retard and never backed them up to my NAS.. PC does not recognize the drive from windows or the bios screen.

The guy at Seagate said something about board swaps or or plate swaps..??? This sucks 10 Games recorded in highdef just gone.....

I pray someone will have a pearl of wisdom that will save my sanity not to mention the 3hrs per game of editing i did.....

Did you try the board swap?

If you can get hold of another HDD thats the same as the faulty one you could try swapping the printed circuit board. If it's an electronic fault and not mechanical it may do the trick?

Cheers

Paul

How much are those games worth to you? There are data recovery services that might be able to recover the drive contents if you're willing to pay for it and they're not cheap.

You could try to locate an identical drive with the same firmware version and try to swap out the controller to see if that would allow you to recover the files.

EDIT: I see Paul beat me to it...

Why not wait till the RMA drive has hit your doorstep to try the controller board swap? Hell, call the company and be honest about it.

Does the drive 'rattle' at all when shaken? Chances are it's not going to be worth the effort if the arm wasn't in locked position when the drive failed. :(

Renigade,

Not to over simplify your problem, but did you try a different sata/ide cable and did you try a different controller on the m/b? If that fails, once your new HDD arrives, go ahead and reinstall the OS on the new drive and before you start tearing the old drive apart to harvest the circuit board you can try plugging it in to another one of your sata/ide ports and see if you can get anything off of it.

As also mentioned previously, if you have an esata enclosure you can try usb/esata connections to see if the drive is detected. If all that fails I guess you'll have to try the freezer trick or the board swap.

Good luck.

Yes i tried different cables. Got the drive yesterday. The drive they Sent me is Firmware SD1A and the old Drive is SD15. I will install OS on the new drive then add bad drive to see if that works . Then I will try the freezer trick. There are no issues with condensation? How long should it go in for? Freezer? Fridge?

I do not have a SATA external enclosure to try USB.

Left it in freezer for 8 hours then tried it.. no luck... sounded like it wanted to read but still did not recognize it.

The replacement drive however works fine..

Guess the last thing I need to try is get an External USB enclosure?