Sign in to follow this  
Desktop-pro

Next gen consoles

I see Nintendo releasing a new console in the next few years over the other two (sony ms). As the novelty factor of the Wii has now wore off and they kinda have to enter the HD - Next gen market place to keep up with the third party developers...

I see Nintendo releasing a new console in the next few years over the other two (sony ms). As the novelty factor of the Wii has now wore off and they kinda have to enter the HD - Next gen market place to keep up with the third party developers...

Maybe we will see some new hardware at the next E3?

I think Fall 2012 would be a likely time for a new gen to come out. Microsoft is trying to extend the xbox 360 with natal for I'd guess 2 or 3 years, and Sony is probably going to try to recoup the costs of the PS3 before releasing a new console.

However, I think that I will probably just spend money on PC upgrades when that time comes around because I have barely played my xbox 360 since I built my PC. Maybe if the AAA titles stop being mostly shooters, I'd consider it.

Edited by nickosha

I wonder what the specs will be??

First Xbox Specs(from wiki)

CPU: 32-bit 733 MHz, Pentium III-based, custom Intel Coppermine-based processor in a Micro-PGA2 package (though soldered to the mainboard using BGA). 180 nm process.

SSE floating point SIMD. Four single-precision floating point numbers per clock cycle.

MMX integer SIMD

133 MHz 64-bit GTL+ front-side bus to GPU

32 KB L1 cache. 128 KB on-die L2 "Advanced Transfer Cache"

Shared memory subsystem

64 MB DDR SDRAM at 200 MHz; in dual-channel 128-bit configuration giving 6400 MB/s

Supplied by Hynix or Samsung depending on manufacture date and location

GPU and system chipset: 233 MHz "NV2A" ASIC. Co-developed by Microsoft and Nvidia.

Similar to the GeForce 3 and GeForce 4 PC GPUs

Geometry engine: 115 million vertices/second, 125 million particles/second (peak)

4 pixel pipelines with 2 texture units each

932 megapixels/second (233 MHz x 4 pipelines), 1,864 megatexels/second (932 MP

Edited by Desktop-pro