• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#13 Nytekrawlerr

Nytekrawlerr

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

Ok,

For the storage requirements it would be the 3 servers that we have, I am guessing roughly 500GB of data, as for the workstations I would probably guess some where in the neighborhood of 600GBs all together from files kept on workstations rather than on the servers, this is all guestimations but I could easily imaging from our graphic's design artists and the website developer's storage need, that I would need at minium of 2TB in the storage unit.

I definately need the security encyption capabilities. And I like the review on the TS-509; however comparing the specs of the SS-839 Pro which is the same price at neweggs, I think this will be the direction I go.

So here is what I have:

QNAP SS-839 Pro Diskless System Turbo NAS with Advanced Security & iSCSI for Business Users - 899.00
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 84.99 (2)

Any opinions or comments on this?

Thanks.

#14 Zertz

Zertz

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

QNAP SS-839 Pro Diskless System Turbo NAS with Advanced Security & iSCSI for Business Users - 899.00
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 84.99 (2)

If you want any sort of redundancy, which I would recommend, you will need 1-2 more drives.

Either RAID 1, which will take you 2 more drives since it cuts capacity by half or RAID 5 which will only require you 1 more.

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

#15 Nytekrawlerr

Nytekrawlerr

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:30 PM

Ok, suggestion taken. Thanks.

#16 shibby_geek_guy_69

shibby_geek_guy_69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:32 PM

I've just convinced the boss to shell out some cash into a new server from dell.
If you like, PM me and I'll send you my documentation justifying why this decision was necessary, etc.
You'll have to excuse the fact that I'm a hick from australia though...
Server is a Dual Quad Core Xeon 2.5GHz with 10 250GB hdds in 2 RAID5 Partitions, and 2 JBOD Partitions, giving me HEAPS of room to play with...
It should also be slightly quicker than the current 80PIN SCSI RAID I'm relying on for my file server...
Oh, of a night time...This server will be folding :D
Current rig: AMD Sempron 2500+ 2GB Generic Ram geForce 6200 Video NF2 Chipset and 2x Benq 22" 1080p Monitors on Ubuntu 9.0.4
Also Packin': 6TB of storage and Such on Fileserver.
http://overclockersc...eek_guy_69&.jpg

#17 Nemo

Nemo

Will Fold 4 Food

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7228 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

Yes, those hard drives are not compatible :)

The SS-839 takes 2.5" drives with a maximum capacity of 500GB - http://www.qnap.com/...ility_HDD_Q.asp

And I just noticed Zertz has jumped in and beat me to my next comment and that is you're going to need probably 5 drives maybe 6 since you're limited to 500GB. Five drives in RAID 5 gives you a nominal 2TB of space and you could use the 6th drive as a hot spare and for future expansion if necessary.

If it were me, and you want an 8-bay unit, look at the TS-809 instead.

BTW - why are you convinced you need encrypted storage?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz / ASUS P5Q Deluxe / Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB PC2-9600 DDR2-1200MHz / 2x Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB RAID 1 / Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB
Corsair TX750W / Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 / SilverStone TJ05 / Scythe Zipang 140mm CPU Cooler / ASUS VH202T-P 20" widescreen monitor (x2) / XP Pro SP 3
"however, i cannot claim to be such a fish as i am not a fish at all..." - hardnrg,Jul 4 2005, 02:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Follow OCC on Posted Image
Subscribe to the OCC Newsletter

Lucky Mudder Race 2013

#18 Zertz

Zertz

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:43 PM

Yes, those hard drives are not compatible :)

The SS-839 takes 2.5" drives with a maximum capacity of 500GB - http://www.qnap.com/...ility_HDD_Q.asp

Oppss.. good catch ;)

Isn't drive encryption extremely processor intensive?

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

#19 Nytekrawlerr

Nytekrawlerr

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

As for the point regarding the drivers and the capabilities, I did not notice it (newegg does not include that info on their webpage, I did not bother to go directly to QNAP)

As for the encrption, the owner of the company wants us to be sure that our data is optimally (is that a real word?) secured, we have very important data that we do not want to be obtained. But, again, this is why I am asking yall, if i were to look at the TS-509 what level of security is this capable of? I mean, lets hypothetically say that someone breaks into our office, takes the NAS unit, how easily can they breach the security of the unit to obtain the information with the security that it has available.

Anyways, I will keep reaseching those NAS, I basically want something that has about 5 bays with the capability of holding large capacity hdds.

For example can the TS-509 since it has 5 bays hold x5 2TB HDDs?

Thank.

#20 Zertz

Zertz

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:17 PM

Yes.

#21 CowKing

CowKing

Phil ain't got nothin' on me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:26 PM

might i suggest free nas if it's not too out of line
and True Crypt if you're going the desktop server route which it looks like your not

Edited by CowKing, 17 November 2009 - 09:29 PM.

CPU: (Intel)[email protected]3.36GHz|1.4v
Power Supply: (Antec)BP550|550w
GFX Card: (PNY)GTX 460|800-1600-4000 biggest GTX 460 dud OCer
Motherboard: (Gigabyte)P35-DS3R |P35|
Memory: (Mushkin) Redline 2x2GB DDR2 1000|1050MHz 5-5-5-12|
Ayn Rand is the author for people who want to act like complete douche-bags, but don't have the balls to just admit that they are douche-bags.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

OCC Cool Club Member

#22 Nemo

Nemo

Will Fold 4 Food

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7228 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:55 PM

As for the point regarding the drivers and the capabilities, I did not notice it (newegg does not include that info on their webpage, I did not bother to go directly to QNAP)

As for the encrption, the owner of the company wants us to be sure that our data is optimally (is that a real word?) secured, we have very important data that we do not want to be obtained. But, again, this is why I am asking yall, if i were to look at the TS-509 what level of security is this capable of? I mean, lets hypothetically say that someone breaks into our office, takes the NAS unit, how easily can they breach the security of the unit to obtain the information with the security that it has available.

Anyways, I will keep reaseching those NAS, I basically want something that has about 5 bays with the capability of holding large capacity hdds.

Thank.

If it uses AES-256 bit then you're safe as long as 1) you use a strong key and 2) you don't leave the key lying around where someone else can get it. This also begs the question of whether the 12 computers, presumably on users' desks, are encrypted as well.

As Zertz said, you can use 2TB drives, it might require a firmware upgrade if it's been in stock for a while.

might i suggest free nas if it's not too out of line
and True Crypt if you're going the desktop server route which it looks like your not

Both good choices if you're looking to roll your own, which I would not recommend in this case.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz / ASUS P5Q Deluxe / Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB PC2-9600 DDR2-1200MHz / 2x Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB RAID 1 / Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB
Corsair TX750W / Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 / SilverStone TJ05 / Scythe Zipang 140mm CPU Cooler / ASUS VH202T-P 20" widescreen monitor (x2) / XP Pro SP 3
"however, i cannot claim to be such a fish as i am not a fish at all..." - hardnrg,Jul 4 2005, 02:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Follow OCC on Posted Image
Subscribe to the OCC Newsletter

Lucky Mudder Race 2013

#23 Nytekrawlerr

Nytekrawlerr

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:24 AM

As for the encryption key, it would be kept with the owner and myself presumably.

As for the drives, because of cost I am looking at possibly doing the

TS-509
with 4 of those samsung 1TB drives, I think for their price and per reviews on newegg that they will meet my needs, this will allow me to go into a RAID 5 config as Zertz mentioned and allow me to have a free bay for future expansion.

I am enjoying all of the feedback and will make it worth while once, I have completed the server room project, by editting all this information in a step by step guide for newbies like me to follow. Because, i believe that what i learn from my experiences can help others especially when looking for more solidfied and better interpted information versus some of the books I have looked through at the library and at several book stores.

Thank you, once again.

#24 Zertz

Zertz

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:29 PM

Have you started working on the networking portion of the project?