Sign in to follow this  
Nytekrawlerr

Redoing cluttered server room

Short answer - No.

The server room is basically running; however, there are issues with the consistancy of the servers, it seems that my predecessor did not do his homework and did not invest the time to do it right the first time around. The owner of the company now also asked me to retire the current portal server where i belive our font end applications reside as well as the data server, I am abit confused by what he wants, as orignally he just wanted to setup a backup storage device on the network server and one so that everyone can store their data weekly.

I have to sit down with him and go through what he wants exsactly, I feel like I am going to need him to basically write out what it is that he wants as a goal to this project.

Unfortunately, it is not as easy as telling him we want to hire an IT company, because he does not want an outside company determining what we can and cannot do with the setup, I believe that he feels that my knowledge with desktop computers and laptops is sufficent enough in the fact that now IT solutions are to be done and accomplished by me.

This is where I stand at the moment.

I will be getting a list of everything we have, and what the functionalities are, probably have something on friday in regards to the information.

Can someone point me to a good online guide to setting up a server room. I just need to know more about this to better continue this project.

It is going to be fun and complicated, but I feel confident in my capabilities and ambitious nature to take on challenges and succeed.

Let me put this out there, if putting together a "new" server room, starting from scratch, knowing that I have a web department, graphics art department, accounting/inventory department, a sales department, and a production/design department, plus 2 remote computers one in a mail room, and one at our warehouse. needing to be able to save, share, communicate, and protect data from all of those aspects, how would you construct the server room with the basic requirements:

Server Rack

Servers

Router

Firewall

data storage

I just need an idea i guess.

Thank.

Sounds like you guys need storage more than actual servers. I guess we'll see when we have more details to work with :)

Hello all,

This is aside from a previous post in the storage/hard drive sub forum, basically I have to deal with a server room, which looks like a mess there is no organization and I feel that there could be things done to help this issue.

I want to also backup my network server and create a secondary backup for 12 or so computers where they can be backed up weekly.

Can anyone suggest me to somewhere with a revelant information or even a guide?

There is much that I do not know about servers. I am not a computer dummy to say the least, as I have built computers and have repaired several laptops for family and friends; however, servers and the such are simply a new field for me, and everywhere I look on the net has no real answers or information. That is why I hope someone here can either give me some advise/suggestions or perhaps point me in the right direction.

Additionally, I have been doing some reading and have wanted to know, what are the perks to a completely wireless setup to cut from using so much wiring, is that feasible or still way to forward into the future (aka expensive?). I also do not have a huge buget to work with.

Thank you in advance.

~Nyte

As someone who builds/maintains servers for a living, I will give my advice.

If the user's are on desktops (not laptops) do not try and go wireless. You will create a much more difficult, and potentially slower situation. Wired desktops will be the easiest way to maintain network connectivity.

As far as the server:

If it is running a true Server OS (Server 2003, Server 2008, or a Small Business Server Version), the best option is a server backup solution. I use Backup Exec System Recovery. It is very easy to use. We usually backup to a Storage Volume that will be multiple TB drives setup in a RAID 1. RAID 1 is used for redundancy, so if one HDD fails you do not lose data.

As far as backing up workstations, the easiest and simpliest thing to do is create a User Home Folder. This is a network share you will setup on the server and map to the user in Active Directory. Once this is done, it creates a network share that the user can save their work to on the server, ensuring that it is backed up nightly on the server. Backing up entire workstations is not a great option, because the amount of data being backed up to a NAS or Server would be more than most server's could handle. This is unless of course you have a server that is strictly dedicated for backups.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I agree.

Also, as opposed to a regular computer, when you disconnect a server from the network (cable wise) and replug it (in order to move around cables and the server itself) will this create any issues (as long as everything is plugged in from where it was orignally plugged)?

Basically, if i decided to move the servers around hypothetically speaking, could there be issues or will there be issues when plugged back in and turned on?

Also, I see that we have our servers attached to a backup power supplies, but I am not sure if we have a UPS unit, is this recommended as an added addition to the servers?

as for the questions posted by itsernst

Yes, I will not be doing anything with wireless, there are a few laptops that "are" being used as workstations, 4 all together, but other than that everything else is wired.

we use Windows 2003 Server OS. I will need to go the route of a dedicated data backup storage unit so far I have interest in the QNAP TS-509 5Bay NAS with 4 1TB hdds.

This as Zertz mentioned will allow me to utilize the Raid 5 configuration, giving me the capabilities of it doing nightly backups.

thx

Edited by Nytekrawlerr

If they have static IP's (they should...), it won't cause issues.

Do you mean backup batteries or redundant power supplies? Anyways, a UPS is probably a smart idea!

Also, we do have static ip address.

Are your servers configured with static IP's, or is your internet connection provided with a static IP?

If the latter, than you may have misinterpreted the question, and this could wreak havoc on you when moving things...

OK here is a list of details:

Router is a 3COM model 5012

Leviton CAT 5E

IBDN Patch Panel CAT 5

UPS Unit by DCM

and a power unit from Ativa

we have three servers

Portal Server Dell PE 800

Data Center Dell PE1400SC

Exchange Server Dell PE 1900 which currently has a Seagate FreeAgent external hdd as a backup.

Additionally there is an Iomega 2TB backup unit in the owners office, which I believe is attached as well to the exchange server.

What he wants and likes is how the software on the seagate is user friendly.

And as for the Data center he wants to retire it because he says it has one harddrive that everyone is using for file sharing and that he wants to take an imprint of that information and put it on a backup hdd. And, because it is old.

But here is my question, should it have been the datacenter to be used as the backup server with multiple hdd(s) setup in a raid config?

I do not know if the servers have stactic IP address, but if i were to look at their ip address, is there anyway to know if it is static or not? or does that have to be manually looked on the computer?

With the following setup and the information provide, where should I even begin.

I mean I would think that I should put the points toward a NAS unit first and then move from that point as a starting point, any thoughts?

thanks

J

Also, i believe that we will be in major trouble if the sprinklers go off because a fire, since there is a sprinker in the server room...I have been reading several articles that suggest to make it a priority to get a different fire surpression system in the server room, any thoughts?

I don't know if this has been covered yet or not but if you have any employees doing work remotely it might be wise to add a Terminal Services server.

Also what roles does each server perform? (eg. Exchange server handles Mail, AD, and DNS).

What he wants and likes is how the software on the seagate is user friendly.

If set up correctly, you wont need to interact with the servers to do your backups.

You could quite easily set it to email you every day saying the backup is successful, email to say it isnt successful, etc.

If you don't receive the email you question as to why....

And as for the Data center he wants to retire it because he says it has one harddrive that everyone is using for file sharing and that he wants to take an imprint of that information and put it on a backup hdd. And, because it is old.

Depending on your annual allocation financially to IT, you should aim to replace your HDD's every 36 Months ideally.

This is a rule of thumb I stick to, and although it costs a little, I can be more confident that i wont have to do any DR...

But here is my question, should it have been the datacenter to be used as the backup server with multiple hdd(s) setup in a raid config?

I do not know if the servers have stactic IP address, but if i were to look at their ip address, is there anyway to know if it is static or not? or does that have to be manually looked on the computer?

on each console, do

ipconfig /all

hahahah do...thats the linux boy in me :)

Somewhere in the crap it spits out will be the line "DHCP Enabled ........... No"

If its a no, you most likely have static IP's, If yes, they are dynamic.

Also, i believe that we will be in major trouble if the sprinklers go off because a fire, since there is a sprinker in the server room...I have been reading several articles that suggest to make it a priority to get a different fire surpression system in the server room, any thoughts?

Look into dry chemical.

Or remove the sprinkler and not replace it. And keep any easily combustible material out of there.

Ok,

I still have some more researching to do in regards to ip addresses and the sort and knowing what these machines are doing.

and another question... I have a computer that is not in our office, it is in our storage room which is in the same building and on the same floor. We do not have it connected to the server and it does not have a wireless pci card to allow it to try and connect to our network; however, I am not sure if it is going to be sucesseful to setup a wireless relay from the storage room to our office. (we use the storage room for some inventory and for shipping purposes)

I am thinking that with the elevators and all of the walls that the signal would have to go through, that I do not think we will be able to achieve this. Although a mobile drive could be one solution, i fear that the cost out weight the solution. I even thought that perhaps it might just have to be wired and hiring a company to run the wires from our router to the computer in the storage room. again any thoughts?