Sign in to follow this  
Nytekrawlerr

Redoing cluttered server room

Ok,

For the storage requirements it would be the 3 servers that we have, I am guessing roughly 500GB of data, as for the workstations I would probably guess some where in the neighborhood of 600GBs all together from files kept on workstations rather than on the servers, this is all guestimations but I could easily imaging from our graphic's design artists and the website developer's storage need, that I would need at minium of 2TB in the storage unit.

I definately need the security encyption capabilities. And I like the review on the TS-509; however comparing the specs of the SS-839 Pro which is the same price at neweggs, I think this will be the direction I go.

So here is what I have:

QNAP SS-839 Pro Diskless System Turbo NAS with Advanced Security & iSCSI for Business Users - 899.00

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 84.99 (2)

Any opinions or comments on this?

Thanks.

QNAP SS-839 Pro Diskless System Turbo NAS with Advanced Security & iSCSI for Business Users - 899.00

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 84.99 (2)

If you want any sort of redundancy, which I would recommend, you will need 1-2 more drives.

Either RAID 1, which will take you 2 more drives since it cuts capacity by half or RAID 5 which will only require you 1 more.

I've just convinced the boss to shell out some cash into a new server from dell.

If you like, PM me and I'll send you my documentation justifying why this decision was necessary, etc.

You'll have to excuse the fact that I'm a hick from australia though...

Server is a Dual Quad Core Xeon 2.5GHz with 10 250GB hdds in 2 RAID5 Partitions, and 2 JBOD Partitions, giving me HEAPS of room to play with...

It should also be slightly quicker than the current 80PIN SCSI RAID I'm relying on for my file server...

Oh, of a night time...This server will be folding :D

Yes, those hard drives are not compatible :)

The SS-839 takes 2.5" drives with a maximum capacity of 500GB - http://www.qnap.com/pro_compatibility_HDD_Q.asp

And I just noticed Zertz has jumped in and beat me to my next comment and that is you're going to need probably 5 drives maybe 6 since you're limited to 500GB. Five drives in RAID 5 gives you a nominal 2TB of space and you could use the 6th drive as a hot spare and for future expansion if necessary.

If it were me, and you want an 8-bay unit, look at the TS-809 instead.

BTW - why are you convinced you need encrypted storage?

As for the point regarding the drivers and the capabilities, I did not notice it (newegg does not include that info on their webpage, I did not bother to go directly to QNAP)

As for the encrption, the owner of the company wants us to be sure that our data is optimally (is that a real word?) secured, we have very important data that we do not want to be obtained. But, again, this is why I am asking yall, if i were to look at the TS-509 what level of security is this capable of? I mean, lets hypothetically say that someone breaks into our office, takes the NAS unit, how easily can they breach the security of the unit to obtain the information with the security that it has available.

Anyways, I will keep reaseching those NAS, I basically want something that has about 5 bays with the capability of holding large capacity hdds.

For example can the TS-509 since it has 5 bays hold x5 2TB HDDs?

Thank.

As for the point regarding the drivers and the capabilities, I did not notice it (newegg does not include that info on their webpage, I did not bother to go directly to QNAP)

As for the encrption, the owner of the company wants us to be sure that our data is optimally (is that a real word?) secured, we have very important data that we do not want to be obtained. But, again, this is why I am asking yall, if i were to look at the TS-509 what level of security is this capable of? I mean, lets hypothetically say that someone breaks into our office, takes the NAS unit, how easily can they breach the security of the unit to obtain the information with the security that it has available.

Anyways, I will keep reaseching those NAS, I basically want something that has about 5 bays with the capability of holding large capacity hdds.

For example can the TS-509 since it has 5 bays hold x5 2TB HDDs?

Thank.

If it uses AES-256 bit then you're safe as long as 1) you use a strong key and 2) you don't leave the key lying around where someone else can get it. This also begs the question of whether the 12 computers, presumably on users' desks, are encrypted as well.

As Zertz said, you can use 2TB drives, it might require a firmware upgrade if it's been in stock for a while.

might i suggest free nas if it's not too out of line

and True Crypt if you're going the desktop server route which it looks like your not

Both good choices if you're looking to roll your own, which I would not recommend in this case.

As for the encryption key, it would be kept with the owner and myself presumably.

As for the drives, because of cost I am looking at possibly doing the

TS-509

with 4 of those samsung 1TB drives, I think for their price and per reviews on newegg that they will meet my needs, this will allow me to go into a RAID 5 config as Zertz mentioned and allow me to have a free bay for future expansion.

I am enjoying all of the feedback and will make it worth while once, I have completed the server room project, by editting all this information in a step by step guide for newbies like me to follow. Because, i believe that what i learn from my experiences can help others especially when looking for more solidfied and better interpted information versus some of the books I have looked through at the library and at several book stores.

Thank you, once again.