Sign in to follow this  
gurst285

not sure how to overclock my processor

I want to overclock my AMD Phenom II x4 940 but im not sure how to... any suggestions?

welcome to occ;

what cpu cooler is being used?

you might consider posting the complete specs of this pc as it may get more people to offer input...

overclocking that cpu isn't very difficult, but a decent cpu cooler is quite essential.

you may wanna do some reading up on overclocking to get a general idea before pursuing the endeavor, but it's easy to learn with that chip so if it's boggling your mind don't worry about it...

don't mind helping you work with it.

make sure you have a good cpu cooler first though :)

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

im running the stock cooler that came with it but here is my entire computer specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 940, ~2.8GHz

Memory:4094MB RAM

Hard Drive:2 TB Total

Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+

Monitor:Acer 19"

Sound Card:Realtek HDMI Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate

Computer Case: Antec 900

Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group TPower N750 5.x

not sure if most of that matters but that is everything but yea i only have the stock fan on it

stock fan is a BIG no no, u can still OC but with out the proper cooling your risking your machine.

Setup

1.1- Get new cooler.

Suggestions:

Prolimatech Megahalems (no fans included)

Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 4 (120mm fan included with new technology for quieter and faster fans)

Scythe Ninja 2 (120mm fan included)

Zalman 9700 with integrated fan (LED's on certain models, comes with big useless control module thingy)

Coolermaster V8 (overkill, expensive, not much better than the others)

1.2- Get thermal paste...something like Arctic Silver 5. I find it to be quite good.

Overclocking

2.1 - Read guides for overclocking the Black editions.

Suggestions:

Dolk's Guide on overclocking Phenom II's : http://www.techreaction.net/forums/showthread.php?t=367

2.2 - I guess I won't really tell you anything new that won't be said in the guide but it might be helpful for the start.

2.2.1- Look on AMD's website for your CPU's specs and what max temperatures are. So that you know when it's getting too hot to move forward (it will most probably be somewhere around 60C.)

2.2.2- Black Editions overclock using multiplier mostly. FSB can also be used but it's gonna overclock your ram and you NB as well as the CPU so a little

more to consider when using it.

2.2.3- When you start the overclock, simply increase the multiplier in your BIOS by .5 or 1 and test after each increase. (look in testing software) After you start getting bsod, crashes or other abnormalities it's time to increase the voltage a little. Then try again, test, watch temps, repeat. You should probably back off when you reach around 1.5 voltage.

2.2.4- After only increasing the voltage no longer works, if you want to try and push the CPU further, try increasing the CPU-NB Frequency. (stock multi is at x10 and 1.1V) Don't push it too much as well. No more than x13. If overclock doesn't work on x13 or x12 then you've probably reached the maximum for your CPU. If you still want to overclock there might be a way but it's pretty advanced stuff which you will learn through time.

2.2.5- After you are satisfied with your overclock you will need to test for 24 hourse for stability. If you do not achieve it, you will need to tinker with the bios a bit more. For example, ram could affect stability, tighten the timings or loosen them up. Either could increase stability, but it is up to you to decide if it's worth it. If not then try increasing a bit the CPU voltage and test again. If it still doesn't work. Then you will need to back of by .5 on the CPU multi, but leave the voltage, then it will probably be stable.

Testing

3.1 - Download some software that will help you monitor the temperatures and status of your PC as well as stress it to test for stability.

Suggestions:

CPU-Z (most known and usefull program for system specs)

Everest (excellent for monitoring everything!)

Core Temp (specifically for temperature monitoring)

Hardware Monitor (yet another useful program for monitoring voltages, fan speeds etc.)

3.2 - Benchmarking and Stress Testing Software:

Suggestions:

OCCT (very good program for testing for stability. 15 minutes should be enough for testing stability WHILE overclocking. 12 hours for final overclock - minimum.)

Prime95 (also a good program for testing. You will need to read so that you can understand how it works and be able to set it to priority 10 for maximum stress)

LinX (Run 30 times with memory usage set to "ALL" and you should have an idea if the overclock is stable.)

Intel Burn Test (Don't worry, it works for AMD too, but you need the latest version. It should quickly tell you if your overclock is stable an hour is enough I've heard.)

Warnings and additional tips:

1: Always watch the temp and voltage as it could damage the CPU greatly.

2: Know your limits. When the CPU reaches the wall, then accept it. (I learned that the hard way)

3:Learn your bios and settings, set them all or as much as possible to manual so you know that whatever you have set it, then that's what it is. No secrets.

4:Update bios! It can help when overclocking. (be careful though as a bios update could go very wrong and have serious consequences if don't wrong)

5:Some small tricks for calculating:

CPU SPEED: CPU Multiplier x FSB = CPU SPEED (lets take my 550 for example.: x15.5x200=3.100Ghz)

NB SPEED: Almost the same as above: NB multi x FSB = NB Freq. (it's all tied to the FSB but it's not necessary to use it when overclocking a Black Edition. Makes you life easier.)

6:If your CPU is stable but you still want, you could tighten ram timings for a few more drops of speed. Guide on timings: http://www.overclock.net/faqs/26706-info-r...gs-dummies.html

Well thats it. I hope I actually helped and it didn't looklike I didn't underestimate you with this little guide I made. Also welcome to OCC. I hope your overclock goes exactly as you want it to. ;)

Edited by ballist1x

yes indeed, you should get a good cpu cooler before overclocking.

then if you simply follow the steps above by ballist1x you should be set up easily.

just to clear some things up from the above post...

--go in bios and disable cool and quiet and the spread spectrum feature if it's on this particular motherboard as they can potentially interfere with an overclock and then bump the multiplier up by 1 notch and then reboot into windows and do a stability/torture test with prime 95 for about ten minutes with occt running in the background to monitor temperatures...

if all is fine (no blue screens, etc.) go back into the bios and bump the multiplier up another notch and then reboot back into windows and do another torture test for about ten minutes (make sure to monitor temps, anything under 70C should be fine but try and keep as low as possible preferably not above 60C).

--at this point you're probably going to get a blue screen or freeze, etc. because more voltage is probably going to be necessary (maybe not though, give it a try first to see because adding voltage should only be done if necessary).

if it does blue screen, etc. simply shut off the pc manually and clear the cmos (there should be a button on the motherboard to reset the cmos, check the motherboard manual for more info)...

this will take the bios back to stock settings.

don't forget to set the multiplier back to the two notch increase and then add a little bit of voltage, .05 or something (very small increments, almost as little as possible because too much voltage can damage the cpu)...

then reboot and do another 10 minute torture test.

--repeat this process until you can reach stability for a ten minute torture test...

once getting enough voltage (just be careful not too much) and if the temps are below 70C you should eventually find a successful overclock (just keep in mind that this particular cpu may overclock like a beast but it may not overclock at all... it's basically trial and error with each chip, even though they may be the same brand and make).

by the way...

wouldn't touch updating the bios unless you know exactly what you're doing as it can really mess up a computer :)

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

I'm also new to OC'ing and would like to improve performance on a system I just finished building. I'm using a 2.66 GHz Intel Q6700, and I understand the multiplier is locked. I guess this leaves the FSB, which is running at 1066.7. (BIOS in auto) The options shown are 5:4, 3:2, and sync mode. Also, I'm using 8Gb Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 two channel. At the moment, everything in Bios is AUTO, so I need some clues on the best way to proceed.

Hey! No thread hijacking! You already have your own thread.

Hey Gurst, you're bound to find something useful when you google 'phenom 2 940 overclock' or something of the like.