Whoooops! Man dunks his Bugatti Veyron

tjmagneto

WOW!

Anyone else find it far too much of a coincidence that someone happened to be filming a Bugatti Veyron as it was crashing into water and that it just happened to be owned buy the owner of (or at least an employee) of an exotic car salvage company?

Seriously, there are cheaper ways to make the headlines!

@the auto discussion, simple answer to all your rhetorical questions, WHY NOT? It's pretty good fun when you're at the lights next to some gazillion horsepower Civic Type-R that's playing with the Throttle, wanting a race, and then just sticking it to them!

Ivy, seriously, you have no idea what that sort of power feels like. Think of a Jumbo Jet taking off, in your car! If you don't want yours, I'd be happy to take it off your hands!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you now, that the majority of Aston Martin/Porsche/Bentley/etc etc won't be used on a track. Racing teams, sure. Average (but wealthy) owner? Never in a million years wants to risk trashing their pride and joy. A few exceptions maybe, but yeah - not many.

I can't speak for the other brands but when I lived on the east coast the Poughkeepsie Porsche club held time trials every year at Limerock. It was fun. There were similar events at Watkins Glen.

BMW and Mercedes? Are you on crack or something, they aren't gas guzzlers. They probably get better mileage than half the cars in America. And they don't break easily. In America the BMW's and Mercedes are obviously worse, but in Germany(And Europe) they are much more efficient(Diesel).

Its not all about mileage, its also about quality.

Not more efficient or powerful than electric sorry. Quality and efficiency can go hand in hand. I'm not calling Mercedes or BMW bad cars, just a poor investment.

Same reason most of those rich people have multi room mansions, just wasting electricity and resources. I guess cause they can... :lol:

I guess I could shoot someone with a gun I stole from running over a cop....because I can

It needs that much cooling because it's a >1000 BHP machine...

You may as well say a water-cooled PC is inefficient as hell

Performance Auto Sales salvage company... pfffft

Yes, because generally if you're water cooling your machine you're doing extensive OC'n (and thus becoming more inefficient). Most likely someone will respond to this and say "well I water cool for the quietness" in which case I pre-respond and say: RUN A PASSIVE COOLER :P

Ivy, seriously, you have no idea what that sort of power feels like. Think of a Jumbo Jet taking off, in your car! If you don't want yours, I'd be happy to take it off your hands!

Yeah, and times that by ten for electric torque, a gas motor will never touch that sensation. You'll shift into second and be but a speck in my mirror :D

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Not more efficient or powerful than electric sorry. Quality and efficiency can go hand in hand. I'm not calling Mercedes or BMW bad cars, just a poor investment.
Alright, lets have a drive from San Francisco to New York... I shall drive my BMW 118d and you can have that Tesla piece of kit. How many times will you have to stop to recharge??? It just FAILS at range! The quality of the Tesla for example is rubbish though, just watch the Top Gear test...

I guess I could shoot someone with a gun I stole from running over a cop....because I can
:rolleyes: Now did we have to COMPLETELY miss the point?

Yes, because generally if you're water cooling your machine you're doing extensive OC'n (and thus becoming more inefficient). Most likely someone will respond to this and say "well I water cool for the quietness" in which case I pre-respond and say: RUN A PASSIVE COOLER :P
You just disproved your own argument right there :lol: I say epic fail!

Yeah, and times that by ten for electric torque, a gas motor will never touch that sensation. You'll shift into second and be but a speck in my mirror :D

Ohh mate, you have no idea! The Tesla gets from 0-100km/h in 3.7 seconds, the Veyron in 2.5... 'nuf said! Ohh, and you just can't ignore the sound of a V8, V10 or even V12! On top of all that, you can only go slow in the Tesla... 201km/h, I was going faster in my brothers Golf before :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity Ivy, could you post your car history?

Alright, lets have a drive from San Francisco to New York... I shall drive my BMW 118d and you can have that Tesla piece of kit. How many times will you have to stop to recharge??? It just FAILS at range! The quality of the Tesla for example is rubbish though, just watch the Top Gear test...

:rolleyes: Now did we have to COMPLETELY miss the point?

You just disproved your own argument right there :lol: I say epic fail!

Ohh mate, you have no idea! The Tesla gets from 0-100km/h in 3.7 seconds, the Veyron in 2.5... 'nuf said! Ohh, and you just can't ignore the sound of a V8, V10 or even V12! On top of all that, you can only go slow in the Tesla... 201km/h, I was going faster in my brothers Golf before :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity Ivy, could you post your car history?

1)You can't possibly blame the tesla because the world has crappy fossil fuel ridden infrastructure.

2)No I didn't miss the point because he was trying to say that the rich can mess up the world because they're rich, which in turn must make it ok for a murderer to murder right?? (and no I'm not a murderer lol)

3) Not really, just because the passive cooled computer isn't overclocked doesn't mean it's not better.

4)Yeah they limit the speed due to range issues and what not, internal combustion engines are the main industry so there are still hurdles that electric cars cannot cross since they aren't supported/embraced by everyone.

and I don't see 90% of people being able to drive around at 201km/h all the time so having a car capable of going faster than is IMPRACTICAL. I never ignored the sound of a gas guzzler, I enjoy them, I also enjoy watching them get spanked by whiny 4 cylinders.

We're not all germans with autobahns.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

lol this place is a warzone, im bugging out! btw ill Take IVI's side when it comes to that :lol: (it seems we share plenty common ground in the realm of cars) :P hey i'v an idea, can we make an OCC top trumps game thread or something, that would be cool!

1)You can't possibly blame the tesla because the world has crappy fossil fuel ridden infrastructure.
It has nothing to do with 'crappy fossil fuel ridden infrastructure', there just isn't a way to charge that car fast (unless you have a portable Nuclear Power Plant of course)!
2)No I didn't miss the point because he was trying to say that the rich can mess up the world because they're rich, which in turn must make it ok for a murderer to murder right?? (and no I'm not a murderer lol)

Now you just proved that you missed the point :lol: It's a different thing driving a fast car than murdering someone! One is illegal, the other isn't ;)

4)Yeah they limit the speed due to range issues and what not, internal combustion engines are the main industry so there are still hurdles that electric cars cannot cross since they aren't supported/embraced by everyone.

and I don't see 90% of people being able to drive around at 201km/h all the time so having a car capable of going faster than is IMPRACTICAL. I never ignored the sound of a gas guzzler, I enjoy them, I also enjoy watching them get spanked by whiny 4 cylinders.

You see, the range issue thing is right. However, you misinterpreted my point about V8's and V10's! I did not say gas guzzlers, I said V8/V10! You see the difference? You probably don't, but there is a big difference right there! For example, a V10 from the Audi S8 is rated at 16MPG (450HP), a V12 TDI from Audi's Q7 is rated at 20MPG (over 500HP). A BMW 135i with a twin-turbo straight six is rated at 26MPG and it'll smoke a Mustang GT anytime. By the way, any of the three cars/engines I mentioned are much more fuel efficient than the Mustang, which is also much slower. Just an example.

We're not all germans with autobahns.
I am though! And I can tell you, you're missing out!

Bwahahahahaha. This is great. Seriously!

Electric cars will always have problems with range, until the technology comes to increase the speed at which the batteries can charge. Can you imagine the load on the grid charging all of those batteries in an hour? Perhaps, someday, it'll be as fast as filling a tank with gas or diesel. Perhaps. I don't intend on sticking a 3" copper wire into my car to charge it.

Hell, it'll probably be faster to have pre-charged batteries and SWAP them all.

Don't take this post as anti electric. I'm not. I understand torque. I understand efficiency. I like both ;)

There is simply a difference in how these vehicles can be used. Electric cars (and motorcycles) would make very good short to medium range commuting vehicles. Anything beyond say 100-200 miles can start to get unreasonable.

So, until the technology matures, and the infrastructure as well (we have a pretty archaic power grid in the US), I'll be driving a combustion engine powered car. I do what I can, but, it's not at the level where I'll buy an electric soon (although, perhaps an electric motorcycle in the near future). I'll simply keep driving the way I do, and running biodiesel whenever I can.

CONTINUING ON.

Number of cylinders has LITTLE TO NO bearing on horsepower output (and likewise, fuel consumption). Sure, it may influence the balance characteristics or exhaust note, but you can make them any size cylinders for any application. How about the 4-cylinder diesels in boats? They're the size of a HOUSE. Certainly not the same as the "whiney" 1.8 liter engines in econoboxes. When you enter into forced induction, cylinder displacement has less bearing - you simply cram more air and fuel in the cylinders...

On another related note. I watched a documentary on a special computer controlled fuel mix funny car (which, I believe, could not compete in the top fuel categories because it didn't run at a fixed fuel mixture). It was a 4 cylinder engine. It exited the quarter mile at stupid speeds (like 400 mph).

Personally, I'd rather have an inherently balanced engine configuration, than on that isn't. Engines that have particularly good balance characteristics:

Flat-4

Straight-6

Flat-6

Flat-12

V-12

Care to guess which one I have? :P