ASUS Xtreme Design contest: stage 2 build

redtigerdragon

Danny and I have been working double hard to bring you guys the pictures and videos we promised. As of now, we have split up to tackle both aspects of the Computer. Danny will be working mainly on testing the features of the motherboard, and I (Jonathan) will be working to complete the modded Haf 932 case.

Quick Update:

Danny has already tested a few features of the ASUS P7P55 PREMIUM motherboard and will have pics and videos up soon.

I have completed the removable motherboard tray and am working to complete the rear of the case. Almost finished!!! As with Danny's case, updated pictures are coming!!!!!! So stay tuned!

Edited by Seventh_Sliver

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys, here are some more pictures of the parts, before I put them in the machine...

IMG_0242.jpg

The PSU

IMG_0244.jpg

Memory

IMG_0246.jpg

Keyboard

IMG_0249.jpg

CPU

IMG_0252.jpg

GPU

IMG_0253.jpg

Mouse

IMG_0254.jpg

Mobo

IMG_0260.jpg

SSD

Here are some pics of the case build, note the mobo tray isn't done yet in these pics:

IMG_0262.jpg

Top view of mobo tray

IMG_0263.jpg

Mobo tray

IMG_0264.jpg

How it goes in the case

IMG_0287.jpg

We were up too late for the GF's...

Here's my adventure with ASUS Express Gate. This was before the OS install.

The first screen you see is pretty straight forward. You have options, form browsing the interwebs to looking at pictures. This is a pretty handy feature If you just need to hop on and make a quick reply on a post.

HPIM0096.jpg

HPIM0098.jpg

HPIM0099.jpg

HPIM0106.jpg

So, now it's time to use it. The obvious first move is to check out OCC...

HPIM0110.jpg

HPIM0111.jpg

HPIM0112.jpg

HPIM0114.jpg

HPIM0115.jpg

HPIM0116.jpg

HPIM0118.jpg

HPIM0121.jpg

All in all, pretty painless. I had some extra steps, as no OS was installed and it was my first time using it. Total took less than a minute to get through, even with the extra steps. This will be handy to just jump on real quick and check email and posts. Next up is to try the chat feature:

HPIM0123.jpg

HPIM0124.jpg

HPIM0125.jpg

HPIM0126.jpg

HPIM0127.jpg

That was just as easy, if not easier than the internet. Again, quick and painless. I was able to chat with friends before telling them I had to get back to work.

For the final part, I decided to try skype. This is just the setup, as I don't actually have an account. I wanted to see if it would be easy enough for a first time user.

HPIM0128.jpg

HPIM0129.jpg

HPIM0130.jpg

HPIM0131.jpg

HPIM0133.jpg

HPIM0134.jpg

HPIM0135.jpg

That was, once again, EASY! I'm starting to see a pattern here. ASUS put a lot of thought into this integrated OS of theirs. The whole thing is well designed and very easy to use, and can get you in and out very quickly. Stay tuned for more info on all of the Mobo features.

Hey guys and gals, new video:

. Check out how easy it is to get an 18% overclock! Got it up to 3.45 with the touch of a button. That's nearly .5GHz over the next higher up model, the i7 870! The price difference between the two at the egg is over $250, and that's what ASUS saves you with literally just the push of a button! See how easy it is using the link above! Edited by redtigerdragon

So here's a big update... We have been working all weekend on the Asus Xtreme Design project! Lots of pictures of the progress and its almost complete!!!! A few more little tweaks and its ready to be painted.

Now, We aren't experts at this whole modding gig. In fact, this is Danny and I's FIRST MOD EVER! And so we want to warn you that this mod will not be perfect. We tried our best to get as close to our concept design as possible.

Here are some of the last pics you will see before the finished product is unveiled!

This is the back of the computer in progress....

DSCN1126.jpg

DSCN1128.jpg

DSCN1129.jpg

DSCN1130.jpg

DSCN1131.jpg

DSCN1133.jpg

DSCN1137.jpg

DSCN1135.jpg

DSCN1138.jpg

DSCN1139.jpg

DSCN1140.jpg

DSCN1140.jpg

DSCN1142.jpg

DSCN1142.jpg

DSCN1145.jpg

DSCN1146.jpg

DSCN1147.jpg

DSCN1148.jpg

DSCN1149.jpg

Alright guys, here's us testing the SSD using the SATA 6.0 slots on the ASUS P7P55d Premium Motherboard. We tested it using HD Tach, and will use one of OCC's recent reviews (found here) to compare against.

IMG_0048.jpg

Here is the table for reference on all of the OCC graphs

IMG_0049.jpg

Here is a chart of average read time compared to...

IMG_0040.jpg

...our average read time shown above. You can also see random access time and CPU utilization above as compared to...

IMG_0051.jpg

...OCC's findings on random access and...

IMG_0052.jpg

...OCC's findings on CPU utilization using various drives.

IMG_0050.jpg

Here is OCC showing results of burst speed on those drives compared to...

IMG_0041.jpg

...our burst speed findings.

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

Last but not least is the nice graph output HD Tach gives you. All in all this drive is pretty competitive in all categories.