Overclocking and Vdroop

dns

Hi, I'm new to the forum as well as overclocking and I decided to overclock my Q6600 G0 2 days ago. I disabled the auto vcore setting it manually at 1.2812v, and cpu-z shows my vcore as 1.232v. I know this is called vdroop, but should I pay any mind to it? When other overclockers post their vcore, do they post the one showing in cpu-z or the voltage they set in the bios?

Aside from that, I've heard how an audio card can free up the load on the CPU, so would that mean I would get lower temps from using an audio card instead of onboard? I'm wondering if I should throw in an audigy 2 that I've had stored away for a while.

Take a look at this thread. Lots of info and points of view by various users. As far from what overclockers post, they use CPU-z info. Not only because it's the CPU-z info that counts when they validate but also it is more accurate.

And yes, by adding an audio card you will release the workload from the CPU, so less CPU work = less temps and you may even gain some performance but don't expect big differences.

Edited by ScapeGoat

Q6600 is a VERY overclockable CPU..Just keep tabs on the core TEMPS (download Real Temp)..The Tj Max for the G0 is 90C..It's generally acceptable and advisable to stay about 5C - 10C below that during extended and occaisional periods of extreme loads such as running IBT, OCCT, Prime95 etc..I would advise you to have the thermal control ckt. enabled in the BIOS, so that when your CPU hits the 90C Tj Max temp, it will start throttling the clock cycles and/or reduce Vcore and multiplier in an "attempt" to prevent frying things in a runaway overheat situation..My particular CPU needs 1.5+ Vcore to achieve my O/C.

I also need VDroop disabled, that actually will give me more Vcore when it's needed, not less as with it enabled..Yeah throw in yer sound card and see what diff it makes..But as ScapeGoat said, probably not a whole lot..If you can achieve your OC with VDroop enabled, then by all means do so..But I highly doubt you'll clock very high with it enabled..Disable it and it'll make a ton of difference.

I also need VDroop disabled, that actually will give me more Vcore when it's needed, not less as with it enabled..Yeah throw in yer sound card and see what diff it makes..But as ScapeGoat said, probably not a whole lot..If you can achieve your OC with VDroop enabled, then by all means do so..But I highly doubt you'll clock very high with it enabled..Disable it and it'll make a ton of difference.

Disabling VDroop is bad, read this post

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboard...tml#post5328186

direct article link

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel...?i=3184&p=6

Q6600 is a VERY overclockable CPU..Just keep tabs on the core TEMPS (download Real Temp)..The Tj Max for the G0 is 90C..It's generally acceptable and advisable to stay about 5C - 10C below that during extended and occaisional periods of extreme loads such as running IBT, OCCT, Prime95 etc..I would advise you to have the thermal control ckt. enabled in the BIOS, so that when your CPU hits the 90C Tj Max temp, it will start throttling the clock cycles and/or reduce Vcore and multiplier in an "attempt" to prevent frying things in a runaway overheat situation..My particular CPU needs 1.5+ Vcore to achieve my O/C.

Well, I'll try again BOB, if you are new to OCing or not , taking your processor to the TJmax is not a good thing under any condition. You will see here that Intels thermal spec for your processor is 71c , it's a good idea to try and keep your temps at or below this especially when starting out.

post-65878-1258134810_thumb.jpg

You can download the data sheet for all the recommended and MAX voltages and temps here:

http://www.intel.com/design/core2quad/documentation.htm

As far as the vdroop/vdrop question, I've had a Asus P35 motherboard pencil modded for over two years now, completely eliminating all vdrop/vdroop and have had no problems at all. I've also tried asking on different forums (including AnandTech that did that article) if anyone could produce actual scope shots of this with real world processors but so far I've never seen any. So, it's completely up to you on the whole LLC/pencil mod debate as to what your OC needs and what you are comfortable with.

Thanks for all the help. I'm using a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P btw. I encountered a problem this morning when starting up my computer and it said there was a problem while shutting down and gave me the option to boot in safe mode or to start windows normally. I started windows normally and it said that windows has recovered from an unexpected shut down. I was in the decision of lowering my core voltage even more, but I'm unsure if this boot problem was from the OC or not because I've been running at 9x333mhz for 2 days. Also, the longest I've ran prime95 for so far has been for 3 hours stable.

Apparently, I also misinterpreted vdroop. I have my cpu voltage in the bios set to 1.2812v and it shows up as 1.23v in cpu-z while idle, but under load it drops even lower to 1.216v. Is it safe to keep it at this?

Edited by dns

Those voltages are very safe. As far as I know you can feed a lot of voltage to that chip. The recommendation by Intel is under 1,35V so you're definitely safe within that limit, but I've seen several people running 1,4-1,5V without problems. I don't own a Q6600 but I'm pretty sure 1,4V is rather safe.

For the BSOD issue, I would just give the chip more juice. To save time, I usually run 10 tests of IntelBurnTest instead of spending hours with Prime95

Do keep in mind that whenever you increase your FSB frequency your DRAM frequency also increases. So if you go for higher values than 400MHz FSB you might need to add more juice for your RAM.

As far as I know a BSOD is usually caused by unstable memory. So check your RAM speed and try to adjust the FSB:DRAM multiplier so that your RAM runs as nearly as possible to stock frequency. You can also set your RAM speed to the minimum, this will totally remove RAM stabilty issues from the equasion. You can then up the FSB and know that its the CPU that is unstable if you get a BSOD or the system freezes during stress testing.

You should be just fine with 1:1 divider. 800MHz is what your sticks should definitely handle. By the way, if you didn't know, FSB*2=DRAM. So if you have 400MHz FSB, you're gonna have 800MHz memory, which will work out fine. Of course, if you can, you can try lower dividers to see if the instability is caused because of the memory overclocked too far.