ubuntu/7

mitchellbechtel

prefacing this whole thread with the following. im a total noob to OS.

first off, im going to be building a new gaming rig soon, but i'll still be going to school. so i'd like to be able to partition my hard drive into two separate parts, one for school and one for gaming. for example. when im on the school partition of the HD i would only want a word processor and browser. gaming would have all the entertainment side of it.

by partitioning windows 7 on the gaming side and ubuntu on the school side, would this be possible or...?

Do you have to use Ubuntu? Windows 7 does all of that just as well, and if your not very good with computers, you probably shouldn't try using Linux.

By the way it is possible and not even all that hard, but Linux isn't very simple to learn.

well the reason why i wanted to partition is because i want to be able to explore different operating systems. I won't say "good" with computers in the sense that i can write code or anything like that but im a fairly intelligent guy, just my mind likes to wander so i figured if i just put one operating system with barebones stuff only related to school and then another with all my entertainment, it would deter me from starting to play counterstrike when i should be writing the paper due tomorrow. get what i mean? :D

Yeah I know what you mean. I did the same thing once but didn't like having to relearn how to do things so I just uninstalled it. Just google "dual boot Ubuntu" and you will probably get a bunch of guides on how to set it up. I probably won't be of much help, so just wait for all of the Linux gurus to get on and they can probably help you with it.

it would deter me from starting to play counterstrike when i should be writing the paper due tomorrow. get what i mean? :D

this, and learning Linux type OSs, are reasons enough to dual boot Ubuntu...

You can do this easily. When installing the Operating systems, make sure you install the Windows OS first, then Ubuntu. As the GRUB boot loader that comes with ubuntu can be kinda picky if you don't do it that way.

Also Ubuntu comes with the Open office suit, which is just as good if not better than word. You can also get open office for windows.

Another easy route: Install windows 7

Then install Ubuntu in something like VirtualBox (VM) - runs great, and provides separate drive space for each VM, easy to experiment with.

You don't even need to do that if you want to try it out. You can run Ubuntu of a Live CD as well. This way you can play with the features and decided if it works well for you :)

• 1 month later...

Ubuntu will be really fun for you probably. Experimentation is definitely a good enough reason to try it out. I am running Ubuntu/7 on my laptop right now. Just make sure (as greengiant said) you install windows first, then ubuntu. It wont really mess things up if you do the other way around, but you will have to do some tinkering to bring GRUB back.

I mainly use Ubuntu because my laptop cannot run games that well, so the windows 7 partition sortof sits there unless I need to do some sort of image editing (never really got the hang of gimp) or something. You will quickly learn that using linux, you can do more things, and you can do them faster, as long as you take the time to figure stuff out.

After you are done messing around with ubuntu though, jump to gentoo. Then you'll be a badass. =]