LCD monitor shopping

mac173

I still have all CRT monitors, and am hoping to change at least one of them after the holidays. My problem is that I know NOTHING about flat panel monitors. Response rates, aspect ratio etc.

The three stats I see most often are Resolution, Responce time and Dynamic and Static Contrast ratio's.

What stats should I be looking at, and WHAT stats? Dynamic, or Static? 1000:1, 10,000:1, or 15,000:1?

Please help..........

Edited by mac173

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have all CRT monitors, and am hoping to change at least one of them after the holidays. My problem is that I know NOTHING about flat panel monitors. Response rates, aspect ratio etc.

The three stats I see most often are Resolution, Responce time and Dynamic and Static Contrast ratio's.

What stats should I be looking at, and WHAT stats? Dynamic, or Static? 1000:1, 10,000:1, or 15,000:1?

Please help..........

Contrast ratio is useless, most are lies. Most are actually like 1000:1 or something like that. Look for a monitor that is the size you want and the resolution you want at the price you want. Then once you've found some good candidates search for reviews and post them here.

Edited by xchrissypoox

Contrast ratio is useless, most are lies. Most are actually like 1000:1 or something like that. Look for a monitor that is the size you want and the resolution you want at the price you want. Then once you've found some good candidates search for reviews and post them here.

hehe, you know what vid card I will be running this monitor on, any suggestions on specs?

Budget plays a big part. I like Samsung, and I right now I really like them because they just RMAd a monitor for free and conveniently (though the process isn't down but so far so good). And because the look good. If you want a really nice monitor and can shell out the big bucks get a dell ultrasharp (or equivalent). if you cant do that, determine what size monitor is large enough for you but dont just buy the largest cheapest monitor there is (I.E. 30" 1440x900 resolution) or else the pixel density will be bad. Try to get one that has the standard amount of pixels for its size, so for a 24" it should have 1920x1200 resolution. I wouldn't get something larger than 1920x1200 resolution with a gtx 275. normally 1920x1080 monitors are a lot cheaper then 1920x1200 monitors so if you are on a tight budget a 24" 1920x1080 is ~200-250. On newegg (and most places) contrast ratio is useless. Make sure the monitor you buy has the inputs you need (so say you need a hdmi for your xbox, etc.) I wouldn't worry about response time unless its over 6-8ms.

Also you have to start thinking 3d if you are investing in a monitor.

Right now there is only the 22inch 120hz one.

But if you look at any TV from best buy, almost all now are 120hz, 240hz, and some plasmas are 600hz.

You need 120hz minimum for 3d. But that's 60hz per eye

22 inches, is freaking small.

But soon, they should have 26-30 inch out, and not only at 120hz, but 240hz.

Of course I know of no ACTUAL products coming out that meet these specs for a computer monitor. Just telling you what the next 'must have' features WILL BE to justify the higher margins on upper end gear.

This WILL be the selling point. I just don't know if it will be next year's monitor model or the year after.

But we are at that point where if you are about to drop 300-500 on a monitor (or more), you might want to get something cheap, as the 3d monitors should get bigger and better soon. Why not have it on your next purchase if you have to wait only a few more months??????

If you've ever had the displeasure at watching a monitor at 60hz, you'll no doubt realize that the flicker can get to you. 3d games @ 60 hz for each eye will probably do this as well. Definitely much, much, better than 60hz shared and thus 30hz each eye.

BUT, considering I like my current NEC crt @ well over 100hz, and can TELL the difference, I personally want to either buy as cheap of 26-28 inch I can find (about $250), or wait until a 26-28 inch with a 240hz (120 hz each eye) for 3d.

Of course this is just Nvidia 3d.

REAL 3d TV is still 2015-2020. (you know like upwards from a table, see through 3d, like the old 3d game in Robotech cartoon. Also NO GLASSES needed. Hopefully much better than the old Mad Dog McCree??? 3d game by Sega in the early-mid nineties @ arcades.

So just remember, anything you buy, regular tv or monitor, has a shelf life based on the above. With the 3d lcd monitors of GOOD SIZE for games with glasses might only be a few months away.

Don't settle for less than this, look how happy she is!! She'd totally date you if you got one too!!

Samsung_CX305T.jpg

LOL

Ok, here are some I found. What do you think? (Edit - Added the Dell)

AOC 2217

AOC 2236vW

Samsung 22 inch

Asus 24 inch

DELL

Just get the Samsung and get it over with. I have the 1680x1050 panel equivalent and love it.