Can't OC My CPU Anymore!

MJCRO

Yeah I'm gonna do that, but how could a GPU change a systems attributes like this, this is sooo frustrating, this CPU is fine at 400 x 8, it would be stupid of me to buy an E8400 when this CPU is fine. I was planning on buying another 4770, but seems like thats not happening anything time soon. <_<

what card are you replacing with the 4770? The 2600XT? Are you running both cards?

I would suspect PSU reaching it's limit.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a better PS is needed.....I don't know anything about Rosewell PS's (other than it is an Eggclusive brand).....

It may be your software, I had nothing but problems until I UNINSTALLED all the previous ATI softwares, had to use driver cleaner, driver sweeeper, a little removal tool from M$, and even a manual removal of a stray folder after my own search, then, finally, a proper install of all the softwares for perfect runnings.....

If you got a good core you should be able to go beyond 900 for sure (940+ without volt adjustments), and I pegged the mems on my first one (got them a week apart) to 1000, never tried higher, the second one is a crud core, 822 max, got it running secondary (volts might help, can make permanent with modfiied bios flash).....mems do the same 1000 though....

laterzzzz.............

Edited by bldegle2

what card are you replacing with the 4770? The 2600XT? Are you running both cards?

I would suspect PSU reaching it's limit.

I had a low opinion of Rosewill's produced before but if the change from a 2600XT to a 4770 overloads the system then clearly they're not to be touched. :lol: He shouldn't be anywhere near the limits of a decent 300 watt supply...let alone a "550 watt" PSU.

I have no clue, right now I have the it running @ 2.93/1066 266 x 11 through EasyTune6. I tried every different type of volatage combination through the BIOS and to no avail. I'm tempted to just wipe my hard drive to get this work, don't really have anything important of it. I'll try to switch out my PSU but, this Roswill is running fine, with a strong 12V of 36 amps. and all voltages are running high and strong. I mean hey it might be the PSU, who knows. :thumbs-up:

Your OS has nothing to do with whether or not your computer will POST properly when overclocked and it's not your PSU if it'll OC in Windows...there's something else amiss.

Are any BIOS updates available?

Edited by Waco

Your OS has nothing to do with whether or not your computer will POST properly when overclocked and it's not your PSU if it'll OC in Windows...there's something else amiss.

Oh wow, theres a BETA BIOS at the Gigabyte site, do you think I should flash it and see what the result are? I'm kinda nervous with a Beta, it might not flash well. :unsure:

I'm currently running the F8 BIOS 4/16/09, which I flashed back in May.

LINK

Edited by MJCRO

Oh wow, theres a BETA BIOS at the Gigbyte site, do you think I should flash it and see what the result are? I'm kinda nervous with a Beta, it might not flash well. :unsure:

I agree with Mr. Waco, that it's not a problem with your OS, and doing a fresh install isn't needed.

I would suggest the option bldegle2 has mentioned, about running driver cleaner, and uninstalling everything ATI, then reinstall the ATI software.

It does seam odd that your system will OC just fine with your old video card, and not with your new one. That kinda tells me that you may have a weak rail, or one that is starting to go bad. Do you have a multi-meter to test your rails on that PSU?

Does your PSU have a single 12v rail, or does it have multiple rails?

Can you put your old video card back in and then OC your system to where it was, and do a stress test. If you start failing the stress test, that may point you to the PSU as the cause of your problems?

I'd also hold off on flashing your bios with a beta version!

Edited by Inteller

I agree with Mr. Waco, that it's not a problem with your OS, and doing a fresh install isn't needed.

I would suggest the option bldegle2 has mentioned, about running driver cleaner, and uninstalling everything ATI, then reinstall the ATI software.

It does seam odd that your system will OC just fine with your old video card, and not with your new one. That kinda tells me that you may have a weak rail, or one that is starting to go bad. Do you have a multi-meter to test your rails on that PSU?

Does your PSU have a single 12v rail, or does it have multiple rails?

Can you put your old video card back in and then OC your system to where it was, and do a stress test. If you start failing the stress test, that may point you to the PSU as the cause of your problems?

I'd also hold off on flashing your bios with a beta version!

Wow thanks man, lots of helpful suggestions, sadly I already flashed, this BIOS is perfectly fine, but I'll roll back later. Def. gonna give these a shot. And if all this does not come to a solution, I'm already in the process of saving money to upgrade this old build to a Q9550, New Case, 700W+ PSU, CD Drive, Prob. another 4770, Keyboard, Mouse, etc.

Thx again. :thumbs-up:

Well since you've already flashed your bios, then I'd say you can rule that out to, as with my experience, a corrupted bios, you'll know right off the bat!

Go ahead and try the driver cleaner! Then the reinstall.

If and when you do a new build, I'd highly recommend a Corsair PSU or PC p&c PSU, SilverStone's are rated well also. Go with a single 12 volt rail, and avoid the multi 12 volt rails.

After I bought my 4770 yesterday

(...)

Previous card: HD 2600XT 256MB GDDR4

First thing I did was look at your sig for PSU... Rosewill PSUs are horrible

2600XT: 21 / 28 / 49 W (idle, 2D, 3D)

4770: 26 / 58 / 80 W

It's not much of a raise in power consumption, but it's still a raise...

Have you tried the 4770 alone, instead of both cards... replacing the 2600XT isn't a tall order power-wise, but adding one might cause a crappy Rosewill PSU to ripple the power

I'd say, invest in a real PSU, good ones will serve you through several generations of CPUs/motherboards :)

First thing I did was look at your sig for PSU... Rosewill PSUs are horrible

2600XT: 21 / 28 / 49 W (idle, 2D, 3D)

4770: 26 / 58 / 80 W

It's not much of a raise in power consumption, but it's still a raise...

Have you tried the 4770 alone, instead of both cards... replacing the 2600XT isn't a tall order power-wise, but adding one might cause a crappy Rosewill PSU to ripple the power

I'd say, invest in a real PSU, good ones will serve you through several generations of CPUs/motherboards :)

Yeah, actually I've been running this one alone, before I put the 2600XT in my first slot, and ran the 4770 in the second slot, booted, OC'd to old settings perfectly. So I'm not so sure if it my PSU, but could be. :unsure:

Edited by MJCRO