i7 920 Overclocking Opinions

Nicckko

First than anything I will like to say hi and introduce myself to the community, this is my first post.

Recently I replaced my old CPU with this new CPU that has the following specs:

Motherboard: Asus Rampage Gene II MicroAtx

Processor: Core i7 920

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H50

Memory: DDR3 Gamer Series Tri Channel for Core

Edited by Nicckko

hi,

Well nice system, but, why did u buy a micro-atx board if u have a big case like that?!

Anyway, I wont say anything about your oc because i dont have experience doing that on my i7 (never needed, hehe).

But, I must say I'm kind of lost with your case cooling configuration, man.

Is your corsair's radiator fan blowing in? :blink:

Your rear fans are also intakes?

front/side/back intakes and only exhaust is your top fan?

Looks kind of crazy, or maybe I'm being thick here :rolleyes: , I mean, looks like that from your pic with the airflow arrows.

Your core temps look OK though.

The RII GENE is a great little board. I just gave miine to my brother after slapping a DO 920 in it and hitting 4.0 prime stable at 1.28 volts. Even though it is smaller than the RIIE it packs a solid performance punch. It took all of 2 minutes to get to 4.0 GHZ 200x20 1600 7-7-7-20 adjust the vcore, vdimm and VTT and presto its there. RUnning with a TITAN Fenrir at 77C max with only a single fan on it.

The RII GENE is a great little board. I just gave miine to my brother after slapping a DO 920 in it and hitting 4.0 prime stable at 1.28 volts. Even though it is smaller than the RIIE it packs a solid performance punch. It took all of 2 minutes to get to 4.0 GHZ 200x20 1600 7-7-7-20 adjust the vcore, vdimm and VTT and presto its there. RUnning with a TITAN Fenrir at 77C max with only a single fan on it.

It is a great board. I thought you were going to give me a run for my money in the 1156/1366 overclocking thread with that board? I hit 4.0Ghz at 1.275(it will boot at a notch lower but isn't truly stable long term) on the Rampage II GENE.

To the OP that looks like you have a great CPU. I had that cooler for a short time running tests with an AMD 965 and it performed better with 2 fans on it in a push/pull configuration. I put 2 Scythe 110 CFM fans to replace the stock Corsair fan.

Don't let the size of the R II GENE fool you it's not an older micro-atx that's capabilities are limited. It's an extremely powerful overclocker with a full set of features.

I was but my brother needed a decent board. I told him that if he bought a 920 I would hook him up with the rest of the parts

Memory , board, Video card, case, hdd

What are brothers for !

Does this apply to random acquaintances on online forums? :P

hi,

Well nice system, but, why did u buy a micro-atx board if u have a big case like that?!

Anyway, I wont say anything about your oc because i dont have experience doing that on my i7 (never needed, hehe).

But, I must say I'm kind of lost with your case cooling configuration, man.

Is your corsair's radiator fan blowing in? :blink:

Your rear fans are also intakes?

front/side/back intakes and only exhaust is your top fan?

Looks kind of crazy, or maybe I'm being thick here :rolleyes: , I mean, looks like that from your pic with the airflow arrows.

Your core temps look OK though.

Hi, played with fan configuration this afternoon got great result. Now the Corsair fans and top fan are exhaust, the front and side are intake. Thank you for replying :rolleyes:

Hi, played with fan configuration this afternoon got great result. Now the Corsair fans and top fan are exhaust, the front and side are intake. Thank you for replying

Nice :thumbs-up:

You've used Asus turboV right?

Is that good? I mean, does it works well?

Just curious. I used to go through the BIOS on my old faithful E6600 before I changed to my, still virgin :blush: , i7.

Oh, and about the motherboard, I didn't mean it wasn't good or anything like that (never owned that board, so I wouldn't know). Just asked cause most crazy "enthusiasts" go for SLI or Crossfire capable boards.

Cheers :)

Edited by Edgard of Rivia