GTX 285 vs HD 5850,3x sli or crossfire, need help!

Hey,

I just build a nice syste. I already have gtx 285 and gtx 295. I realize that doing sli on gtx 295 sucks. And HD5850 is basically little faster then gtx 285. Now I know if I was going for one card setup, HD 5850 would have been a no brainer. However, I wanted to do 3x sli. I know in the 4xxx series, the crossfire really sucked, but this is new 5xxx series. I could also keep gtx 295, wait till 5870 price go down in few month and snatch those. But as I say, my long term, goal is to have 3 cards. If crossfire 3x sucks even in 5xxx cards, I will then sell my 295, get another 285 gtx. And after a while add another 285 gtx when prices are really low. But, 5xxx series costs almost the same, new technology and all, but doesn't do my ANY good, if they suck in crossfire doing 3x. So anyone have any suggestion on what should be a better approach. I have only came across one review where this guy did 3x crossfire, but there was hardly any difference betwen 2x and 3x crossfire. There are some reviews done on tr-sli, one is below:

http://www.benchmarkextreme.com/Articles/G...nalysis/P9.html

I have only seen on tri crossfire for HD 5870:

http://pcper.com/article.php?aid=796&t...xpert&pid=6

and unlike tri sli, the results doesn't impress me.

Please let me know ur opinion thanks

and yea I play 1920 x 1080 resolution at least on 100" projector. Or the highest the games allows.

and what may I ask are you playing that requires Tri-fire or Tri-SLI. It's pretty obvious that Tri-SLI is better than Tri-Fire but it's also pretty obvious that standard SLI or crossfire could handle anything out right now

imo those are overkill setups for that resolution.

If you are heavy into benchmarking I could see it but I dunno if its worth it for you.

If you already have a 295 and a 285 thats a pretty powerful system as it is if you off load PhysX to the 285.

imo those are overkill setups for that resolution.

If you are heavy into benchmarking I could see it but I dunno if its worth it for you.

If you already have a 295 and a 285 thats a pretty powerful system as it is if you off load PhysX to the 285.

Well I have used 285 for physixs, however, all it gives 10% boost in during the 3d maark vantage score. Also saw only 2-3 frames difference in Crysis. But it suks to know for tri my choice is only nvidia. Another question: Does the graphics of ati still better than nvdia, does Nvidia now also have good graphics quality? Now onw would really suck is when new 300 comes out from nvidia, it would be having speed of 3x or gtx 285 and having he same price as of buying 3 285's! Now that be a hard breaker!

Well gotta go guys

Well I have used 285 for physixs, however, all it gives 10% boost in during the 3d maark vantage score. Also saw only 2-3 frames difference in Crysis. But it suks to know for tri my choice is only nvidia. Another question: Does the graphics of ati still better than nvdia, does Nvidia now also have good graphics quality? Now onw would really suck is when new 300 comes out from nvidia, it would be having speed of 3x or gtx 285 and having he same price as of buying 3 285's! Now that be a hard breaker!

Well gotta go guys

You're looking passed the point of our responses....Ideally what'd you'd want is a system like mine (though your's would be better with the 295) where you have a 295 for rendering and an 8800GT/9600GT for physx.

I'd recommend selling the 285 and then running the 295/8800GT

Edited by IVIYTH0S

You're looking passed the point of our responses....Ideally what'd you'd want is a system like mine (though your's would be better with the 295) where you have a 295 for rendering and an 8800GT/9600GT for physx.

I'd recommend selling the 285 and then running the 295/8800GT

or give me that 285 and i'll give you my 9800 :D

No if or buts! Seriously, 3 5850's is cheaper then 3 GTX 285's, and the 5850 is DX11! Cmon now, we all know that is more economical and future wise to invest in 3 5850's then 3 GTX 285's. :thumbs-up:

Well gotta go guys

You are missing bosco's point.....unless you are benchmarking and going for world records, then you just don't need any more than you have atm. You should keep the money and spend it on updating the computer when you need to, or just start an additional hobby if money isnt a problem.

You could of course look at SSD's

Edited by Comp Dude2

Well gotta go guys

Crysis doesn't support PhysX which is why you would not see an increase. If you played Batman, Mirrors Edge, Dead Space etc you would see huge boosts.

Crysis doesn't support PhysX which is why you would not see an increase. If you played Batman, Mirrors Edge, Dead Space etc you would see huge boosts.

Thats for damn sure! Im playing Batman with every settting maxed and it is smooth as butteeeeerrrr!! But i would just sell the 295 and and buy another 285 and a 9800gtx. Two 285's would scale better than the one 295 and with the 9800 as PsyX Im positive you'd be more than content.