USB memory stick running Linux

labatt_splatts

Hey there,

I've run several versions of Linux off of a USB stick before, mainly Backtrack.

Currently I switch from 3 computers daily; work (XP), gaming (Win7) and laptop (xandros). So I was thinking of creating a USB stick that could be my new work computer that can go anywhere.

I was just wondering if it is possible to use an OS on a USB and save your work.

Could I just partition an area to save my documents, downloads and bookmarks? Essentially cloud computing would be ideal for me, especially since i use Google Docs.

I could do stuff remotely but I want try to have the USB to take anywhere easily and use on any computer.

you would prob benefit for waiting for googles new OS coming out. i think i read somewhere that they made sure you CANNOT run M$ OS's on a USB stick.. if you can find a way its one of the things ill be trying out too!

you would prob benefit for waiting for googles new OS coming out. i think i read somewhere that they made sure you CANNOT run M$ OS's on a USB stick.. if you can find a way its one of the things ill be trying out too!

Yeah very good call that's what I was thinking. Still projected for release around spring 2010?

I guess I'll play around with Linux and try to fool around with partitions in order to save files.

• 2 months later...

Chrome OS is only for web browsing, and if you don't have internet access you're basically screwed; with no access to Google Docs, etc. I'd recommend getting the Ubuntu installer, writing it to the USB drive with unetbootin, and using it Live from there.

an alternative is to run portable versions of software on a USB stick...

I've recently tried out "Portable USB Apps MEGA - Sep 2009", and it's great... I think the install size is about 1.2 GB, so any USB stick >= 2GB would do :)

found one trojan/virus in a some sort of serial list app, but hopefully that sort of "surprise" should be obvious ;)

Chrome OS is only for web browsing, and if you don't have internet access you're basically screwed; with no access to Google Docs, etc. I'd recommend getting the Ubuntu installer, writing it to the USB drive with unetbootin, and using it Live from there.

Agreed. I've used unetbootin to create bootable USB drives that run DClinux which is based on Ubuntu. The install is about 500MB.

You can run windows xp on a portal hard drive I think. But you actually need a hard drive type thing not a stick.

There's http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8 . Its a bit involved but you get a full XP install on a USB stick. If the OP wants to run XP then this is probably your best bet. I don't think BartPE solutions will allow you to save.

Personally, I'd just go for a linux USB boot. There's a nice list at http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

I'd give slitaz a try. It is ridiculously small, lightweight, and fast. It's designed for this purpose, though quite a few people run it as their everyday OS.

Edited by Skipinder

• 1 month later...

how many public computers will let you boot to another drive though, most likely their bioses will be locked. It'd be hit and miss and doesn't sound worth it unless you have alot of friends with spare computers. Maybe get a net book or something. (sorry if I'm not on the supportive side, it would be cool just not really worthwhile)