Determining the culprit of a failed overclock.

sack_patrol

You know if you Keep shooting down the People that are helping or your going to be on your own Ballist1x.

That BS set aside try Raising the NB voltage, SB voltage, HTT voltage, and NB VID up a bit. Thats what fixed mine to get to 3.50.

And trust me you CPU is not a DUD, its actually one of the better ones. mine will not OC past 3.55 and that is when luck is on my side. but I belive that has to do with my cooling solution and will be delt with when money is to be had.

Good luck dude.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay well I'll be sure to try and raising EVERYTHING to kingdom come. We'll see how that works out. lol I doubt it'll work, but...free advice take it or leave it lol.

If it doesn't work, does that mean that the mobo is the reason?

On a side note. I'm not "shooting down anyone" It was a joke. C'mon. ;)

EDIT: What exactly am I supposed to raise exactly. Theres like... 2 different nb voltages n other whatevers. If you'd indicated using the bios thing I provided in the second post it'd be a world of help.

Edited by ballist1x

Well if you have adjusted everything I think the only way would be to get another chip try it then get another board and see if you get the same resolve. with overclocking in my experience its fairly hard to tell whats wrong without a ton of trial and error and just plain trying known good components in it.

My 2 cents

Good luck dude. im chasing the same goal..... see below.

Edited by boinker

Nothing fails untill 3.0Ghz. I mean up untill it everything passes without any problem. In order to get to 3.9 I need the settings to be as they are meaning everything is as it should be, or else it would show that something's wrong. At 4.0Ghz it simply does a boot loop. Let's say I were to start over...I'll just end up at 3.8 with only touching the vcore and multi. At that point I'll have to up the NB and it's voltage, and thats it. (ram is stock except I uped the voltage a bit) Then I'll get the same exact thing when I try 4.0Ghz. I'll try the thing with lowering the HTT, probably won't work.

I wanna figure out which is the problem because one day when I have to upgrade...I wanna know what to get so that it replaces the part that is holding back the other.

Also yes I wanna achieve the status of 4.0Ghz. I don't care about performance. Everyone can oc to 3.9Ghz The 4.0Ghz threshold is a whole different thing.

EDIT: HTT lowering thing didn't do anything as expected. Now, I've already accepted that it's not gonna work. All I wanna do is figure out what is causing it. Thats what the thread is about.

So at 3.9GHz you are stable or unstable? and when I say stable I do not mean you can boot into Windows but you can pass some sort of stress testing

2 things everyone left out of here was your NB or MCH reference voltage and your CPU reference voltage (both these may be referred to as GTL voltages) adjusting these recently on my system got my E8400 from 4.5ghz 6 hour prime stable with 1.52v to 12hour prime stable with 1.488v. The main one to care about is the NB GTL ref, the CPU won't matter much until really high clocks. Think of the GTL refs as your main adjustment to try to get the FSB "back in sync" with your NB. As you increase the FSB freq, you will drift "out of line" with the NB and then you will get errors and what not. The GTL refs are your tool to adjust the FSB back in tune. And your FSB or VTT voltage is more of a fine tuning once you are in the right ballpark of your GTL voltages. That is why people need to increase their FSB voltage so much to notice barely any improvements. The GTL's are one of the "unkown features" that most people find in their BIOS, and most of them never touch it. I suggest googling it and reading more. But you know the guys you see with super low vcore and high clock speeds? Ex) http://i38.tinypic.com/2r61kxj.jpg Well sometimes it is not a "golden chip", sometimes it's just knowing what you're doing.

Since its obvious you have no clue what your doing I would try reading some guides first...

You're an idiot. Please don't post in my threads as it seems you are quite useless.

So at 3.9GHz you are stable or unstable? and when I say stable I do not mean you can boot into Windows but you can pass some sort of stress testing

@ 3.9Ghz I pass prime95, occt...linx whatever..I was testing the pc the whole Sunday with those and it never fails. @ 4.0Ghz, the thing doesn't even boot no matter what I increase, and by how much.

2 things everyone left out of here was your NB or MCH reference voltage and your CPU reference voltage (both these may be referred to as GTL voltages) adjusting these recently on my system got my E8400 from 4.5ghz 6 hour prime stable with 1.52v to 12hour prime stable with 1.488v. The main one to care about is the NB GTL ref, the CPU won't matter much until really high clocks. Think of the GTL refs as your main adjustment to try to get the FSB "back in sync" with your NB. As you increase the FSB freq, you will drift "out of line" with the NB and then you will get errors and what not. The GTL refs are your tool to adjust the FSB back in tune. And your FSB or VTT voltage is more of a fine tuning once you are in the right ballpark of your GTL voltages. That is why people need to increase their FSB voltage so much to notice barely any improvements. The GTL's are one of the "unkown features" that most people find in their BIOS, and most of them never touch it. I suggest googling it and reading more. But you know the guys you see with super low vcore and high clock speeds? Ex) http://i38.tinypic.com/2r61kxj.jpg Well sometimes it is not a "golden chip", sometimes it's just knowing what you're doing.

um...550BE? Do I really have to be messing around with the fsb? I'll check this GTL stuff out but...it looks fishy. (I hope you're not mixing the amd and the intel stuff up.) Hey wait...isn't this for quads? It's like all the everything in good that has to do with GTL also has to do with quad core cpus..and intel.

Here. Look at what I'm working with. I've tried modifying everything that has to do with overclocking...even some thing that don't but I did it anyway...hey you never know. Those aren't my settings though...I took the images from the DFIClub forum where they review the board and the bios.

pwm_l.jpg

genie_l.jpg

feature_l.jpg

Edited by ballist1x

Ok I think I found out which is which so I increased them...and no 4.0Ghz, and on top of that I had to reset cmos. It's obvious now that it won't oc to 4.0Ghz. I just wanna know what's causing it ffs.

Has it occured to you that you've possibly reached the chips limits? 4Ghz may simply be out of reach. Your CPU cooler is also not the best. Best performance vs. price maybe but certainly not the best air cooler out there. Put up some screen shots of your system passing OCCT and Prime95 on your system. Let everyone see what your peak temps are so you can get some more help.

Roadrunner knows quite a bit about overclocking and could have been a good resource for advice. You've more than likely pissed away any chance that he'd help you now. Keep it up and you'll be starting help threads that nobody will answer. It's just friendly advice but I suggest you take it to heart before you burn any more bridges.

Has it occured to you that you've possibly reached the chips limits? 4Ghz may simply be out of reach. Your CPU cooler is also not the best. Best performance vs. price maybe but certainly not the best air cooler out there. Put up some screen shots of your system passing OCCT and Prime95 on your system. Let everyone see what your peak temps are so you can get some more help.

Roadrunner knows quite a bit about overclocking and could have been a good resource for advice. You've more than likely pissed away any chance that he'd help you now. Keep it up and you'll be starting help threads that nobody will answer. It's just friendly advice but I suggest you take it to heart before you burn any more bridges.

Alrite. So first: It has...this thread was about finding what was causing it...and if in fact it had reached the limit (meaning it was the CPU) or if my mobo was holding the cpu back because it wasn't good enough...if I didn't have enough ram, or if it was simply me who was doing it wrong(not likely). People started asking about stuff so I provided and it just changed to "how to get the cput to 4.0Ghz". I don't mind, just telling you how it is.

Next: My cpu cooler should be good enough to make it to 4.0Gh ...I'm not using it to the max. And if it was the coolers fault, then I'd get bsod, crashes and whatever else. I don't have any of those...simply a pc that will loop boot, with no evident cause.

Next: I could post pics...I don't see the point though if I could just tell you that I do pass them (no reason to be lying...I'm doing this for me...no one else) and my temps don't go above 35 on load on 1.45V for 19.5 multi = 3.9Ghz.

Next: Roadrunner was being an butt. He doesn't know how many hours I've spent reading reviews, and I did get very pissed. Maybe he could have said...."Your doing it wrong...read "this" review or "that" guide. I could care less about how much he knows. If he's gonna be like that he's no good to me...nor anyone else. As you see I'm not going around flaming at everyone. Just the once that deserve it, because there are those that do actually wanna help...also those that may not know much but still try to help (me included) which I also appreciate.

Next: My cpu cooler should be good enough to make it to 4.0Gh ...I'm not using it to the max. And if it was the coolers fault, then I'd get bsod, crashes and whatever else. I don't have any of those...simply a pc that will loop boot, with no evident cause.

Next: I could post pics...I don't see the point though if I could just tell you that I do pass them (no reason to be lying...I'm doing this for me...no one else) and my temps don't go above 35 on load on 1.45V for 19.5 multi = 3.9Ghz.

Humor me if you will and post some screenshots of OCCT passing a 1 hour test. I'd like to see a 35C load temp at 3.9Ghz. I'm not calling you a liar I just need to see it.

I can't speak for Roadrunner and wouldn't presume to. I would however say that looking for other's BIOS settings and emulating those isn't a recipe for success. Even changing some of the settings from those you've copied will leave you in the dark. You won't know or understand what made your overclock successful much less what made one fail.