Determining the culprit of a failed overclock.

sack_patrol

Anyone know some techniques or something that could help me see what the cause of a failed overclock is? Like, if it's the CPU or mobo, or ram for example. I wanna know what exactly is causing my cpu to not reach 4.0Ghz. So I have to figure out what's doing it. Debug LED has nothing to say because the PC boots fine, but when it reaches the Windows Logo with the little bar that moves a couple of times, it restarts and it's like a loop so I can't really tell.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrite Here ya go:

MCT Memory Timing >>>>>>>>> Press Enter to set timings fully with F-9

ODC Control Mode >>>>>>>>> No Adjusting Done to Date

DCTs Mode >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ganged

CKE base power down mode >> Disabled

CKE base power down >>>>>>> Per Channel

Pressed Enter for MCT Memory Timing

MCT Memory Timing >>>>>>>>>> Manual

2T Mode >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Disabled though doesn't matter, it goes to 2T because if ganged mode.

CAS Latency Time >>>>>>>>>>> 7 CLK

Precharge Delay (tRAS) >>>>> 24 CLK

DRAM RAS# Precharge >>>>>>>> 7 CLK

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay >>>> 7 CLK

Bank to Bank CMD (tRRD) >>>> 4 CLK

TRC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AUTO

TRTP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AUTO

Write Recovery (tWR( >>>>>>> AUTO

Write-Read Command (tWTR) >> AUTO

TRFC0 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AUTO

TRFC1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AUTO

TRFC2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AUTO

TRFC3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AUTO

Trdrd >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AUTO

TrwtTO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AUTO

Twrrd >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AUTO

Twrwr >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AUTO

Bank Swizzle Mode >>>>>>>>>> Enabled

Auto Tweak Performance >>>>> Disabled

Optimal Performance Mode >>> Disabled

HT Link Control NOT ADJUSTED

CPU Feature NOT ADJUSTED

PWM Setting

PWM Control >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Enabled

CPU VID Special Add >>>>>>>> +125.0 mV

CPU NB VID Special Add >>>>>> Auto

DRAM Voltage Control >>>>>>>> 1.702 V

SB PLL 1.2V Voltage >>>>>>>>> 1.20 V

NB Core Voltage >>>>>>>>>>>>> 1.250 V

NB PCIE Voltage >>>>>>>>>>>>> 1.120 V

NB HT Voltage >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1.270 V

Memory Current Value >>>>>>>> DDR 1333

Timing Mode >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Manual

Memory Clock Value or Limit > DDR3 1333

AMD K8 Cool&Quiet Control >>> Disabled

CPU Clock Ratio >>>>>>>>>>>>> 19.5

CPU-NB Voltage >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1.3500 V

CPU-NB Clock Ratio >>>>>>>>>> x12

HT Link Frequency >>>>>>>>>>> 2 Ghz

O.C. Fail Retry Counter >>>>> 1

O.C. FAil CMOS Reload >>>>>>> Disabled

Spread Spectrum >>>>>>>>>>>>> Disabled

CPU Host/HTT Boot Up Clock >> 200 Mhz

CPU Host/HTT Clock >>>>>>>>>> 200 Mhz

CPU Host/HTT Adjust Gap >>>>> 5 Mhz

PCIE Clock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 100 Mhz

I did give it A LOT of vcore...more than it's healthy. +200.0 mV to be exact. It always does the same thing. You can see my overclocking thread if u really want to: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=169489 only there I made a mistake in the vcore it wrote 100 when it's actually 125. Anyway.

I don't think that it'll help. I mean...if I add more....and if it's too much it'll fail, but that only means that I put too much on the NB. Doesn't really tell me if I can't achieve 4.0ghz because the cpu isn't one of the lucky ones, or if I don't have enough ram, or if my motherboard isn't good enough. I could always go and spend 300$ more for a new mobo and a new cpu and see if they oc to 4.0ghz and then I can see what the problem was, but there must be a cheapr way.

Honestly the difference between 3.9GHz and 4.0GHz is nill, and you'll see no performance gain at all. Unless your just after that elusive 4GHz status? But performance wise your not gaining anything.

These are the settings I find have the most to do with a good OC

CPU Vcore

CPU PLL voltage

NB voltage

FSB voltage

Plus keeping your memory speeds close to rated specs.

With a AMD cpu you may have to lower your HTT frequency for a higher OC.

Best of luck to you.

You can start from scratch and change one setting at a time to see what causes a failure. I use Prime 95 and look at what test fails and make adjustment based on that. the lower k tests are the CPU and the higher the memory and the memory controller. SO start over and bump up one thing at a time and you should find the culprit. It may be that your chip just does not have the ability to do it.

You can start from scratch and change one setting at a time to see what causes a failure. I use Prime 95 and look at what test fails and make adjustment based on that. the lower k tests are the CPU and the higher the memory and the memory controller. SO start over and bump up one thing at a time and you should find the culprit. It may be that your chip just does not have the ability to do it.

Nothing fails untill 3.0Ghz. I mean up untill it everything passes without any problem. In order to get to 3.9 I need the settings to be as they are meaning everything is as it should be, or else it would show that something's wrong. At 4.0Ghz it simply does a boot loop. Let's say I were to start over...I'll just end up at 3.8 with only touching the vcore and multi. At that point I'll have to up the NB and it's voltage, and thats it. (ram is stock except I uped the voltage a bit) Then I'll get the same exact thing when I try 4.0Ghz. I'll try the thing with lowering the HTT, probably won't work.

I wanna figure out which is the problem because one day when I have to upgrade...I wanna know what to get so that it replaces the part that is holding back the other.

Also yes I wanna achieve the status of 4.0Ghz. I don't care about performance. Everyone can oc to 3.9Ghz The 4.0Ghz threshold is a whole different thing.

EDIT: HTT lowering thing didn't do anything as expected. Now, I've already accepted that it's not gonna work. All I wanna do is figure out what is causing it. Thats what the thread is about.

Edited by ballist1x