need guide/ advice regarding ati hd 5850

sunan

i m looking forward to get a hd5850. i m now using phenom 9950 be. i jz concern about whther this proc can support ati hd 5850 or will it be a bottleneck to this gc?

secondly, i m now using psu cooler master 600watt extreme power, should i upgrade to a more powerfull psu to support ati hd 5850?

thirdly, which brand is better for ati hd 5850, xfx? sapphire?

need help...(^_^)

the cpu is good , get the card and if you have the money get a better cpu latter like x3 720 or better , x2 550 will be good too ;)

as for the psu it is more than enough and the brand , if you want quality and warranty xfx is #1 ( life time ) , gigabyte and asus too but those i think about 3 years , if you want quality you have xfx , gigabyte , asus , msi , sapphire , HIS , Diamond ..

i like all of them except Diamond and msi ..good luck and welcome to occ....:)

Edited by N.E.A

with your overclock you won't hold it back that bad, you should try to clock higher though

I agree, although you should get an aftermarket cooler for it. Those Gen 1 Phenoms can run pretty hot from what I remember ( I had an 8750 BE for about 5 months ).

I agree, although you should get an aftermarket cooler for it. Those Gen 1 Phenoms can run pretty hot from what I remember ( I had an 8750 BE for about 5 months ).

better yet if his board supports it he could drop in an x2 550, x3 720 or x4 620

that the most stable clock i could get. i couldnt go higher than that. i tried 3.1, the pc couldnt start even by increasing the voltage by +100mv. so i jz stick with that clock for now.

regarding psu, i had tried hd 4870 asus DK 1gb ddr5, with this current speck but with proc athlon x2 2.9ghz (before i change to phenom 9950), the pc could start as well. so i wonder whther this current psu can run hd 5850. last night i tried to calculate my pc's power consumption using cooler master psu calculator <http://www.coolermaster.com/support/psu_calculator.php>, it said 437watt with hd 5870...is it trustful? if the wattage is only 437watt with hd 5870, why i couldnt run hd 4870 asus DK 1gb ddr5 with current psu?

my friend told me that for extreme power psu, 600watt means 480watt true pwer, is it correct? the calculation is 600 X 0.8=480...

does my board support phenom 2?? or i should update the bios or what?

anyway, thanks 4 the response guys.

Edited by sunan

that the most stable clock i could get. i couldnt go higher than that. i tried 3.1, the pc couldnt start even by increasing the voltage by +100mv. so i jz stick with that clock for now.

regarding psu, i had tried hd 4870 asus DK 1gb ddr5, with this current speck but with proc athlon x2 2.9ghz (before i change to phenom 9950), the pc could start as well. so i wonder whther this current psu can run hd 5850. last night i tried to calculate my pc's power consumption using cooler master psu calculator <http://www.coolermaster.com/support/psu_calculator.php>, it said 437watt with hd 5870...is it trustful? if the wattage is only 437watt with hd 5870, why i couldnt run hd 4870 asus DK 1gb ddr5 with current psu?

my friend told me that for extreme power psu, 600watt means 480watt true pwer, is it correct? the calculation is 600 X 0.8=480...

does my board support phenom 2?? or i should update the bios or what?

anyway, thanks 4 the response guys.

well he was calculating with the efficiency rating. but really if it's a good PSU it should be able to supply 600W of power to the components and at this peak level you'd be drawing 750W from the socket.

if so, why i coludnt run asus DK hd 4870 1gb ddr5? this gc's minimun power rquirement is 500watt, similar with 5850/5870. the memory also similar, 1gb ddr5.

i thnk i hv to upgrade the psu to run hd 5850, right guys???? ^_^

if so, why i coludnt run asus DK hd 4870 1gb ddr5? this gc's minimun power rquirement is 500watt, similar with 5850/5870. the memory also similar, 1gb ddr5.

i thnk i hv to upgrade the psu to run hd 5850, right guys???? ^_^

maybe you're psu isn't very high quality??

emm, after further research, i found out that my psu efficiency rating is >70%.. that's means it only can provide +420 watt at full load. i calculated my pc's pwer cnsumpation with current speck, it draw 423 watt. i thnk mu current psu jz enough to run hd 4850 512mb ddr3. :)

emm, after further research, i found out that my psu efficiency rating is >70%.. that's means it only can provide +420 watt at full load. i calculated my pc's pwer cnsumpation with current speck, it draw 423 watt. i thnk mu current psu jz enough to run hd 4850 512mb ddr3. :)

yeah you'll be fine, and if your PSU goes for whatever reason, you'll know to get a better one next time :P