Can I unlock only 1 additional core on Phenom II 550 BE?

I wanna see if I can get it to become a triple core instad of a quad but I don't know how. If it's possible it might be more stable than a quad, but be better than a dual.

huh. this is a really interesting idea. I don't know if it's possible, and I don't see why it wouldn't be. My guess though is you're going to have to play around with ACC settings for the third core while leaving the 4th alone...

Yeah but, how? I though there would simply be an option to choose 3 or 4 cores, but no such luck. I also don't know what exactly the thing with the -2% is...all I know is that it's the 4 cores. A wild guess but maybe if I enable the 4 cores, and then take one of those 4 thingys and just put it to like 0% or something...I dunno.

Because quad is useless, and unstable for most cases. Triple core might be useful, and be more stable than quad. If anyone has an idea to how to do it, share share share. :)

EDIT: Also, a quad + 3.9Ghz on air = no way in hell.

Triple + 3.9Ghz = might be possible with some work. Or if not then 3.8Ghz

Edited by ballist1x

Srlsy? No one knows how? Also from what I'm reading online it seems that ACC as a whole is a mystery, and except unlocking the 2 or 1 extra core...no one else knows anymore. There must be a way to unlock only 1 core out of 2 locked...it'd be so cool. It's like AMD doesn't even know what it does lol.

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong about the %. Negative values unlocks lower power operations while higher values unlocks better overclocking. Though unless I unlock the 2 extra cores I don't think that I can change the values, as they are all shaded. What I think they did is that the ACC is for quad cores, as when enabled it doesn't unlock more cores...but it allows you to adjust the %. Allowing for better overclocking although I don't exactly know at what price. In x2 and x3 cpus cases, It seems that the only way is to unlock the cores and hope they are not broken so u can take advanteg of this thing. So basically...all the guides showing how to unlock the 2 extra cores bla bla bla, is only half of the full potential of the ACC options.

Edited by ballist1x

Ok after some experimenting this is what I have:

It seems I can infact make it a tri core cpu, but when posting it shows that it's a x4, then in cpuz it shows 3 cores. So it doesn't really become a tricore cpu. When I made the test, the name changed to an Athlon II...something I forgot. It would bsod quickly no matter what I do so I think that my 2 extra cores are both defective.

The way to make it a tri or quad core: MOBO DFI m3h5.

In the CPU features, you enable ACC...to either auto or whatever. Then "AMD Family 10h Down core" will give you 4 some new options to chose from: Auto, Single core, Dual core, Tri Core, Quad core. Depending on what you chose it will change accordingly but will show that it's a B50 quad, but in cpuz it will be whatever u chose it to be.

Now that I know this won't work for me (although I was hoping for so much) I will check out the % stuff and the CPU stepping which are supposed to improve overclocking. My current settings are: ACC: Per core , AMD Family 10h Down core: Dual Core. Lets see if this thing will do something for me. :P

EDIT: I'm sorry to say that 3.9ghz is all this cpu can achieve...nothing can make it boot on 4.0ghz and thats that. The best I could probably do is up the nb frq a little and tighten ram clocks a little and thats it.

Edited by ballist1x

• 1 month later...

Its a Bios based answer.

But yes.

MSI High end-Asrock have a Core switch in the bios..

I found more likey to get a stable X 3 than a stable X 4 when using the 785G from MSI I just disable core 3 (0/1/2/3) and she boots no problem. even OC upto 3.6 without volt changes heat isnt much an issue with a good cooler.

Sure scratching my head on this one. :huh: 3 cores? My experience. Am running 4 cores at 3.8GHz at stock voltage on air on my 955BE. I know that with a little patience I can get to 3.9GHz on air with a little kick in voltage and clock. The tuning trick? I use the AMD Overdrive utility set at adding 1MHz at a time. Takes as much time as it needs. Was about 30 min to get to 3.8GHz. It could run for hours depending on your MB, memory, etc, etc. My only issue is I need more power. My old SeaSonic 550W just isn't cutting it. Looking for an 850W now.

Update: have cut back to 3.4GHz until my new PS arrives Monday. Have added a new video card and OC'd the memory.... kept tripping the PS. Since I need the box until Monday, have backed off. The minute the supply is up and running, I'll let AMD Overdrive do its magic and see how far she'll take me.

Edited by olafvi