Ram making funny noise

Noisy Ram

Has this happened to anyone before or is it something I am doing wrong.

I have an ASUS P6TD Deluxe board and was running 6GB of Ram (Corsair Dominator) After I installed an extra 6GB of ram each time the ram is accessed by the system you hear a very high pitched squeak. This is especially noticable when running Prime95 - constant squeak, and when running memtest each time a calculation is done you hear a squeak. Begins to sound like you are attached to a monitor when memtest is running. I have to say the squeak is getting really annoying but no errors have been found.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I've never heard of 'noisy ram'. You're probably hearing a capacitor squeal. As waco has suggested, it's probably the PSU. Isolate and test that for the noise you're hearing.

EDIT: If the sound is indeed coming from the PSU, don't worry! It's not going to collapse and die, though chances are the unit is under strain.

Edited by MasterRex862

Very odd problem you have there. you might try finding the offending component by holding something like a plastic drinking straw or some kind of non-conductive rod to each stick of memory and to your ear and listen for the squeek to increase in volume. If all the sticks have about the volume of squeek, do the same to the the other components on your board, eventually you shoud find the source. I would suspect that it's thermal expansion between a heatsink and component, or socket and card. If you do find it to be a stick of memory, try reseating it and see if the noise goes away, if not, try swapping the stick to another slot and see if the noise moves with the stick or stays with that slot. That should tell you if the noise is from the slot on your motherboard or pecular to a stick of memory.

Well it is now happening with just 3 sitcks of RAM

So I suspect it is the Motherboard - RMA'ing it today

Why would you RMA it?

My old nForce 2 board would scream anytime the CPU was under load. My 2900XT used to scream whenever I ran a game with antialiasing on.

It's nothing to worry about...

Why would you RMA it?

Some motherboards have loads of coil whine under load, while others have no audible noise at all... I'm talking about the same model of motherboard here.

For my five EVGA 680i motherboards, one was really loud and annoying, one was kinda loud, two were pretty subtle and barely noticeable, and one was pretty much silent

The noise is really annoying, as the system is watercooled you can here every little noise (HD's being the loudest) The board really should not make any sound, under stress or no stress

I had this with my Old Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, it was fine but when i stuck an extra 2 gigs of ram in, it wouldnt stop whining it was the most annoying thing! i couldnt bare it any longer so i dumped that pc, and kept the water cooling kit i was using on it for my Asrock Alivedual-Vsta - thats the 1st and Last time ill ever Buy an Asrock motherboard because THAT motherboard lasted more or less 2 weeks <_<

Edited by SenitaL