too many hard drives?

stueck9356

Okay this might sound funny but I have been pondering it for a while. I have 3 150gig velociraptors in RAID-0 and 2 1TB caviar blacks (stand-alone).

Since my raptors are in RAID-0, and there are 3 of them, could they stressing my on board RAID chip? The reasoning behind this is that I play ArmA2 and the textures stream from the hard drive, and there are a but load of them (I read somewhere that arma streams average at 30 IOPS and 2.9mbps... random reading too :glare:). I know some people with a single 640gb caviar black with no texture loading problems at all.

I was wondering if having 3 of these things constantly streaming could actually hinder their performance, possibly having to wait on the raid chip before streaming the data.

This is a shot in the dark so please excuse me if there is a simple explanation or 'just because'. Thanks in advance.

raid 0 is nice just not great for gaming look into drives that give great burst results.

Not entirely true. Raid-0 does aid in gaming when it comes to load times. I haven't played ARMA2, so I can't speak directly to that game though, but I doubt it makes much of a difference. That'd be more affected by your GPU and RAM. You'll only really see performance gains with Raid-0 when dealing with large files. Reading two 2KB files compared to one 4KB file isn't going to be noticeable, but reading two 100MB files compared to one 200MB file will.

Not entirely true. Raid-0 does aid in gaming when it comes to load times. I haven't played ARMA2, so I can't speak directly to that game though, but I doubt it makes much of a difference. That'd be more affected by your GPU and RAM. You'll only really see performance gains with Raid-0 when dealing with large files. Reading two 2KB files compared to one 4KB file isn't going to be noticeable, but reading two 100MB files compared to one 200MB file will.

Well arma streams a lot of files, basically all of the scenery, and so the files range from 2MB for the smallest up to 1.12gb for the largest (entire folder is 8.26GB), most of them are around 300-500MB a piece, and it will stream certain items from these files consistently. So if there is a red building, a M16, and a few shrubs behind you and you turn around, it will have to load and search through the certain files for the model and textures instantly, and it will unload textures after a certain amount of time they are not drawn - that's what I got from reading some of the stuff.

Edited by Snugg