Power Supply Unit Brand Question

Hi guys. I was thinking about getting this power supply:

http://www.starsurplus.com/viewitem.lasso?i=AK850

but I can't find anything about it, or the company that manufactures it. I haven't heard of this brand before, so I'm asking you is it good or not?

It has one year warranty but I don't know...

I also didn't saw any PFC or OVP or UVP or OTP or etc.

My current PSU is GEMBIRD 600W Real Power (or at least it says...) it has PFC (not APFC) and it has 22A at each +12V rail (it has two +12 rails). I'm planning on swapping my Video Card in a week or two. I have 9600 GT and I want a GTX 285 and I'm not sure if my current PSU will handle it. If it does then everyone's happy, if it doesn't then I'll consider your opinions about the PSU I'm asking about.

So what do you think?

P.S. And I do know what brand to choose when it comes to PSUs, but believe me you don't want to know how expensive the other brands are here.

P.S.2. And I can't wait for the GT300 series because they'll be at least three months late here, and they will be over overpriced. So...I'll just get the GTX 285 and be happy.

Hi guys. I was thinking about getting this power supply:

http://www.starsurplus.com/viewitem.lasso?i=AK850

From an overclock.net similar question

"hi

bought this in june 2009 -

installed it around july 2009

mobo - msi eclipse sli + intel i7 + 6gb ram + ati 4870 512mb + 1 tb hdd + 1dvd + 1 domino alc cpu water cooler + 2 case fans = SPARKS, BURNED SMELL AND ONE HUGE HEARTACHE HOPING THE SYSTEM WASN'T TOAST

system is fine powr supply makes more sparks than a 4th of july fireworks parade -

trying to contact to get rma -no luck so far"

it only has 2 pci-e connectors even though it is a 850W... that isnt a very good sign, I think mine has like 6 (edit: mine has 6 8pin connectors and it can fuel them all). It is too cheap to be good, the company is impossible to find on the internet too unless they are athena power in which case it is without a doubt awful. If you can't get a good brand look for something which is 80 plus, has APFC and has a single rail and then you'll probably see pretty decent power supplies.

Edit: V better than guessing

Edited by xchrissypoox

Always remember that the PSU is one of the most important parts in a computer system.

It's common seeing people spending a bunch dollars in a system and only some bucks on the power supply which is totally wrong.

Hey, I'm sorry everyone that was a bad link, here's a new one: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AK850

So this won't be good huh? :( that's what I tought so.

@ScapeGoat: Yes, I know that too, and I also think that people often overlook the PSU like it's not important and they're wrong, me being an electrician I know that...I would like to buy the Ultra X4 1600W but it's not available here. Nothing really is available here, only a buch of cheap chinese computer parts which are more expensive than quality components, but what can I do... :( and I can't buy anything off ebay because macedonia is not on the paypal list and even if I pay with other method the crazy country in which I currently reside (macedonia) will tax me 100% of the product price or more (and yes, it's true). Here's a quick example: my father imported 1998 Opel Corsa 1.0L from Germany, he bought it 700 euros there and he paid tax and customs and all that $**t additional 2.000 euros and + 200 euros for plates and registration and the car was 3.000 euros for him, which had original price of 700 euros. Do you get the picture?

So should I buy this product or I shouldn't buy it at any cost and wait for two years and buy Ultra X4 power supply? (And please don't tell me that I don't need 1600W, I need even more :) just kidding, but I don't have a chance to buy PC components everyday)

Edited by IlijaPlayerP

I personally wouldn't buy it at any price, $49.99 for a 850W power supply just isn't right! It's no doubt a low quality generic and the lack of any real performance information on the internet just confirms it. It may last for years, who knows, but is it worth the risk?

How much will it cost in Macedonia?

Cheers

Paul

I personally wouldn't buy it at any price, $49.99 for a 850W power supply just isn't right! It's no doubt a low quality generic and the lack of any real performance information on the internet just confirms it. It may last for years, who knows, but is it worth the risk?

How much will it cost in Macedonia?

Cheers

Paul

Well...then I just won't buy it, seems like low quality product to me too. In macedonia is $105 :(

GTX 285 wants 40A at each 6-pin connector or 20A at each?

If it needs 20A at each then I can power it, my PSU can put out 22A at each +12 rail, so there will be no problem I guess. I don't have 6-pin connector, I'll use Molex to 6-pin adapters. If it doesn't work I'll have to stick with my 9600 GT or use two power supplies. I don't know Paul :|

Edited by IlijaPlayerP

If you knew that your PSU's ratings were accurate, you could run a gtx285 with that. But I think you recognize that it could be awfully mislabeled. Just for an example if you find something with reliable ratings, I tested my system with a watt meter and it drew ~225W at full load from the wall so less than 200W after adjusting for efficiency. You definitely don't need 1600W.

Here is another list of PSU's. Hopefully you can find something in the top few tiers without having to import. Good Luck!

Another PSU Recommendation list