Seagate or WD

joel.monteiro

From the past 5 years im using seagate and i was having no problem with the HDD that i bought 5 years ago 80 Gb 7200.7 , a year back i bought 500GB 7200.11 which jusy crashed after 5 months . After that i gave it for warranty and they gave me a new 500GB 7200.12 ,4 months have passed , even this HDD is giving me problems like sometimes windows tell me ur hard disk is goin to crash , when i reboot it doesnt detect sometimes , So im plannin to buy a 1TB HDD but i dont wanna go back to seagate so i was thinking of buying a WD 1TB HDD , im into gamming n stuff ,i was hoping for some advice for which model of the WD 1TBs should i buy?

Plz help :thumbs-up:

From the past 5 years im using seagate and i was having no problem with the HDD that i bought 5 years ago 80 Gb 7200.7 , a year back i bought 500GB 7200.11 which jusy crashed after 5 months . After that i gave it for warranty and they gave me a new 500GB 7200.12 ,4 months have passed , even this HDD is giving me problems like sometimes windows tell me ur hard disk is goin to crash , when i reboot it doesnt detect sometimes , So im plannin to buy a 1TB HDD but i dont wanna go back to seagate so i was thinking of buying a WD 1TB HDD , im into gamming n stuff ,i was hoping for some advice for which model of the WD 1TBs should i buy?

Plz help :thumbs-up:

The Western Digital Blacks are nice, are you sure you just didn't get two bad drives?? My 7200.11 1TB died (but they were plagued with a known firmware issue, and it was my fault for not installing the new firmware from the start), but my 7200.11 1.5TB works great and my dad's 500GB 7200.12 is amazing. Don't give up on Seagate yet, they generally offer an equally good hard drive for less. Hitachi's are good too

I would go WD 100%. I have gone through 2 externals from seagate and this one only becomes detected maybe half the time, only after I had to reformat it again and lose 200 cd's and movies. I wish they would just give me my money back for it so I can get another internal one for the desktop. On and to RMA the last 2 I had to pay 15 in shipping, both times. If I decide to return this one, the letter won't be as nice as before.

If you get a Seagate 7200.12 your good. My first 1.5TB was crapping out on me and I sent it in for a RMA. The replacement works like charm. I fill it up nearly to 100GB left then delete some more files and defrag.

So I would say its safe to go either WD or Seagate, depending on price and performance.

Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA 7200.12 SATA 3Gbs or WD Caviar Green 1 TB WD10EADS which one should i buy because seagate is cheaper than the wd buy just 1 to 2 dollars

cheaper is cheaper ;). not to mention the seagate is faster. Are the warranties identical??

Just get the one that has the longer warranty. If they're both the same, then get whichever one is cheaper. They're all essentially the same, quality wise.

While that advice is good, if you're like me and had to ship in 5 of your last 7 Seagate HDDs You start to add shipping to Seagate costs to the prices on newegg.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't figured it out yet because my last order had a 320GB WD Blue and a 1TB Seagate 7200.12, but it's just a thought.

EDIT: Also do NOT get the <7200 rpm drives for primary system HDDs unless it's for something like a media center PC where noise/power consumption are bigger concerns. YOU WILL be disappointed...well that it unless you don't have any other newer HDDs to compare it too.

Edited by cchalogamer

I guess I've been lucky, I've never had a drive fail on me (knocks on wood). Only time I had to RMA a drive was one of my Raptors when I ripped the SATA connector out by accident :P