In my case it might be alot... though mine could just be a fluke I can't push more than 3.65gHz without the system not posting and I have tried everything... I'm not close to any thermal limits or anything it just won't do it.... funny how it does do an extremely unstable 4gHz which I cannot make stable. Btw its C0. Thinking of selling it off and buying a D0.

Stepping for a processor is an update, more or less. They change things

Like a C0/C1 processor is an earlier version of a D0 stepping. In the case of the C0/C1 to D0 with the i7 920, you can overclock the D0 more then you can the C0/C1, I know my voltage is higher on my C0/C1 @ 3.5gzh

then my D0 @ 3.5gzh.

I currently have a C0 stepping Core i7, and I am planning to use the Prolimatech Megahalems. Even with that beast of a cooler, does that mean that I won't be able to go much over 3.6 GHz, if even possible?

I currently have a C0 stepping Core i7, and I am planning to use the Prolimatech Megahalems. Even with that beast of a cooler, does that mean that I won't be able to go much over 3.6 GHz, if even possible?

It varies from chip to chip, but 3.6 GHz shouldn't be a problem. Probably 3.8-4 GHz for a 24/7 overclock

They are really very similar but the DO is the newest revision. At stock speeds there is no difference. In the case of the DO I have it runs much cooler than the CO stepping chips I have plus it can hit 4.1 prime stable on air with temps in the mid 60's My CO's need water to get to 4.1 as they run significantly hotter