Can't use a 5870 so give me some suggestions

asus

:O Lies?! I kid you not IVI, infact i was very happy with my 4870x2 untill it blew, and i was hoping they would replace it with another, but then i heard that its discontinued, and the 5870 had been out for just about 2 weeks, so supply was very limited but i made a few phone calls (expressing my concerns) and after about 3 weeks (yeah i know.. <_<) i got word that id be receiving a 5870 as a replacement :)

did you get a free upgrade coupon for a 5970 since the 5870 doesn't always perform on the 4870x2's level?? :rolleyes: haha, but that's awesome. I'm using you as an example if anybody ever rags on PowerColor.

How much bigger is the 5870??

and to asus's dismay, I bet your 5870 is running great :P

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had problems with 2 ATI 5870's so I am going to head over to nvidia again. Please advise me with a comparable solution "nvidia style". Im looking to spend around 400 -425. Thanks

What problems were you having?

did you get a free upgrade coupon for a 5970 since the 5870 doesn't always perform on the 4870x2's level?? :rolleyes: haha, but that's awesome. I'm using you as an example if anybody ever rags on PowerColor.

How much bigger is the 5870??

and to asus's dismay, I bet your 5870 is running great :P

You just had to puncture my bubble didnt you? a 5970, yeah.. sure i did :lol: Actually after some thought on the matter i wasn't bothered what i got out of the 2, because sometimes the 4870x2 outperformd the 5870 but in most cases the 5870 just blitzed it, either way i won because both cards kick butt! :P

As for the length, id say its a CM or 2 Longer then a 4870x2, so its Huuuuuuuuge to say the least :lol: (why they can't just make the cards Wider instead of longer i dont know) :smack:

Edited by SenitaL

You just had to puncture my bubble didnt you? a 5970, yeah.. sure i did :lol: Actually after some thought on the matter i wasn't bothered what i got out of the 2, because sometimes the 4870x2 outperformd the 5870 but in most cases the 5870 just blitzed it, either way i won because both cards kick butt! :P

As for the length, id say its a CM or 2 Longer then a 4870x2, so its Huuuuuuuuge to say the least :lol: (why they can't just make the cards Wider instead of longer i dont know) :smack:

If you made them wider they might put too much pressure on the slot and may snap that portion that interfaces with the motherboard.

I want the 5870 for the efficiency, I wonder which would win once the drivers are mature and the card can overclock better vs. the 4870x2 with the lucid chip behind it. now THAT would be an interesting review

Edited by IVIYTH0S

If you made them wider they might put too much pressure on the slot and may snap that portion that interfaces with the motherboard.

I want the 5870 for the efficiency, I wonder which would win once the drivers are mature and the card can overclock better vs. the 4870x2 with the lucid chip behind it. now THAT would be an interesting review

But on the plus side, the power connectors are on the Side instead of right at the end, so that will probably give you an inch or so more space to work with ;)

Id guess the 5870 would perform better, since the 4870x2 has had plenty of time to mature its drivers by now, while the 5870 has not ;)

Edited by SenitaL

I thought this too but he said with an Nvidia card there are no artifacts, so im stumped.. Perhaps it IS the Monitor im not sure :unsure:

It could just be finicky though. I've seen monitors do similar things before with certain cards but not others (especially over DVI/HDMI).

I run a Mac Pro with an 8800GT.. No problems on my monitor.. This is the monitor I have.. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=222-7175

I have no idea what the problem could be. I was thinking about buying another 5870 but it would be hard to bring myself to shell out another 400 bucks and maybe get something that works. That would be weird to be my monitor. But ya never know.. I tried a different DVI-D cable. I have nothing that takes HDMI unfortunately.