8 core processors

I was looking here on wiki and i see a graph that only has the eight core listed for mp server? I also read this:

"Beckton is a Nehalem-based processor with eight cores and uses buffering inside the chipset to support up to 16 standard DDR3 DIMMS per CPU package without requiring the use of FB-DIMMS.[20] It has four (or more?) QuickPath interfaces, so it can be used in at least quad-package configurations. Designed by the Digital Enterprise Group (DEG) Santa Clara and Hudson Design Teams, Beckton will be manufactured on the P1266 (45 nm) technology. It is expected to be launched in Q1 2010.[21] Beckton is also referred to as Nehalem-EX (EXpandable server market)."

Does any have more information on this cpu's plans for desktop usage? I'm not interested in getting one im just looking into it. A friend of mine won't build an i7 because he wants to want for this 8 core. Im not sure if it will even work on desktops?

Thnx

All info i found from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_%28mi...or_architecture

Edited by TropicalPreist

I mean hey, If it's compatible with LGA 1366 and manufacturers just release an BIOS update, there's no reason for why not you can throw this in your desktop!

Stratch that, it's says lower on the chart Beckton/MP Server/8 (16)/LGA-1567. Guess that means your friend is gonna need a motherboard! :lol:

Edited by MJCRO

Does any have more information on this cpu's plans for desktop usage? I'm not interested in getting one im just looking into it. A friend of mine won't build an i7 because he wants to want for this 8 core. Im not sure if it will even work on desktops?

Not going to happen! Nehalem-EX is a server-only part. All we get on the desktop is 6-core Gulftown ;)

I don't know where he is getting his information from but he is still on the belief that 8 core will be available on a desktop machine. Is there any articles out on this?

well eventually yeah.

anytime soon? probably not.

I don't know where he is getting his information from but he is still on the belief that 8 core will be available on a desktop machine. Is there any articles out on this?

Well, Nehalem has 8 threads. Maybe that's what confusing him? We're not likely to see 8-core chips until 2011. AMD also has a desktop version of their hexacore Istanbul on the way to the desktop.

nelahem will get 6 real cores 12 virtual cores, isnt that enough?? lol thats more than you'll ever need unless you are running a server imo. But hey who knows. some sites already ahve some leaked numbers but ES chips usually dont perform as well as retail with newer stepping chips do.

I was looking here on wiki and i see a graph that only has the eight core listed for mp server? I also read this:

"Beckton is a Nehalem-based processor with eight cores and uses buffering inside the chipset to support up to 16 standard DDR3 DIMMS per CPU package without requiring the use of FB-DIMMS.[20] It has four (or more?) QuickPath interfaces, so it can be used in at least quad-package configurations. Designed by the Digital Enterprise Group (DEG) Santa Clara and Hudson Design Teams, Beckton will be manufactured on the P1266 (45 nm) technology. It is expected to be launched in Q1 2010.[21] Beckton is also referred to as Nehalem-EX (EXpandable server market)."

Thnx

All info i found from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_%28mi...or_architecture

i am waiting tell they have 100+ cores :unsure: