Sign in to follow this  
mdd31

1st time build, need your help!

Ok you guys have convinced me, I am going to give it a try and build my own computer!!!

I will keep this first page updated as we go to make it easier to follow along. I really need everyone's help selecting the best parts at the best price.

Goals...

Price Range...stay under $1500 including Monitor, less expensive is great but I know quality does cost some money!

Primary Use...gaming PC

Cooling System: Air cooled

Overclocking: YES

Life expectancy...last 2-3 years before it begins to have trouble running games at optimal levels

Chipset...Intel I7 (unless a great case can be made for another option)

THE BUILD

Case:

Cooling System:

Power Supply:

Motherboard:

CPU:

Memory:

Hard Drive:

Video Card(s):

Monitor:

Dvd burner/player:

Sound Card:

Internet Card:

Additional Accessories:

If you see a category I missed just let me know and I will add it. What I am looking for are specific suggestions on parts and where to obtain the parts. Is it ok to buy and store parts or should I try to get all of the parts at the same time?

Thanks in advance, I will post pictures as things proceed!!

Well, the first thing we really have to decide on is platform (Intel vs. AMD).

The only thing you have to know is that while Intel's line of processors do better number crunching in programs, Intel and AMD processors are equivalent in gaming.

I'd recommend an AMD system to save money just so you can get better parts (such as a video card) that will actually show a difference.

Edited by tkrow21

Well, the first thing we really have to decide on is platform (Intel vs. AMD).

The only thing you have to know is that while Intel's line of processors do better number crunching in programs, Intel and AMD processors are equivalent in gaming.

I'd recommend an AMD system to save money just so you can get better parts (such as a video card) that will actually show a difference.

though at $1500 he won't have to cut corners with an intel build, though i don't see an i7 as a necessity. an i5 system would be recommended

My original thought was Intel because I am more familiar with it but perhaps AMD is worth considering especially if it gets me more for the money so to speak. If I go Intel then 5 or 7 is fine especially if I can overclock the 5 to get me close to the 7 although the cost difference didn't seem to be massive.

I suggested the $1500 cap but if we can get this bad boy done for $1000 then I won't be complaining! More money left over to buy the games!!!

though at $1500 he won't have to cut corners with an intel build, though i don't see an i7 as a necessity. an i5 system would be recommended

this is true... i5 750 or PII 955, i say

I'm going to lean towards AMD on this one as AMD's Black Edition proccies are "easier" to overclock due to the unlocked multiplier. I say this because, mdd31, you said "I am going to give it a try and build my own computer!!!," so I'm assuming that this is your first time building and, perhaps, overclocking. if so, AMD's black edition CPUs will be more newb friendly when it comes to OCing. :)

build1.png

This is what I would build for $1500. Keep in mind the HD5870 is not included in the price as they're out of stock.

Now we're cooking with gas! Take a look at this monitor as well "SAMSUNG 2343BWX High density resolution" I really like it.

NewEgg for 220.00

this is true... i5 750 or PII 955, i say

I'm going to lean towards AMD on this one as AMD's Black Edition proccies are "easier" to overclock due to the unlocked multiplier. I say this because, mdd31, you said "I am going to give it a try and build my own computer!!!," so I'm assuming that this is your first time building and, perhaps, overclocking. if so, AMD's black edition CPUs will be more newb friendly when it comes to OCing. :)

Yes first time for building and overclocking. Newbie friendly is good. Been doing some more looking and the AMD is not so evil after all. I guess a person just gets used to seeing adds for Intel and assumes Intel is king. No reason to pay more for a name when all I am after is performance!

build1.png

This is what I would build for $1500. Keep in mind the HD5870 is not included in the price as they're out of stock.

Very very helpful, thank you!!

Now we're cooking with gas! Take a look at this monitor as well "SAMSUNG 2343BWX High density resolution" I really like it.

NewEgg for 220.00

I haven't checked out the monitor yet, does it handle TV input also? Is there a monitor that can display both a TV program and computer program or will that be extremely expensive?

I have a decent little 19inch LCD monitor right now, nothing special but solid for internet surfing, etc. Is it possible to get something like a vizio (or whatever brand) LCD tv and mount it on the wall and then run both TV and my computer to it? Then if I want to game I can run my computer through the "big screen" and go wireless with my controller, etc. And if I wan to watch TV while I work on the computer I can just use the smaller monitor.

Good idea or bad idea?

I have a decent little 19inch LCD monitor right now, nothing special but solid for internet surfing, etc. Is it possible to get something like a vizio (or whatever brand) LCD tv and mount it on the wall and then run both TV and my computer to it? Then if I want to game I can run my computer through the "big screen" and go wireless with my controller, etc. And if I wan to watch TV while I work on the computer I can just use the smaller monitor.

Good idea or bad idea?

Not a bad idea, you'd have to get a splitter/switch of some sort for the computer video cable though.