What case should I choose?

I recently decided to upgrade my computer, and this is what I plan to upgrade to:

CPU: Core i7-920 oc'd to ~3.6 GHz (C0 stepping)

Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems

Mobo: ASUS Rampage II GENE

PSU: Corsair TX750/HX750

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD5850

RAM: Unknown yet, will wait to see the prices around when I buy the RAM, as the prices are too unstable right now to say exactly what I'll get

Since the Rampage II GENE is a mATX board, I was hoping to find a case that was small, but with good ventilation. I narrowed my choices down to the Lian-Li PC-V351B and the NZXT Rogue. Will either of these fit the Megahalems (Height: 157 mm)? If not, could you suggest to me a nice midtower case that has good enough cooling to get me to my goal or ~3.6 GHz? This is a first for me, so any other advice regarding building the system would be appreciated.

I'm hoping to keep the price of the case to somewhere around $100-120 USD

Edited by backdraft61

lol believe it or not, im planning to upgrade to the exact same build except for the psu (and waiting for prices to drop a bit :P )... um, u should have a look at the coolermaster storm scout, or HAF 922.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129041

This is a pretty sweet matx case, I've been considering getting it for my gene. It will cool very well (as well as anything else) and holds any graphics card (you may have to remove the bottom hard drive bay). It is also supposed to be very quiet which is a major plus for me. It is about as big as the average mid tower (i hear).

Edited by xchrissypoox

You can do well with just two 1500-2000rpm fans in a push and pull config on that megahalems.

True, but more importantly, you can do well with the Megahalems, period. It is a beast of a cooler, be it with one fan or two. The Megahalems should hold up pretty well for a good bit on its respective platforms/sockets, IMHO. ::insert similar praise for the TRUE if you must::

Be warned I am obviously biased (see sig). Oh no, someone likes a well-designed product they happen to be using, gasp! :thumbs-up:

The NZXT Rogue has all the fans you will need. Not much required for a case like that since it's compact and air will be moving fast even with just 2 120mm fans with pull/push config. Although the NZXT Rogue has 3 fans which will be more than enough. The Lian-li has 1 so you might want to get 1 more....it's really up to you how you wanna sped your money lol but 2 fans will be enough, if you have 3, then even better. :)

As for the cooler, I think both cases will be big enough. You gotta cable manage if possible though because it will take A LOT of space. If you add 2 more fans to it as well... it's gonna be huge but it will fit. I don't have any experience with these kinds of cases so someone else should tell you for sure if it will or not.

i say : cooler master cosmos , storm , sniper , HAF922 or antec 902 , 1200 or nzxt lexa s , m59 and those two can take the 5870 with a room to spare with great features with lower price , thermal take element ...

in the end pick the one the one that fills your needs , within your budget , attracts you most ..after all cases are personal choice ;)

good luck ..:) nice build btw

Thanks for the input on the megahalems, but what I was really wondering was about how many and how big should the fans be on the case, not the Megahalems. Although that's good information to have. ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129041 cool case and if you take out the bottom hard drive cage you can fit any graphics card.

I would put scythe gentle typhoons (1850rpm) into the case, or any fan over 1600 rpm, but the case I linked above comes with antec tricools and those are pretty decent fans so I would just leave them as is, they even have switches on the back of the case with the fans individual speed settings.

Thanks for the input on the megahalems, but what I was really wondering was about how many and how big should the fans be on the case, not the Megahalems. Although that's good information to have. ;)

As far as I'm concerned it's not how big or small the fans are but how powerful they are, how they are placed throughout the case (blowing in or out) and what amount of air they can efficiently move through the case that you choose... you also have to take into account what noise level you can tolerate when considering your choice of fans... trial and error is usually the best way to determine what works best for you...

Hope this helps.