Why doesn't anyone know or use DFI?

I still have a FX-60 equipped NF4 eXpert board running (g/friend's daughter uses it with a GTX 260) and it runs like a trooper. EVA2000, phrozin and others speak highly of the X58 junior board so they can't be all that bad.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What could cause a capacitor to blow up? I read a little to understand the capacitors and I think what they do is "filter" the electricity so that it's smoother... when moving through out the motherboard and the components...I guess. Seems like solid caps are a big deal meaning that blowing up a cap is something that happens often. So what would cause 1 or 2 or whatever to blow up?

Yes, they filter electric signals, thanks to some clever formulas! Poor quality capacitors have a relatively short lifespan and are more prone to die due to heat. Unless it is connected backwards, it can't really blow up, it'll just leak.

Solid state caps pretty much fix this

Are capacitors used for voltmoding or was it custom made jumpers attached to the part?

They use variable resistors for voltmodding ;)

Capacitors "simply" act as filters.

I'm running a DFI board. I wasn't aware of the company problems until reading this thread, but I have been out of the game for a while. I'll probably not be buying a DFI next time, although I have had great experience with them - simply because I never see their name at the top of any review lists at all anymore! :(

I eagerly await their return (if it ever happens!)

Yes, they filter electric signals, thanks to some clever formulas! Poor quality capacitors have a relatively short lifespan and are more prone to die due to heat. Unless it is connected backwards, it can't really blow up, it'll just leak.

Solid state caps pretty much fix this

I had 2 solids explode on a 9600GT

I'm running a DFI board. I wasn't aware of the company problems until reading this thread, but I have been out of the game for a while. I'll probably not be buying a DFI next time, although I have had great experience with them - simply because I never see their name at the top of any review lists at all anymore! :(

I eagerly await their return (if it ever happens!)

Yup I didn't know as well. I kinda thought they were like this uber pro brand, but it was like "hidden" or something..it's hard to put it in words but anyway. I think they are great and they should put on they're man pants on, and make some more awesome boards.

If I had to buy another board or change this one for whatever reason (I hope I don't any time soon), I'm not sure what I'll buy. I don't like some of the other brands for a hand full of reasons which I won't wright now, but if I go with DFI...it's gonna be hard to choose unless I want the same board because as you said DFI board reviews are almost nowhere to be found.

Yeah the thing I dislike about most boards nowadays is they look like someone killed a clown on them. Green Yellow Orange Red and Blue all on the same board. I would like to see a company make a motherboard that has all black pc board with red and white colored slots, no more of this rainbow bull crap.

Honestly, I am looking to use a DFI board for my next build. I really miss the bios tweaking process on getting ram/cpu overclock. In the past, I build systems just to have fun with it and tweak it to the max, even volt modded some boards. This past 18 months I decided to just play games with the last system I built after getting the max overclock. If you have not done so, check out the DFI board forum, they have some of the most complete lists and how to's for the DFI boards, even settings for particular rams to use with the boards. I been thinking of building around a PII 955 BE.