Why doesn't anyone know or use DFI?

I was looking at buying the Blood Iron and I still run a modded DFI Ultra-D. I really like the DFI board Ive got, werent records set with their NF4 boards? Plenty of people know about them, they had their time to shine.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 939 days all but two of the boards that i used in my personal rigs were DFI (One was a cheapy Gigabyte AGP board that was awesome for the $$ and the other outcast still lives in my server with a screwy layout but has been rock solid) When everyone started making the jump to the Core 2 Duo "way back when" (like it's been that long :lol:) DFI became so sluggish in releasing product that I just didnt care when I could get a great board elsewhere (and turns out for a hell of a lot less most of the time).

I personally consider ASUS bc they do make some great stuff (though I've had 90% horrid RMA luck with them and seen far too many of their boards die), Gigabyte bc they have NEVER let me down...Oddly enough I've never needed to RMA a Gigabyte board, lucky me, EVGA for the awesome service and usually solid product (at least MY 680i's still kicking...), DFI I can't say i actively search for their product these days, I just don't care. Hell I'm more interested in what Biostar's making in the budget range than DFI...sad isn't it.

I will never buy a Bio****(that one managed to slip past the swear filter) motherboard ever again. I had a socket a Biostar M7NCD-Pro it worked fine but had major bios issues, I couldn't flash the last bios for that board without the system crashing when trying to boot windows, when you unplugged the power from the wall the bios setting reset no matter how many times you changed the battery and their tech support is pretty much non existent I ended up tossing it in the trash in favor of my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, that board is still alive and kicking in my friends rig.

Edited by slick2500

I run a DFI board in my main rig. I like having a BIOS that is not only comprehensive but properly designed and clearly labeled.

My next rig will most likely have a DFI board (and the system I just built for my roommate has a DFI board as well).

I miss my old nForce 2 DFI Ultra Infinity though...best board I ever owned.

Edited by Waco

the thing about DFI boards is that they are Enthusiast boards...meant for the Elite clockers...

they gained alot of glory in the 939 days due to managing to get the highest clocks but the fame wore off when they were killing boards left and right and also boards with a tighter bios could get the same performance at a lower clock speed...

I had 4 SLI-DR boards and 2 SLI-D boards and 4 of them kept getting sent for RMA...the 2 that worked great could easily get 360 mhz clock speeds and easily boot at 3400mhz with the right cpu...I still have the Patriot XBLK that booted at 360mhz from the rated 200mhz it was stock...sweet ram

then it got whipped by an Asus mATX board running a 250 bus speed and the DFI SLI-DR had to run 300 bus speed to keep up with it..sad I know...

Newer board arent over hyped like the 939s were and some run pretty straight up...Praz knows alot about DFI stuff...he's the main goto guy...

EDIT: I had several DFI NF2 LP-B boards as well that ran 2600 mobiles in...sweet boards...

I've got a little question which I think can be answered here, and shouldn't make a whole new thread for it, so here goes:

What could cause a capacitor to blow up? I read a little to understand the capacitors and I think what they do is "filter" the electricity so that it's smoother... when moving through out the motherboard and the components...I guess. Seems like solid caps are a big deal meaning that blowing up a cap is something that happens often. So what would cause 1 or 2 or whatever to blow up?

Like Baulten said, DFI used to be the best around the time of AMD's socket 939. I talked to DFI reps at Computex and they said there were some management or engineering issues that resulted in them essentially dropping the ball when it came to future boards. Unfortunately, once you lose your rep, it takes a while to earn it back.

I heard that one too, however I have a DFI Lanparty JR 790GX-M2RS, which is a superb board! They are the only ones that realise there is an enthusiast mATX market :)

I haven't heard anything good about DFI in a few years.

Personally, I have never had any problems with any ASUS board. That is why I continue to buy their products. I still have quite a few working P4 boards from ASUS including the old 850E that used RAMBUS.

If you have no problems with them then buy them. It's all a matter of preference.

My DFI DAFG 939 socket mobo was my favorite board I ever used. Great little board.

I came from DFI-Street forum, then it became DIY-Street because the owner of the DFI-Street criticized DFI boards, for very great valid reasons. At the same time Gigabyte and Abit came along and made great boards comparable to or even better than the DFI boards at lower prices.

That in a nutshell started DFI's regression. When DFI hit their pinnacle, they stopped listening to what their consumers wanted (reminds me of the Intel in the Pentium 4 days), and DFI would lash out at those that didn't see it their way.