Increasing PCIE Frequency

sack_patrol

I read that if increased it could lead to better performance, though I am not too sure how it works and what it does to gpus. Some say that going over 120 will do damage so how do I know when to stop increasing it. Also what changes will it lead to exactly...what would I be looking for after the modified pcie frequency, and finally how do I test it....?

Thx

In my experience the only thing that changes is system stability - it gets worse! I would leave it locked at it's default frequency.

BTW we need an emoticon that looks like two pennies, then I could write

"My [two pennies emoticon]"

So if slightly increased, like say 105-110 it wouldn't help in overclocking the gpu(making it stable when overclocking)?

I read some stuff and it seems that it's really inconclusive what exactly it will do. Some get better results, some get bad, or none...some get ...well actually loose HDD's..which seems to be the only major problem with increasing the pcie frq.

I'd try this for myself and see if I'd benefit out of it, but I'm feeling lazy so I thought it'd be easier to ask someone, and depending on the answers I'll do or not do tests.

So if slightly increased, like say 105-110 it wouldn't help in overclocking the gpu(making it stable when overclocking)?

I read some stuff and it seems that it's really inconclusive what exactly it will do. Some get better results, some get bad, or none...some get ...well actually loose HDD's..which seems to be the only major problem with increasing the pcie frq.

I'd try this for myself and see if I'd benefit out of it, but I'm feeling lazy so I thought it'd be easier to ask someone, and depending on the answers I'll do or not do tests.

no because you'd need a graphics card that is taking up more bandwidth than the pci-e is supplying, of which none exist right now

no because you'd need a graphics card that is taking up more bandwidth than the pci-e is supplying, of which none exist right now

It cuts latencies as well, but you're essentially right; it won't make a difference.

Alright. So is there any other way to increase gpu performance except the direct overclock (which seems to give me screen flickers on the clock that I wanted...any lower and I'm not sure that a: it'd work, b: is worth it.)

Edited by ballist1x

Can you elaborate? What were the conditions? In which circumstance? etc.

Well I bought the GD70 right after the 720BE came came out. I was putting it through it's paces and seeing how far I could push the system I had set up. It was topped off with 4gb of Corsair Dominators and 4 XFX 4850's. I actually had all 4 slots set to 110mhz and it ran pretty good. I didn't see any real difference so I decided to push it a little more. The 720 was thumping at 3.7ghz on 3 cores with 1.48v on the processor and 1.35v on the NB. I was also using AMD Overdrive so I could see where I needed to set the bios on successful runs at each OC. It did fine with AMD overdrive setting the PCI-Exp. slots at 115mhz so I went into the bios and set it at 115 mhz too. Rebooted, tested and liked what I was seeing so knowing that past 120mhz would fry stuff I decided to push it to 117mhz. It ran for a few minutes on the OCCT video stress test and the screen went black. When I rebooted, the video card in slot 1 was not recognized and no video signal from there as well. I pulled it out, moved it to slot 4 and put slot 4's card in slot one and it fired up. When I got into windows the 4th video card was running at 4x when the slot lets it run at 8x with all 4 populated. and the rest was running at 8x too. I moved it around into different slots and got the same results but it would not send a video signal in slot 1 to save it's life. Lesson learned here, don't mess with that setting.