Newer Nvidia Drivers Limiting my Resolution

Nadger

EDIT: I found a solution to this problem, check my post on page 2 for the fix.

I am currently forced to run nvidia driver version 186. If I install 191 or 195 it kicks my monitor resolution from 1920x1200 down to 1024x768 and it wont let me turn it any higher.

I read something about the newer nvidia drivers detect what your monitor can do differently and does not use the EDID programmed into your monitor, so you have to override it somehow but that sounds stupid.

I have tried the Windows Update version of the nvidia drivers and those do not work either.

I uninstalled and told it to delete the drivers it was using, then rebooted into safe mode and running both driver sweeper and driver cleaner and telling them to clear out all nvidia drivers, unplugging the computer from the internet, rebooting back into windows 7 normal with a standard vga driver (running at 1920x1200) then installing the latest drivers again that way. During the setup, the monitor goes black for a second like it always does when you update, but when it comes back on its at 1024x768. It then finishes its install, i reboot and its still at 1024x768. If i try to turn the resolution higher, it will, but only to 1280x768 or something like that.

If i go into the nvidia control panel i can add a custom resolution of 1920x1080 and that will work but 1920x1200 fails the test.

So I uninstalled all the drivers again and cleaned them all out, and reinstalled the 186 drivers and everything works fine again.

what the heck is going on?

Does it think my monitor is a TV? How do i fix this?

Edited by Nadger

uninstall the driver reboot and delete teh nvidia folder then reboot again and add the new driver...I am on the 191.** driver on the gtx275 and I have no issues...

I have done that...I think the new nvidia drivers do not like my monitor

It is a Doublesight 26" (DS-263N)

It also identifys my monitor as a non plug and play generic monitor after i install the new drivers. I can give it the exact monitor drivers afterwards but it does not help.

what are you using to change your resolution? windows? nvidia control panel? have you tried using a third party program like rivatuner?

nvidia control panel. No i have not tried riva tuner yet. But it should be reading the resolutions from the monitor, i shouldnt have to manually add any.

i've downgraded drivers many times and stayed with them for certain reasons from nvidia before. try forcing it in rivatuner..

looks like last morning they released a new beta for the 195 drivers, with apparently over 200 bug fixes, so unless u jsut downloaded it last night i would sggest giving what dr bowtie said for cleaning it up and try those drivers

"Includes over 200 bug fixes. Refer to the release notes on the documentation tab for information about the key bug fixes in this release."

hello........ Click me!

I just went through all of that step by step and still i cant get it to detect the resolutions my monitor is capable of. Currently running at 1920x1080 after i added the resolution in nvidia control panel.

i've downgraded drivers many times and stayed with them for certain reasons from nvidia before. try forcing it in rivatuner..

looks like last morning they released a new beta for the 195 drivers, with apparently over 200 bug fixes, so unless u jsut downloaded it last night i would sggest giving what dr bowtie said for cleaning it up and try those drivers

"Includes over 200 bug fixes. Refer to the release notes on the documentation tab for information about the key bug fixes in this release."

Rivatuner wont install correctly cause windows 7 beta build 7100 does not allow unsigned drivers. Which blocks rivatuner64.sys

And yeah i have the version they just released installed right now after a full and complete diver purge and it still does not detect my monitors capabilities.

I never had the issue in 7100 or 7232 of Win7....

I think you're right maybe the driver doesnt recognize the monitor correctly...there isnt really any reason to upgrade teh driver so you may think about staying with the older driver

maybe a beta issue

Yeah, It could be. I will be buying windows 7 soon, guess i can try again after ive reformatted with windows 7 retail.

why not bump up to build 7201?? I can send it to you if you want?

Does it require a clean install? If so then ill probably just use 186 until i buy retail.

I never had the issue in 7100 or 7232 of Win7....

I think you're right maybe the driver doesnt recognize the monitor correctly...there isnt really any reason to upgrade teh driver so you may think about staying with the older driver

Yeah every forum i find with people who have my exact same problem all have larger monitors...26" 28" etc, a bit more uncommon of monitors. So im thinking theres a bug in the recent nvidia drivers that causes them to be treated like a TV or does not read the EDID from the monitor itself correctly. Even when i install power strip and go to monitor options and tell it to get the info from the monitor or EDID it says it cannot communicate with the monitor through the display adapter.

Yet when i install driver version 186 and do the same thing in power strip it gets the data just fine.

I was going to hook a different monitor up to it and see if it worked then, but im getting tried of messing with it 186 drivers will work just fine for now.

To top it all off the official nvidia forums have been down for the last several days.

Im pretty convinced its the drivers hating my monitor now with everything ive tried.

Thank you all again for your help.

I also own a DS-263N and have had this problem beginning with Win7 RC and talked to EVGA and Nvidia at length regarding this issue and since Win7 was only a RC. In the end, they didn't seem to know why or care.

I, of course, knew what the results would be once I began installing Win7 Ultimate Retail the other night. Yes, 186.18 is the last working drivers for my DoubleSight/GTX 280 (x2 SLI or not, doesn't matter) combo. Yes, I too can add 1920x1080 and it does work, but looks "stretched" due to monitor scaling.

You are not alone. My next move is to call DoubleSight.

Good luck.. Will post any fix if found...