AMD DDR3 Motherboard compatible with i5 RAM??Right

Right i have absolutely no clue as to whether an Asus M4A79XTD Mobo will work with memory that is compatible with the Socket 1156 mobo's for the i5/i7's... I know that some of the memory voltages are different but im wondering if it would stop me running the i5 modules in my AMD rig?

Pls help... i'd be grateful to resolve this as i'm planning on purchasing everything when i get back off holiday :D

Yes you can use i5 memory in an AMD platform. In fact you can use pretty much all sticks available on the market on an AMD platform, however it's not the same for Intel. Nehalem requires memory voltages of maximum 1.65V for long-term use. Many sticks on the market need 1.8 - 2.2V so that's out of the question.

So if were to say that it would be fine for me to drop a 4gb kit of g.skill ripjaws running at 2000mhz into my amd motherboard, would they run without any complications at the desired speed but do so at a much lower voltage than that of other DDR3 modules on the market?

So if were to say that it would be fine for me to drop a 4gb kit of g.skill ripjaws running at 2000mhz into my amd motherboard, would they run without any complications at the desired speed but do so at a much lower voltage than that of other DDR3 modules on the market?

Yep, you got it man. It will run fine as long as you set the voltages accordingly.

Yep, you got it man. It will run fine as long as you set the voltages accordingly.

Hmmm, so i would have to set the voltages to what they would be running at on the i5 motherboard then? So it'd be from 1.5v to 1.65v then? Oh and quick question, is it possible to use the OCZ Nvidia SLI ready RAM in my AMD motherboard?

Edited by pra5286

Links to the RAMs please..

i5/i7 have issue woth high voltages.. AMD is good to run 2.0V too!! However AMDs are not likely to use the full potential of DDR3 RAMs like the 2000Mhz you wanted to use!

Links to the RAMs please..

i5/i7 have issue woth high voltages.. AMD is good to run 2.0V too!! However AMDs are not likely to use the full potential of DDR3 RAMs like the 2000Mhz you wanted to use!

The nvidia sli sticks are here http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/2162/1429/-/8...earchtype=genre

However, there is a 4gb kit of G.Skill RAM for i5 i've also been looking at, linky Granted i know the motherboard wouldnt be able to run these sticks at their full speed, however im interested in running them at the Mobo's maximum of 1800 mhz with a lower latency settings.

Edited by pra5286

Hmmm, so i would have to set the voltages to what they would be running at on the i5 motherboard then? So it'd be from 1.5v to 1.65v then? Oh and quick question, is it possible to use the OCZ Nvidia SLI ready RAM in my AMD motherboard?

Running the memory at it's recommended voltages in either setup will be fine. Undervolting them will cause system instability and over 1.65v on an i5-i7 setup will cost you your processor. And the Nvidia SLi/ATI Crossfire certified thing is just marketing. MAYBE there are a few optimizations towards running an SLi/crossfire setup with these sticks but not one that would hold you back in the performance category with your setup.

Running the memory at it's recommended voltages in either setup will be fine. Undervolting them will cause system instability and over 1.65v on an i5-i7 setup will cost you your processor. And the Nvidia SLi/ATI Crossfire certified thing is just marketing. MAYBE there are a few optimizations towards running an SLi/crossfire setup with these sticks but not one that would hold you back in the performance category with your setup.

So basically, im fine to run the sticks in the recommended voltages at the recommended speeds ( i think i'll just drop the memory speed to 1600mhz and drop the timings to CL 7 if i can get away with it :D ( still wont go over the max 1.65v for the sticks even on my AMD motherboard ) and it wouldnt matter if i bought those Nvidia sli ready ones and put them in my Asus M4A79XTD even though its not an Nvidia chipset?

So basically, im fine to run the sticks in the recommended voltages at the recommended speeds ( i think i'll just drop the memory speed to 1600mhz and drop the timings to CL 7 if i can get away with it :D ( still wont go over the max 1.65v for the sticks even on my AMD motherboard ) and it wouldnt matter if i bought those Nvidia sli ready ones and put them in my Asus M4A79XTD even though its not an Nvidia chipset?

It shouldn't matter on the memory. Memory is memory basically in a nutshell. Set the voltages manually where they need to be and see where it auto defaults at on the timings and tune from there. If your bios allows you to save multiple profiles, save the one you booted up with successfully on one slot and work it from there. So if you have to reset the bios on a failed reboot, you can revert to the first/last successful profile without having to do all of the settings all over again. That's what I do when I'm trying to setup a random mixed leftover parts computer. Some of my better systems have come from the "leftover box" in the floor of my closet. :thumbs-up: