Holy ....... 13.5 inches

N.E.A

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the 5870/5850/5770/5750 are all the same cores , but each one is smaller than its big brother

yeah that's what I don't get, I guess shortening can only occur with a reduction in the memory bus?? the 4850 and 4870 both have the same streams and all but the 4830 should be shorter you'd think since they lowered the stream count in it. the 4850 is just a crippled 4870 (I'm just realizing this now lol)

yeah that's what I don't get, I guess shortening can only occur with a reduction in the memory bus?? the 4850 and 4870 both have the same streams and all but the 4830 should be shorter you'd think since they lowered the stream count in it. the 4850 is just a crippled 4870 (I'm just realizing this now lol)

haha :) .. or MAYBE, the only reason why they are bigger, is because they need more room for a bigger heatsink and fan due to the extra cores. ? ?

Edited by ShallowBay

not always

the 4830 was the same length as a 4870 (and a 4850) since they were the same core

(4830)radeon_4830_front.jpg(4870)4870_card.jpg

the gpu core only takes up like an inch :lol:

now im no engineer but common sense tells me stream count doesn't rely to much on the "physcial" card itself.

EDIT: Who knows (certainly not me :P) but as far as the OP, they'll get smaller in time, they always do :) It's a only a matter of time before companies drop ATI's reference PCB and come up with their own!

Edited by damian

the gpu core only takes up like an inch :lol:

now im no engineer but common sense tells me stream count doesn't rely to much on the "physcial" card itself.

I know I know lol, I'm just saying that other then GDDR3 and GDDR5 the the 4850 is just a crippled 4870. (it's core clocks are lower and can't get as high at the 4870). They should have found a way to make it shorter the 4830 really has no point to exist IMHO

In about negative one years.

Palit made a non reference 3 slot HD4870X2.

haha I remember that. I <3 Palit, crazy b-tards

PALIT_HD4870X2_SYSTEM_2.jpg

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Wow that Palit card is crazy. About the hd5970, I strongly doubt that it will be that long. It makes me wonder though, are some higher end cards wider than usual? I know my hd4850 has plenty of room before it would hit the case side and my case isn't even particularly wide.

Well I don't mean to brag but... Oh, your talking about video cards :lol: All joking aside, ATI probably wont make the final model this big or will at least eventually shrink it, not many will buy a card that wont fit in their cases.

i think one will blow it too , but what about the size ..

hey unkown..

can your case fit 13.6 card ..? ...i know i wrote 0.1 more but you need some space to put it with no worries ..

Dude, mine could probably fit 2 mobos :lol:

My case is HUGE(One reason why I got it is because of everyone always complaining about cards not fitting, I won't have that issue :))