Trouble deciding on new Gaming rig

pra5286

AMD Phenom II 550 or Intel e8400  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Intel vs AMD

• E8400
    • Phenom XII 550

Right i have a problem, i have been unable to decide between building an AMD Phenom XII 550 build or an Intel E8400 ( i will overclock either of them if i decide to purchase, so a decent cooler is also needed ) My proposed build for the AMD build was the following :

Asus M4A79XTD EVO Motherboard

Phenom XII 550 BE

Antec Earthwatts 750W PSU

Antec 900 case

Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB HDD

Asus GTX 275 (granted i was considering buying an Asus HD4890 if it was better or worthwhile... Theres a

I voted AMD because of the future upgradability of the AM3 platform and because socket 775 is going nowhere anymore, end of the line.

Also, you might be able to unlock the 550 into a quad, so that is a bonus if they're good cores B:)

the x2 550 because it's cheaper, just as good, and in this case, you don't get stuck with a crappy nvidia chipset :P

if you are good with OC'n videocards the 5770 would be nice too

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I voted AMD because of the future upgradability of the AM3 platform and because socket 775 is going nowhere anymore, end of the line.

Also, you might be able to unlock the 550 into a quad, so that is a bonus if they're good cores B:)

+1

Phenom II. Unlike the E8400, it leaves you with an upgrade path.

+1

the x2 550 because it's cheaper, just as good, and in this case, you don't get stuck with a crappy nvidia chipset :P

if you are good with OC'n videocards the 5770 would be nice too

+1

Phenom II X2 550. :thumbs-up:

+1

Phenom II. AM3 will be around for a while, 775 is dead.

same performance, better upgrade path.

+1

you guys said what i wanted say :(

one thing to say ..: check the quote in my sig , it says every thing ..;)

Edited by N.E.A

Hmmm, well i think its a clear cut win for the 550, i mean is it even worth me considering an i5 build then? Granted I'd be hard pushed to find the parts for the money i have, plus i'm still deciding between the HD4890 or the GTX275 ( ruling out the 5770 as i really cant be arsed with the volt mod needed to push it properly as it'll just risk frying it ) Another question, does anyone know if the Asus Motherboard has the ability to unlock the other cores on the 550 and if the PCIE slots are compatible with the GTX 275.

I'd say if you build an i5 system and skimp on some things, then it's not worth it. Get a really solid phenom II build, the 275 will work fine on AMD board, it just won't be able to SLI.

I'd say since the prices are so similar get the 275.....check-ah-dis out

maybe he'll ship to ya :thumbs-up:

Hmmm, well i was just curious whether there was any performance difference between the AMD and the Intel platforms... however, i'm still torn between the HD4890 or the GTX275, as if i chose to buy a second gfx i would need to purchase a new board for the GTX, whereas the HD4890 i could simply buy another :/ I will be overclocking these graphics cards (without a volt mod) and im still curious as to whether which one would be best for gaming on a 22" LCD screen on games such as Modern warfare 2 (when it arrives) , Crysis, L4D ( and of course L4D2 when it gets here :P ) Plus i'm kind of an avid CSS player so which one of these two would give me the best performance :D

GTX 275 is slightly better than 4890 but since you may want to Crossfire 4890 seems good and so does 5770.. BTW For the price of GTX275 I think you should be able to get a 5850!!